PDA

View Full Version : September Pastel Strokes

Kathryn Wilson
09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the September edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated last month already know the guidlines. For all newbies, they are as follows.

A new photo project will be posted at the first of each month. The photo is chosen by the guide or moderator hosting each individual month. If you are interested, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.

You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size. Both oilies and softies are invited.

Since we've had a landscape, a floral, and an animal portrait - we have the still life this month. Something a bit different - if you want to personalize this painting, instead of putting my painting that is in the frame, do your own painting, or do something out of your head.

You may simplify this comp, change the items around - whatever you choose, it's up to you. Have fun with it! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2006/14941-still_life.jpg

Here is a link to this image I placed in the RIL at a bigger format:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=66278

Pat Isaac
09-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Okay, Kat. I'm in and i may do a little cropping.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, do whatever you want with it. This is a challenge, but we don't grow unless we try. Go for it!

Deborah Secor
09-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Wow, Kat! I don't do much still life and this looks hard to me... I've saved the photo and played around. I may try one of these crops...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/23609-still_life1.jpg
I like the verticals this way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/23609-still_life2.jpg
Hmmm, maybe it's a little too cropped off at the top, but I can play with it! I took out a lot of the objects--if I can do one thing at a time I might be able to pull this off. :o

Ran off to Photoshop and played some more!:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/23609-still_life3.jpg
Hmmm, wanted to change the color some... I kinda like this. You know me and COLOR.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/23609-still_life4.jpg
Maybe I got a little carried away, but this one was fun. I could use a colorful painting in the frame too...

Any suggestions from you on how to simplify and make this a little easier for those of us with less experience painting a still life?

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, do whatever you want with it. This is a challenge, but we don't grow unless we try. Go for it!

Ooops--didn't see your post when I edited this... sorry! I know, growth is the point here. I guess I need to learn how to do still life better. Hey--can I abstract it? That might be fun!

Deborah

enaid
09-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Is there a high res version of this? When I downloaded it, it was only 32kb so that makes it difficult to zoom in...to many pixels.

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately WC only allows a certain size - if you want to email me, I can send you something larger.

Oh, I can lots of possibilities here - just do the boat with the geraniums, or how about the oil can and the geraniums. Play with the photo, change the background color, flip the picture. Add or subtract something of yours. Abstract would be so much fun!

This is your place to shine.

Deborah Secor
09-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Kat, can the resolution be higher in a thumbnail? I'm not clear on this, but it seems like it can...

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Moved this just temporarily - it will be back.

robodcr
09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
hello everyone: kyle still life is great i had a go oil pastel on paper
found it hard but liked the challenge keep up good work dave

robodcr
09-03-2006, 03:41 PM
hi everyone posted this in wrong place last time so hope it gets to you all:kyle great still life though i found it hard but good challenge so here is my effort oil pastels on paper keep up the good work dave....:wave:

Kathryn Wilson
09-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi robodcr! This was a challenging project and you took it on with OP's no less - I am impressed! I do OP's also - but not on a regular basis - so I know the difficulties you encountered.

I like the crop and you got all the elements in - even the painting. Very nice!

How long have you been doing Oil Pastels? Do you enjoy using them - when I want to get down and dirty, I'll use my hands and fingers to do all sorts of blending and layering.

I know that copper oil can would be fun to do - it's got all sorts of highlights on it.

Thanks for participating - :)

Pat Isaac
09-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Nice job on the still life, Dave. It certainly is a challenge and you did a great job. I might tone down the white frame as it competes a little with the sail.

Pat

sundiver
09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Nice one, Rob! I like how the white mat and white sail tie the other objects together.

johndill01
09-03-2006, 10:22 PM
This is my effort at the still life. ~ 20 x 30 on black suede cloth, using various soft pastels. Kyle, Thanks for posting this challenge.

Johnhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2006/50746-WC_004.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
09-03-2006, 10:30 PM
John, excellent work here - I had to rub my eyes to make sure it wasn't the photo. The boat's sails are well done as is the shine on the copper oil can - so glad you give this a shot.

robodcr
09-04-2006, 03:51 AM
thankyou pat,wendy great picture john dave....

Pat Isaac
09-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Nice piece, John. Really stands out on the dark paper and I like the shiny copper.

