PDA

View Full Version : 2's company,5's a crowd

artseefartsee
08-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Approx. 24" x 19". gray suede matboard. Picture is from ref library. I've been looking for a photo of otters to paint for quite sometime and fell in love with this one. Hope you like, c & c welcome, however it's already been framed but still could use the critiques for my next one.
Sheila

ponting
08-26-2006, 02:41 PM
This is just wonderful!! Would it be possible for you to publish it a little lighter. I'm sure there is much here we are not seeing and appreciating.

Cheers, Dianna :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

artseefartsee
08-26-2006, 02:43 PM
I would love to Dianna, however I don't quite know how, It is a fairly dark piece. Thanks for the compliment, I really value your opinion.
Sheila

ponting
08-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Are either of these closer to the original? If so pick one and I will take off the other.

Di

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2006/34523-otters.jpg

Edit: Second image deleted.

artseefartsee
08-26-2006, 02:49 PM
The first one is great. How'd you do that so fast? You're a whiz!!
Sheila

ponting
08-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi Sheila

I was already working in photoshop when I read your post and popped it in there just for my own curiosity to see just what I might be missing ....hence it only took a minute to upload it.

Happy to be of help :)

A lot of work in this baby...how long did it take you to paint it?

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

artseefartsee
08-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Actually pastels go very fast for me, at least with animals. It took me about 15 hours. I think the suede matboard helps. The longest and most boring part for me is putting the pattern on the matboard. I am always anxious to get to the good stuff!

ponting
08-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Wow that is fast. How do you treat the board once you are done?

Cheers, Dianna

artseefartsee
08-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I treat the board veeerry carefully:D Actually I don't do anything to it. The pastel sticks to the suede like glue. I just mat and frame it. I've noticed that alot of well known pastel artists are framing their pieces right up against the glass, no mats, have you heard of this?
Sheila

kyliecarney
08-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow this looks fantastic - well done!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ponting
08-26-2006, 06:09 PM
I've had better success with oil pastel sticking to suede board than soft pastel. In an event there are artists framing as you say, right against the glass. My only concern is that if the least amount of moisture gets in there it's game over with light paper or La Carte. I don't think the matboard would be as devastated but it certainly wouldn't do it much good.

Cheers, Dianna

M Douglas
08-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Absolutely fantastic!!!

Melodie

chewie
08-26-2006, 10:16 PM
yup, this is good stuff here!! wonderful!!

Piper Ballou
08-27-2006, 12:12 AM
wonderful painting, love the light and shadows on the otters

is suede board like velour? or is it something different
piper

Bringer
08-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi,

If there's a word in the dictionary that means something right after totally perfection, then this is it.
According to conservators, it's advisable to put a mat. It will absorb humidity.
It seems that you don't have a website.
With the quality of your works, you should have one.
Mine was done using Sitekreator. I don't know anything about webdesign and did it with relative ease.

Kind regards,

Josť

artseefartsee
08-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Piper, thank you and suede mat board is a little like velour, except in my opinion it has a little more body to it and has a stiff backing so it isn't as flimsy as velour, it has a suede like texture.
Jose, you've made my day, several have told me that I need a website, I think it's just a little overwhelming for me. You can see some of my work at www.mid-delartguild.org, this is my latest however . I'm entering it in a competition next week. Hope the judges like it as well as you do.

Paula Ford
08-27-2006, 12:24 PM
What a terrific piece. I just LOVE otters! The light is perfect.

Paula

PeggyB
08-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Impressive work - especially considering your ground - suede matboard!

Peggy

Khadres
08-27-2006, 05:38 PM
I adore otters, too! This is gorgeous!

raye51
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
You have done a great job capturing these little guys! I started this in colored pencil, (must be sick! lol) May never finish now after seeing this! Beautiful work.
Raye

artseefartsee
08-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks Raye. What size are you doing in cp? I'm actually a cp artist and will probably do this in cp too. Have you tried cp on the suede matboard? I do most of my animals on it, even with the cp. Ive been doing pastel for about a year and a half now, but teach cp to adults.:wave:
Sheila

satheesh
08-28-2006, 06:51 AM
great composition! technically perfect too! I am sure the judges will love this. All the best :clap: :clap: