PDA

View Full Version : you asked for it

Lady Grey
03-20-2002, 02:19 PM
This is something I made for my grandma for her birthsday. It is cut out form green cardboard, the background is dark cherry cardboard. I don't remember the exact size - it was about 8 x 6 inches. Quite an exhausting work on the wings, but I loved it :D (it took alltogehter about 10 hours)
Hope you like it.
Lady Grey

artbabe21
03-20-2002, 05:49 PM
:clap:

Lady Grey! That is beautiful and WOW so time consuming! Love the wings----'fly-fly-be free' as my grands would say!!
Cathleen~

joemajury
03-20-2002, 06:21 PM
This is beautiful, so intricate, I would love to see the tool you use for the small cutouts.( Im sure your Gran was well pleased )

Joe
;) ;)

Loxley
03-20-2002, 10:18 PM
This is really neat. I can see why it took you 10 hours. I bet she loved it. A good idea too.:clap:

Lady Grey
03-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Thx everybody for kind words. My Grandma loved it indeed:D She said, she will hang it in her bedroom, so it will be the first thing she sees after waking up.
Joe - I'm still using the same two cutters for big parts and for details. I belive, I've showed them in that forum once. I attached the picture once again. The blades are very thin and about 7 mm long. I change them quite often in order to have nice, "clean" cuts.
Lady Grey

artbabe21
03-21-2002, 02:48 PM
Nice tools, were do they come from? I've ever seen the angled blade? I BET you go through the blades!!
Cathleen~:(

diane555
03-21-2002, 02:49 PM
Lady grey

This is absolutely beautiful! good cutting work. I know how much concentration goes into this kind of work and you've done an outstanding job here :) it's nice to see people ar keeping some of these old arts alive. Thanks for sharing.

di

Lady Grey
03-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Cathleen - I bought them in China, they nothing special actually, very average tools. I would love to buy the real Japanese cutters for isekatagami and kiri-e, but I would have to import them, so they would be quite expensive :( The angled tool is for cutting curves, but I seldom use it - it's not very handy IMHO.
Di - it is a very old kind of art, indeed. I thought, why not adapt an old technique for modern topics ? I'm getting more and more involed in cutting - I would like to try something more difficult, like multilayer cutout.
Lady Grey

joemajury
03-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Thank you for showing me these, i was REALLY curious.
Now can I ask you that next time you do a piece where you can show us step by step pictures.
I really find these invaluable and because of my brain problems, these help me understand MUCH more, i look forward to seeing one of your Demos.Your work fascinates me !!

Joe
;) ;)

Lady Grey
03-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Joe - of course I can do some kind of a demo. I will try to prepare something on Monday - I have a day off, so I think I will be able to finish my "Spring" and make some photos of it - materials, technique, step-by-step guide etc.
Lady Grey

Leaflin
04-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Lady Grey
I so enjoy looking at your wonderful work but this one knocked my socks off :D
What a great feeling it must be to know how much your Grandma loves it.
Well done!

somk
04-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Just one word, not very constructive but I admire this kind of work : Wow :)
Did you try with 2 different papers/colours one on top of the other ? It sure could make cool effects... *thinks*

TeAnne
04-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Ohhhhhh LG this is awesome. 10 hours? OMG what patience.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Wendy Booth
04-04-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Lady Grey
I would like to try something more difficult

More difficult??? It looks so fiddly, I can't imagine doing something more difficult.

Well done though - this is outstanding. Your Grandma is lucky.:)

Lady Grey
04-04-2002, 05:29 AM
People, you are too good for me :D
Leaflean - I hope you've already found your sock, I don't wanna be a reason of your cold :p
somk - I'm thinking about trying something new - with more than 2 colors and more than two layers, but i haven't sorted it out yet so it can take a while :)
TeAnne - hmm 10 hours is not so much - I'm currently working on a cheetah cutout - guess how much will that one take :D
Wendy - maybe I suprise you someday :)
Lady Grey