Pat

pequan
09-04-2006, 11:05 AM
this will be a major challenge for me, since I do not have the experience it seems most of you have....but I will conquer it somehow... Great job robodcr, I love the white mat against the sail......fantastic painting John, it looks very similar to the photo..the metalic look is pefect.

robodcr
09-04-2006, 03:00 PM
cheers kat i do like the op`s i have been using them about a year i am making slow but steady progress....cheers dave

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
pequan - challenge is growth - you will learn so much in the doing. It might not be a successful painting, but you will take what you learned on to your next painting. Then again, you might surprise yourself - :)

Pat Isaac
09-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Good advice, Kat. Glad you like the OPs, Dave.

Pat

AngelaF
09-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Very brave of you robodcr! This work shows much progress on your part and is well done. Your colors match the subject well and the highlights on the ship are especially well done.

John - Outstanding!!! Of the three strokes I've seen you do -- this is the most complete and beautiful one I have seen you render. Your work makes this still life beautiful and interesting. I would love to see the large original. I can't believe you work as fast as you do, how many hours would you say you put in? Do you do a sketch on other paper and then transfer first?

Looking forward to seeing others.

johndill01
09-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks to all who have commented.
I can't believe you work as fast as you do, how many hours would you say you put in? Do you do a sketch on other paper and then transfer first?

I normally work straight to the support with pastels. I also normally do not sketch the outline, instead I push the pastels to the shape that I as looking for. Frequently takes more than one attempt to get the shape right. This painting probably took about 4 hours total time. Worked on it off and on for about 4 days. Most times I only work about 1 hour or less due to old carpal tunnel injuries.

Dave, great job with the oilies. Am going to have to try some good ones one of these days. Have some student grade and they drive me crazy.

Looking forward to seeing what others do.

Keep painting. John

Pat Isaac
09-05-2006, 06:37 PM
yes, John, try some pro oilies, they will make a big difference. Dakota offers some sampler packs of the pro brands to try before you spend the big bucks.

Pat

johndill01
09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks Pat. Don't know why, but I keep forgetting about Dakota. It couldn't have anything to do with oldtimers disease :D

John

sundiver
09-06-2006, 12:09 PM
John, that's wonderful!
Is the suede cloth you use made specifically for art?

sundiver
09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately WC only allows a certain size - if you want to email me, I can send you something larger.

Kat, you can also, if you wish, put the image into the RIL in a larger size, and post a link to it here. That's what the WDE hosts often do. Of course, that also means it is available to any who go in there... maybe you can delete it afterward, I'm not sure.

Kathryn Wilson
09-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Okay Wendy, I'll give that a shot.

Here's the link:

I also placed it at the bottom of the first post. Hopefully people will find it.

johndill01
09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Wendy, the cloth that I use is purchased at a local fabric store. (At a discount store this runs about $9.00 US). I have no idea about the archival qualities of the fabric, but would guess that under proper storage conditions it has a long life. The fabric is fun to paint on, unless one goes against the grain. Then the fabric has a tendency to "pill" on the pastel stroke. One thing that does happen is how much the black pushes some of the pastel darks. On application, one finds that the dark is not nearly as dark as it appears in the stick.

John

AngelaF
09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the information, John. When you say you put in the shapes with pastel and that it sometimes take more than one try, do you mean you are able erase on this fabric? If so, with what? Thanks for sharing!

johndill01
09-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Wendy, almost any of the techniques that work on paper also work on suede cloth. A stiff suede leather brush is excellent, as is strips of cellophane tape, blue tack or one of it's many derivatives, and also a gum eraser (just keep kneading to a clean surface. Also forgot to mention moving the painting outdoors and using a small stream of compressed air (compressor or canned).

Basically it is just blocking in the shapes, then refining the shape until it looks like the object, then add the highlights and push the dark areas. One of the reasons I like pastels so much. This technique works in oil also, but for me not quite as easily as pastels.

John

skintone
09-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Wow these are both very well done. This image will be a challenge to me, but I'm getting the itch to try it.

Kathryn Wilson
09-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I think you need to give it a try - at least a part of it that you feel comfortable with. dee_artist uploaded some suggestions you might think on.

sundiver
09-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Okay Wendy, I'll give that a shot.

Here's the link:

I also placed it at the bottom of the first post. Hopefully people will find it.

Excellent! It's humungous now!

Pat Isaac
09-08-2006, 04:05 PM
That's just great!! and it is humungous..

