PDA

View Full Version : Practicing w/suede paper

dippin'colors
08-30-2006, 10:11 AM
I have been using the suede paper for a short time now and really love it, but it takes some getting used to so I keep practicing different techniques. The first is a plein aire from a local park..using Rembrant soft pastels and pale grey suede paper; second is imaginary using Derwent pastel pencils on royal blue suede. Both are 8 1/2 by 11 inches. Please be honest in critique but also please be helpful..tell how and what to do to correct what you think needs correcting and why. I really want to learn this and to do so I have to understand. Any help is VERY much appreciated!!!!Brenda
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2006/67372-Arbor.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2006/67372-Clear-Night.jpg

Bringer
08-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi Brenda,

Lets see if I can give a useful opinion.
I work with velour sometimes - I think it's similar to suede - and I like it.
It can give a soft look, which can be useful or not.
Using a top brand of pastels for final touches can enhance the brilliance, in case you need it, of course.
Now about your works.
The first one, being an outdoor painting, is quite good. It seems to need some darker values, or maybe the Sun was too high.
Are there some shades missing ?
Otherwise I think it's good.
I'm working on a painting that has some of the problems yours has, but mine needs alot of work to become at least reasonable.
As for the second painting: I will confess that I seldome pay attention to composition and when I start reading about it, it doesn't take me long to get bored. But when I look at your painting, I don't know if I should look at the mountains and the moon (which I find well achieved), or to the lower part with the characters.
In my opinion, a lower and closer view of the characters (like seeing from a human level) and the mountains in the background (being higher than they are) would be better.
Just imagine yourself with one of those steadycams going down and making a zoom. What do you think ?

Kind regards,

Josť

dippin'colors
08-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Thank you Jose'; what you have said is really helpful to me. The first one scanned lighter than it is but you're right about needing a few more darks. I did it about 3 in the afternoon on a sunny day so there would be a little more shadow. The second I was trying to show the wide expanse of open prarie (sp?). Too much maybe? I like your idea of a zoom lens. Lots of good ideas to mull over. Thank you!!!!!!! Brenda

artseefartsee
08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I love working on suede matboard and velour, I start out with hard pastels and lay in some good darks, using Nupastels and save the softer ones for finishing, that way I can get a painting that isn't "fuzzy", My last piece is posted in this forum as "2's company, 5"s a crowd" although it's an animal painting, it is sharp, crisp and has quite a bit of contrast. Your first piece has lots of interest, but no real focal point, if you will put some darks in and around the area that you want to be noticed first it will add more interest, also put a little more intense color in that area. The night piece strikes me as just the opposite, maybe a little more lights in the focal area, along with some color. You have a good imagination and lots of desire, so I feel that you will only continue to improve with practice. That's what it takes.
Sheila

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi dippin' - I changed your format for the photos a bit - in order for the forum format to stay within the size of the viewable page on screen, you need to put one photo on top of the other, not side by side. Easy enough for me to fix.

I really like your first plein air - it needs a little punch where the sun might have been hitting the foliage - but all in all a good effort.

dippin'colors
09-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks all for the input. I am working on revisions now and will post when done. Brenda