PDA

View Full Version : A Few Florals in Gouache

JanB
08-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone, teriffic new forum here. These are done with Yarka gouache. I have some concerns about lightfastness, but I'm new to gouache so after I get going a bit I think I will up grade to another brand.

Strawflowers
6x8

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2006/48727-strawflowers.jpg

Geraniums done in a moleskine sketchbook, just practicing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2006/48727-geraniumsgouache.jpg

JamieWG
08-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Jan, these are charming floral sketches!

It seems that even the most "artist quality" gouache paints have issues with a couple of the colors. You just need to do your homework and research the pigments and lightfastness, no matter which brand you choose. I got the lightfastness charts for DaVinci and Winsor Newton, and then made my selections based on that information. I also think I finally figured out who made the old Dick Blick brand, so I should be able to find the info on that as well....and I've got lots of that. :D

Jamie

Richard Saylor
08-27-2006, 07:48 AM
As Jamie wrote, there seem to be fugitive colors in most (probably all) the gouache brands. When the medium is used for illustration it doesn't matter particularly, but as a fine art medium it matters a lot. You can get permanence data for most brands on the web.

Nice florals!

Richard

JanB
08-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Yes I guess it's time to do my "homework" :D

dbclemons
08-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Nicely done, Jan. Simple and precise.

IrishRose
08-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Jan, love those strawflowers! I never get tired of seeing bright oranges and greens! :) Remind me a lot of sunflowers, my favorites!!! You did a wonderful job on your paintings! What inspiration!

Dallen
08-27-2006, 11:55 AM
There is so much vitality in these flowers, it is incredible! They literally burst with life force, beautifully done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
08-27-2006, 11:56 AM
I enjoyed the freshness of both your paintings.

Ann

plec
08-27-2006, 12:04 PM
hi Jan two excellent pieces of work, congratulations.
Best wishes, Ken..

JanB
08-28-2006, 09:09 PM
db...thanks so much!

IrishRose....well I've been doing sunflowers in oils for a few days (check out my blog in my sig to see them) but now I'm thinking I should do somein gouache too!

Dallen...I did these from life I have a planter full of straw flowers and geraniums on my deck!

Ann...thanks very much glad you liked them.

Ken...very kind of you to say so!

IrishRose
08-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Jan, your paintings are gorgeous!!! Wow, I am just always blown away by the talent here... I can take one link and go to another and another... and before you know it, hours have gone by! What inspiration! Your sunflowers are awesome and I love Vincent Van Gogh too! I read what you wrote about him and his work is just so different from the way his biography reads! I say just look at the paintings. It is working for you! Love your work, you're amazing!

AriadneArts
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Lovely work, Jan. I especially like the sunflowers and their diagonal comp. Well done!