PDA

View Full Version : Plein Air Paintings of Scotland

Tressa
08-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok, I got a bit of sleep, and downloaded the paintings I did while in the Perthshire area, although I am not going to name the area these were in at this time, I will be on my blog later..these are all plein air, and have not been retouched or tweaked since the day of painting..some are unfinished...and I kinda like them this way..the only one I will explain more about is the rooftops..we were asked to paint our impression of Scotland, and this was my interpretation, castles, mts, and roofs..heather, etc...so a bit of all the things I loved about being there.. anyhoos, here they are...
Tres

Tressa
08-27-2006, 07:41 PM
A couple more, and I also did a lot of sketching, and watercolors that I will be posting on the WC forum and my blog later...
Thanks for looking, Tres

Kathryn Day
08-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Tressa, your paintings are so nice. I really love the third one done. The foreground with the turquoise blue is terrific. Did you enjoy plein air painting? Did you find it more difficult than studio painting?

Kathryn Wilson
08-27-2006, 07:46 PM
These are great Tressa - I especially love how you handled the skies in each of the paintings.

Welcome back!

beebluefern
08-27-2006, 07:51 PM
:thumbsup: Great Paintings Tress! Ahhhh, Scotland is a beautiful country and a great place to paint as well. Love your rooftops and E. Castle! Well done.:clap: :clap:

sundiver
08-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Yes, the skies, fabulous! First one's my favorite.

Tressa
08-27-2006, 08:27 PM
LOL, Scotland is ALL about the skies...they change every minute:rolleyes: I am going to do some more paintings and JUST concentrate on the different skies I have seen while there... thanks for the comments :wave:

Tressa
08-27-2006, 08:31 PM
got a few mins, so will name the places...
1. Blair Atholl
2.Fortingall
3.Loch Tay After Sunrise
4.Aberfeldy
5.Kenmore Gate at Taymouth Castle Nighttime
6.Fortingall

K Taylor-Green
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh wow, super. I really love the second and third one. Especially the second, no, the third.....well, I can't make up my mind!!!!

Merriel
08-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Welcome back. I have to say just like it is...These are gorgeous. Your
strong color just sings to me. You must be so inspired.

leirrem

KJSCL
08-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Great landscapes Tress. Lovely colors too. What size are they on average?

Punky2
08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
These are beautiful. I really like the first and the third...and the fourth.

Terri

PeggyB
08-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Great color Tres. These paintings look inspired. Question: Were you working with a watercolor underpainting? The skies on my monitor have a watercolor look to them in some areas.
Peggy

PS - oh my Tres - I just saw this is my 1000th posting! :D

Tressa
08-28-2006, 06:33 AM
1000th?????:eek: :D

Good eye, Peggy...yes some of them have a watercolor underpainting, and some are on KW greymist, and others on the white...
The one of Loch Tay is a strong watercolor under, and I left some of the drips showing...
Tres

Tressa
08-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Great landscapes Tress. Lovely colors too. What size are they on average?

Thanks Kathy, they are mostly full sheets of Wallis, except for the rooftops, and the castle gate, which are 1/4 sheets...
Tres

meowmeow
08-28-2006, 08:15 AM
These are gorgeous! I saw the watercolors earlier but just noticed these now. I loike them all but I realy love the 4th one over in the first post...gorgeous sky. Wonderful skies in all of them. Looks like this was a fabulous trip!

Sandy

M Douglas
08-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Welcome back Tres, from the looks of these paintings I would say you had a wonderful time! They are all wonderful.

Melodie

Shari
08-28-2006, 10:28 AM
These are great, how long did these take to paint? Thank you for sharing them. I especially love the blue lake one. I have always wanted to go to Scotland. I love your watercolors also.

Karen Margulis
08-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Welcome back! Your paintings are just wonderful!!! It looks like you were very inspired! Thanks for sharing them. I need to go take a look at your watercolors next!