Pat

paul444
09-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Well done David and John, two excellent paintings and so quick.
Time to sit down and have a go myself. Looks quite daunting.:eek:

Bhavana Vijay
09-11-2006, 12:23 AM
I loved both your paintings John and David!

Thanks Kat for the wonderful image. This certainly was a challenge but tons of fun. I loved working on all the different textures.

This is 11" x 14" on black canson, smooth side.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2006/70937-stilllife500.jpg

Pat Isaac
09-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Bhavana, this is really great and well done. Nice copper pot.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
09-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Wow, you took on the challenge and did a great job! The shiny gold frame, the copper pot, the sails on the pond boat and the geraniums all look real.

Excellent job!

AngelaF
09-11-2006, 12:41 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Very nice job, bhavij, your colors and the realism are very well done.

pequan
09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
beautiful job bhavij...very real, very nice!!

johndill01
09-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Bhavana, well done. Isn't it great to paint on a black surface? Makes the colors really pop.

John

Bhavana Vijay
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Thank you Pat, Kat, AnjelaF, Pequan and John! Kat, the larger picture really helped.
Yes, i loved working on black. I was worried about working on canson but it went a lot better this time i think!!:)

pequan
09-15-2006, 09:29 AM
this was a doozy!! used Canson's "waffle" side for texture,Art spectrum and Schminke soft pastels..... all I can say is I gave it a shot, and had some fun doing it...

Kathryn Wilson
09-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Cool Pequan! You did a better job on the boat than I did - knowing nothing about how sails should look!

I'll be posting my version sometime this weekend - need to do some clean-up.

Pat Isaac
09-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Great job pequan. Glad you had fun doing it.

Pat

paul444
09-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Bhavana- great painting, I also like the way you painted the copper pot.

Pequan- Another great painting, love the way you cropped it.

Well here is my attempt. considering i thought the picture quite daunting once I started I really enjoyed doing it.
Faber-Castell pencils on black colourfix paper. 9 X 6.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2006/82968-ship_still_life.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
09-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Wow, Paul, excellent job! I especially like the boat and the shine on the copper oil can - and you got the shape of that oil can down pat!

Glad you had fun even though it was a challenge - :)

pequan
09-17-2006, 09:37 AM
gorgeous Paul......I love the reflections on the sails and the keel!

Kathryn Wilson
09-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Here's my version - a quick study, about 2 hours, 9 x12 on Art Spectrum.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2006/14941-sailboat-wc.jpg

I think the hardest part was re-creating my own painting - LOL!

Pat Isaac
09-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Nice crisp color, Kat. I know what you mean,:lol:

Pat

pequan
09-17-2006, 07:19 PM
love it Kyle...especially the oil can! perhaps you can explain how that gorgeous pot can be an oil can... thanks

Kathryn Wilson
09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
It is actually a kerosene lamp filler, or an oil lamp filler - thus the long swan neck and the little cap and chain on the end - made of brass and copper, it is approximately 85 years old. Thanks for asking.

Oh, and the boat is called a pond boat - sailed on ponds by little and big boys - :)

CM Neidhofer
09-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Here's my Sept. Pastel Strokes project. A little looser than what I usually do, but I've been trying to loosen up a little, so maybe it works.

Christinehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/40633-Sept,_Pastel_Strokes.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
09-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Yes, this is definitely loose - how fast did you paint this? I love painting fast - you just lose yourself in your painting and not stopping to think much on it. It's a freeing feeling - for me, it doesn't matter if the painting doesn't turn out that well - just living and enjoying the moment!

I like how this turned out - all the elements are there and you can tell what each texture is - the shiny copper, the flower and leaf texture, the wood boat - good going!

After I got done with this painting, it really made me want to do more copper pots! That was the most fun for me.

CM Neidhofer
09-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Yes, this is definitely loose - how fast did you paint this?

It was finished in several sittings, but probably not more than 2-2 1/2 hours all together. I used it in the weekly sketch thread for a one hour, WIP sketch, then finished up from there.

Christine

Pat Isaac
09-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Nice loose feel and unity of color.

Pat

pequan
09-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Christy: nice, really nice...especially the 85 year old oil lamp filler pot! (lol)

CM Neidhofer
10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Is there going to be an October Pastel Strokes???

Christine

Kathryn Wilson
10-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Yes, Sundiver will be putting it up shortly.