PDA

View Full Version : French Easel question...

Shoutout33
08-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Ok. I hope I've gotten the main pastel forum, because I have a question of all pastelists! I know that the Jullian French easels are the creme-de-la-crem, of all french easels. What I need to know is...who comes in second and third.:lol: :p I think that I'm set on the french easels, but I'm still looking into the gurella(sp) boxes too. As far as the french easels go, what other brands are out there, that are made of good quality, but don't kill your budget either. Thanks for the help in advance.

Daris "Des Cotton

PS

FYI: I will using Caran D'ache oil pastels to start. Going to trying and get the whole set too. Need suggestions on some really good paper, for final projects and a fixative.

chewie
08-26-2006, 11:02 PM
i see in the judson catalog that mabef is one of the top french easels, and while at a paint out, a few others were discussing f/e. the cheap brands are just that, cheap--and will fall apart on you all too soon. the mabef ran me around $140, and is very solid. the other painters also commented on this brand, saying theirs also lasted a good long while, in fact, one was sooo paint smeared, it was hard to see what it was, but it was still going strong!
my f/e has fell over while all closed up, smacking flat on cement, and nothing happened--not a stick was chipped, not a splinter of wood, not a thing wrong. i was certain i'd have nothing left but dust, as the drawer is stuffed full of pastels. my set up is in another thread, not long ago, if you want to see it all. its not special, but sturdy, comfortable, and durable. good luck!

PeggyB
08-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Chewie gave you good advise. I have one of each - a full sized mabef, and a half sized Jullien plien air. Where French easels are concerned, in my opinion buying a less expensive one is penny wise, pound foolish. Look on line at the various vendors' sites and you can frequently find them on sale. Dick Blick for instance has a wide variety of choices and prices - including a new Dick Blick Jullian French easel that is something DB had designed for them by Jullian. Don't know how it compares to the original, but it is a bit less expensive, and I'm betting if you ask DB, they will tell anyone exactly how they compare.

Peggy