Karen

kordelia
08-29-2006, 01:30 PM
hi ho, Tressa.... glad yr back safe and sound.... with a portfolio full!!! I think you should call that third one "Genesis".... it has the feel of the earth cooling and settling into a Paradise .... lovely!! the very last one (7th??) is the way i picture Scotland.... rustic with the rusty/golds... i lovethat one... so the others were really a surprise of color!! Good show, Gal!! :wave: Kordelia

Bringer
08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi Tres,

Great works, lousy photos:p :lol:

Kind regards,

Josť

Tressa
08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
LOL, Jose...I was so tired, and the darn camera REFUSED to cooperate:rolleyes:
so they is, what they is....:evil:

Thanks everyone for your kudos..I hope to paint a lot more paintings from sketches, photos, and memory, and not be fighting the Scottish light:lol:
no shadows, oops! shadows.. rain....mist...clouds whooshing by...WOW! Blue Sky!!...changed every flippin five minutes:lol:
Tres

beebluefern
08-29-2006, 05:48 PM
LOL, Jose...I was so tired, and the darn camera REFUSED to cooperate:rolleyes:
so they is, what they is....:evil:

Thanks everyone for your kudos..I hope to paint a lot more paintings from sketches, photos, and memory, and not be fighting the Scottish light:lol:
no shadows, oops! shadows.. rain....mist...clouds whooshing by...WOW! Blue Sky!!...changed every flippin five minutes:lol:
Tres

:lol: That's the truth...I tried to paint once in Selkirk and couldn't get the brush loaded before the weather changed from sunny to rain!!!

Doodlebug1967
08-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Tres,
These are beautiful. Looks like you had a great trip and it was awesome for your inspiring work. Wish there were more to look at!

Ronda

Mike_Beeman
08-31-2006, 12:52 AM
The first reminds me of my little time in Scotland! How lucky you are not only to do the travel but find the time to paint while your there...great pieces! mike

paul444
08-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Great paintings Tres, you have been busy. Glad you had a fantastic holiday and welcome back.

valchina612
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Great paintings Tressa. Scotland certainly is a great place for painting. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Adriana Meiss
09-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Welcome back Tres,
Nice paintings! Your first one is my favorite. I love the sky!
I can only imagine how hard it must be to paint under continuosly changing weather.
Adriana

AnnieA
09-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Beautiful paintings, Tressa...such an exciting use of color in them all. Even if the weather wasn't cooperating, you clearly managed to produce some great paintings.

Welcome back! :wave: I'll be looking forward to further installments, Tressa! :)

DFGray
09-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi Tressa
these look like how I imagine Scotland to be

Tressa
09-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Gah, you guys are so kind in your commets...
Thanks bunches to all of you, Ronda, Mike, Paul, Val, Adriana, Annie, Dan...

Dan..the scenery was awsome, breathtaking, and everywhere you turned, a painting waiting to happen!! It was so HARD to decide on just one thing at a time to paint!!! I would have gladly stayed there for weeks to just get a smidge of the area on paper...
Tres

Bhavana Vijay
09-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Welcome back Tres! Wonderful paintings, all of them, but i think the third is my favorite!

sielograms
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Tres, welcome back. Beautiful paintings, watercolors included. Hope to see more from your sketches, photos, memory, etc. All your paintings are so rich in color! Where are the sheep??? Sharon

Tressa
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Bhavana!! Good to hear from you!! Hope you had a wonderful time in India...

BAH!! Sharon!! I have been PROCRASTINATING on the sheep:lol: Trust me I saw PLENTY!!! I was just looking at some of my photos today of the sheep and those woolly cows...:D
Tres

*Marina*
09-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Tres, I love your paintings of Scotland. pleased to read you had a great time. Thought a lot about you as the weather was so bad in Holland and was wondering how you were getting on in usually wet Scotland.

Jo Castillo
09-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Tressa, these are lovely and a great remembrance of your trip. Glad you are back and posting again.

Jo

scall0way
09-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Gosh, my nice long post seems to have vanished. So this time I'll be quick and say I love these, especially the fourth. Makes me yearn to visit Scotland again, which I saw for the first and last time in 1977.

HarvestMoon
09-10-2006, 06:04 PM
wow- an entire library of paintings - they are all terrific. I love Scotland, have not been there in many years- sure do miss it.