PDA

View Full Version : Town Gardens Bandstand

Sonia
08-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Primarily a watercolourist, I keep trying to get to grips with gouache. Sometimes it works for me (usually when I'm doodling), but not often when I try something serious!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2006/17097-Bandstandink_web.jpg

Gouache, Indian ink and watercolour

The gouache in this is used as a resist before the ink wash.

Richard Saylor
08-31-2006, 06:04 PM
What a lovely painting, as are the others on your web site! Sometime when you get the opportunity, it would be nice if you could explain in more detail the ink resist technique used in your mixed media paintings.

Whoops! I just noticed the link to your ink resist article. :o

Richard

Sonia
08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your comments Richard. More details about this technique are given in the article I put up on the Mixed Media Forum - just click the link below my signature.

JamieWG
08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Sonia, this is a truly charming painting! I agree with you completely---Gouache is such a wonderful "playtime" medium. I too have been defeated in some of my more serious attempts! It's great for doodles and sketches, and is full of nice surprises! I do better with it on my more unplanned ventures.

Jamie

Richard Saylor
08-31-2006, 09:40 PM
My problem with gouache is that almost every painting seems to get to a certain stage where it looks like total crap, and it is impossible to see how any more work could possibly salvage it. That's when it is in grave danger of getting tossed. However, if one persists, it usually turns out to be not as bad as it seemed.

Richard

AriadneArts
09-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Very sweet painting, Sonia. Guess I'll have to give Gouache a try one of these days. *Sigh* So little time, so much to try........:)

Sonia
09-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Jamie and Richard, I have to agree with what you both say about gouache. I tend to use it with my "watercolour mindset" and then am quite surprised to find it can be "over-worked" to such good effect.

You might be interested in the following demo by Roger Dellar:

http://website.lineone.net/~samdauncey/fcsa/History/Dellar.htm

Thanks Eileen - the choice of materials and methods are so vast these days - as you say, there never seems to be enough time to try them all!!! Imagine what a vast storehouse of part-used/unused art materials there must be lying around in artists and "would-be" artists studios!!

Terry Wynn
09-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi, Sonia,

Lovely painting. I find it very pleasing with just enough detail but not too much. I will have to look at your website. Oh, and thank you for the link to Mr. Dellar.

Terry

JanB
09-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Delightful!!

pinkrybns
09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Lovely painting Sonia, and an interesting technique.
I was just reading something about using oil pastel as a resist with gouache as the overpainting.

So many posibilities. :)

Robin Neudorfer
09-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Lovely painting. Not sure what is wc and what is gouache. Can you explaine why you felt the need to combine the two? Just wondering. As they are both water mediums. Gouache is such a lovely creamy medium, and can be layered. This must be done with a delicate hand.

Sonia
09-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Terry, JanB - thanks for looking. Judy, yes I have seen some oil pastel/gouache work - very vibrant. Robin, on this one I just used white gouache as a resist and then used the watercolour on the final "colouring" stage. I could have started with coloured gouache, but I was much happier colour mixing with the watercolours I have been using for years. I am getting more used to "taming" the sometimes overbright gouache tints.

Robin Neudorfer
09-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Interesting method Sonia. I have never seen this before. I can see how you could get some very nice results with this. Thanks for letting me know.