PDA

View Full Version : Porsche

Robin Neudorfer
08-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I have not painted in gouache in many years.
This was done quite a while ago, but I remember loving the qualities of gouache. Once mastered, this medium is beautiful, and yet must be treated very tenderly when finished.
There is a fabulous artist by the name of Syd Mead, that has incredible work in this medium.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2006/30341-Porche.jpg

DominicM
08-29-2006, 06:13 PM
wow a stunner

Richard Saylor
08-29-2006, 11:32 PM
...Once mastered, this medium is beautiful, and yet must be treated very tenderly when finished...Exquisite painting, Robin!

Thanks for mentioning the delicacy of the paint film. Gouache is usually thought of as a very robust medium, like poster paint. However, just one false move (such as a very light scratch by a fingernail) can mar the beautiful matte finish, and usually nothing can be done to correct it.

Richard

Robin Neudorfer
08-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Dominic - Hey, thanks a million!

Richard - I appreciate your kind words.
I never treated this painting very kindly, and it shows the abuse. Even though it was a special piece to me, because I was told I couldn't pull it off. I think I did okay.

Carguy
08-30-2006, 12:11 AM
I am a happy camper. Not only do I find this forum for the first time, the first post I look at deals with a subject that is very close to my heart. I have used gouache exclusively up until now, and I love it. Tough to get the good quality paint at my local art supply store though.

As for the Porsche, it is simply wonderful! You captured it beautifully. Now the question is, you got any more like that?

Robin Neudorfer
08-30-2006, 01:30 AM
I am glad that I could make a camper happy.
I was educated with a few car nuts as well. I will have to see if I have any more autos tucked away. This was the only large format though.
Do you know the gouache master - Syd Mead?

AriadneArts
08-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Wonderful piece, Robin. Hope you'll have more to show.

dbclemons
08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I met Syd Mead (http://www.sydmead.com/v/01/splash/)at a seminar a few years back in Northern California. He's a pretty nice fellow. His skills are very deep, and his film designs are legendary.

You demonstrate much control over the medium here, Robin. Nice job.

Robin Neudorfer
08-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Eileen - thanks a bunch.... I will look.

David - I don't remember meeting him, possibly caught a glimpse of him from a far. However, I remember his solo show at Art Center College of Design when I attended there, and was blown away at his skill with the brush.
There is something very natural about this medium, in my opinion. I think seeing his work, helped me to understand how far this medium can be pushed.
Thanks for your kind words.

Fozbot
08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
i 'stumbled' in here to look around and what do i see?! i love your Porsche, Robin! amazing work!!

Carguy
08-31-2006, 07:22 PM
I had seen some of Syd Mead's work before, but wasn't really familiar with what he has done. Nice work.

tyree
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
wow....tyree:wave:

Robin Neudorfer
08-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Billie - I can't imagine you stumbling anywhere. I think you have a purpose and are definitely on a search. Glad you came by.

Tyree - thanks

Fozbot
09-02-2006, 10:50 PM
:rolleyes: welllll... i DID get my latest Blick catalog and saw all the gouache and egg tempuras they're offering. i was curious about this medium and what other folks thought of it. i think i've seen your Porsche before, Robin. loved it then and still do.:) i didn't realize you had done it w/gouache!

JamieWG
09-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Excellent realism, Robin! It does go to show how versatile a medium gouache is. Have you done any plein air gouache yet?

Jamie

Robin Neudorfer
09-03-2006, 12:51 AM
Billie - It isn't an easy medium to jump in to. You probably saw this in my Bio for the perspective class. I posted it there. I think once you get a handle on the watercolors then the gouache is another water based paint. Very similar in set up, but quite different in the look and feel.
I have wanted to try egg tempera, but am attempting to understand oils before I switch gears. It may be a while.

Jamie - Hi and thank you. It is very versatile. I have not picked up gouache in many years. I haven't done any plein air with gouache. As I stated above, I am trying to get a handle on oils. I think it would dry to fast for me.

nerair
09-03-2006, 08:31 AM
this looks awesome,don't know gouache,but in airbrush they use it too,great painting!

pinkrybns
09-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Beautiful work and subtle palette.

Sorry, I was away for a week, just trying to catch up here. Very glad you posted this Robin. I am a newbie to using gouache, but I love the medium.

:)
Judy

Robin Neudorfer
09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
nerair - thanks, yes I have seen it used in and airbrush. I purchased one, but early on decided that the brush is my tool of choice.

Judy - it is amazing how in one week the threads can take off.
I realize for some, that realism isn't their thing. I am challenged by it, and enjoy the focus. TY for your kind comments.

pinkrybns
09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
nerair - thanks, yes I have seen it used in and airbrush. I purchased one, but early on decided that the brush is my tool of choice.

Judy - it is amazing how in one week the threads can take off.
I realize for some, that realism isn't their thing. I am challenged by it, and enjoy the focus. TY for your kind comments.Oh Robin! I like it all, realism, abstract, miniature, gigantic, conceptual, installation, minimalist, new, old, ancient, not even done yet, eastern, western, etc., etc., ... don't worry about that! :) :) and I'd like to see more if you dig any up.

JanB
09-03-2006, 05:47 PM
WoW Robin super realism!!

Robin Neudorfer
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks Jan - that was what was expected. I am glad that I was able to pull it off.

idcrisis55
09-06-2006, 05:44 AM
It has all been said but I just have to applaud the shine and glass work. Beautifully done.

Ann

Jon
09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
.......Even though it was a special piece to me, because I was told I couldn't pull it off. I think I did okay.

tentativeartist
09-08-2006, 01:34 PM
I just found this forum today and after seeing this post, had to reply! I am blown away! You have done a magnificent job. At first glance I thought it was your reference photo. Beautiful! :D

Robin Neudorfer
09-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Jon - Yes that car was a beautiful product. Wish they would make more like that. Unfortunately, this was not related to anyone I knew. Captured it on the street one day.

Tiffany - I guess because gouache is not used much these days, it took some momentum to get a forum for it.
You are so kind. All of my gouache dried up, otherwise I would be tempted. These days I am working in oils, pencil, and charcoal.
Who knows though... I do nuts in the art store.