PDA

View Full Version : Casein from my window

JamieWG
08-26-2006, 12:23 PM
This is a casein miniature painting, just 2x3", shown about actual size. It is the view from my kitchen window, painted during the winter from life one very, very cold morning!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2006/13766-020605_casein_2x3_brook_290as.jpg

Jamie

Dallen
08-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Love the painting, but I find the frame distracting,, I'm a less is more person when it comes to frames I go for simple and inconspicous. I like the proportions of the frame, but not the ornamentaton.

The painting really captures the feel of winter's quiet.

JamieWG
08-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Love the painting, but I find the frame distracting,, I'm a less is more person when it comes to frames I go for simple and inconspicous. I like the proportions of the frame, but not the ornamentaton.

The painting really captures the feel of winter's quiet.

Thanks, Dallen. I'm inclined to agree about the frame. I was looking for some frames for around the holiday season. These seemed to fit the bill of "winter festive" and I got them at the dollar store. LOL.... I think maybe I'll upgrade. :D

Jamie

Richard Saylor
08-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Nice painting. It looks cold! A simple gray or black frame might work. BTW, casein is good paint for wood picture frames. I knew an oil painter who always finished his frames with casein.

Richard

IrishRose
08-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I love the feeling of this painting... reminds me of my NY winters growing up... now I don't see snow anymore living here in Fla. Just hurricanes (bleh!)

I agree about the frame... definitely need to go with something simple so the painting really stands out!

idcrisis55
08-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Jamie, nice work on your miniature winterscape. It won't be long before winter truly does set in.

Ann

plec
08-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Jamei a really nice piece of work, I agree about the frame.
Best wishes, Ken..

lonestar
08-29-2006, 06:35 PM
jamie - very cool...no pun intended :)
dawn

Starrpoint
08-29-2006, 10:03 PM
It is a lovely painting. Do you have trouble finding frames for small works? I have just begun, and I am running into trouble finding good small frames. Most are shiny metal.

AriadneArts
08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Lovely piece, Jamie. You really captured the cold quiet of winter, something which I get to enjoy, now I've moved Northeast from L.A. :)

Starrpoint, I have had great luck in finding nice frames for miniatures in places like Aaron Bros. in L.A. and Michael's both here in Michigan and in California. Don't know if you've a Michael's where you are, but look in places that mat and frame. The average gilded frame for a 2" x 3" is about $3.00! One of the joys of working in miniature!

Starrpoint
08-30-2006, 02:00 PM
We do have a michaels and a ac moore, but they do not have frames smaller than 5x7

I will look again.

I have found a few at of all places, big logs, rather nice ones too.

pinkrybns
09-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Jamie! 2"x3"!!!!
I love the painting, but I agree with Dallen about the frame.

But what do I know! 2"x3"... I'm amazed! :D

Robin Neudorfer
09-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Wow! To fit the feeling, the view, and atmosphere, all in that size. Quite impressive.

JamieWG
09-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Wow, I can't believe how many members we have sharing space here already! :D Thank you all so very much for your kind remarks.

This painting is kind of special to me, and considering what I could sell a 2x3" painting for, it is not for sale. Therefore, it went into one of the "cheap special" frames. LOL I do have a bunch of the nicer, wooden frames from Michael's and other sources that I use for minis that go to the galleries. I found some brass frames at Christmas Tree Shop that I actually like quite a bit too. I'll post some of those soon as well. I've done lots of minis in casein and gouache. They are really perfect mediums for small paintings.

Jamie

Starrpoint
09-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know if Micheal's has an on-line store? My Micheals does not carry any of the smaller frames.

JamieWG
09-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Hmmmm, how strange. I did google it and found the website for Michael's Arts and Crafts (http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home). It appears that you can purchase online, because I see a shopping cart icon there!

In the two Michaels stores I've visited, the very small frames are in their own section within the main frame section. They are in cardboard boxes that hang on hooks.

Jamie

Weezy
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Try Dick Blick and ASW for small , cheaper frames that won't overpower your work. Its a lovely piece.....and BTW, its nice to see some familiar faces here.

Louise