PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Gouache!

Richard Saylor
08-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Daniel K. Tennant is a professional artist who paints only with gouache. Whether or not you appreciate his style, you may find his mastery of the medium to be inspiring. http://www.danielktennant.com/artwork/photorealism/index.html

Richard

IrishRose
08-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Richard,

Thanks for the website! Incredible paintings!!!! His work is breathtaking... I thought they were photos! Amazing!

JanB
08-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Photorealism isn't the way I work :lol: but I have an immense amount of respect for artists who do it with precision and excellence especially if they are working form life and not photos, projectors etc. In found it interesting that he uses an airbrush, too.

Richard Saylor
08-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Photorealism isn't the way I work :lol: but I have an immense amount of respect for artists who do it with precision and excellence especially if they are working form life and not photos, projectors etc. In found it interesting that he uses an airbrush, too.Yes, he "cheats." :) He uses transparent watercolors in an airbrush for shadows. It certainly gives smooth transitions. I use watercolors along with gouache (as do many gouache artists), but I don't mess with an airbrush (too much trouble). About the best I can do with smooth transitions is in this still life, where I used cross hatching.

Richard

IrishRose
08-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Richard, that's amazing! It looks like a colored pencil drawing! What patience you have! :) Beautiful!

AriadneArts
08-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Very nicely done, Richard.

a. ladd
10-06-2006, 09:24 PM
If you find some of Tennant's earlier, pre-airbrush work in gouache (I have some in an old ARTIST magazine) you'll see that it's not nearly as slick, precise or subtle.