PDA

View Full Version : Purple Mountains (Gouache)

Richard Saylor
08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Da Vinci gouache: pthalo blue, red rose, yellow light, white.

Da Vinci is inexpensive but very good quality. It is surprising what can be done with only three primary colors and white.

Richard

artyme
08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Very nice, Richard! :thumbsup: And thanks for the tip on Da Vinci; I've been wanting to try gouache.
Sarah

Richard Saylor
08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Very nice, Richard! :thumbsup: And thanks for the tip on Da Vinci; I've been wanting to try gouache.
SarahThanks, and welcome to WC!

Richard

JamieWG
08-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Very lovely, Richard! I like your subtle variations in the background hills, and the fluffy texture of the foliage.

I agree with you completely about DaVinci gouache. I like it very much, and it doesn't break the bank. A well chosen limited palette goes a long way!

Jamie

enaid
08-26-2006, 02:30 PM
I just started a design class and the instructor sort of poo-pooed DaVinci saying it was "streaky". She was recommending Windsor Newton or Holbein. When I bought my gouache it was all Windsor Newton BUT they were out of white so I substituted DaVinci (and yes it was MUCH more economical) but after her comments I got a little concerned. Does anyone have experience with either of her two recommended brands AND DaVinci?

By the way I really like your piece. I haven't used gouache before and was wondering what else beyone "design" you could do with it...you just showed me--quite a lot!

Richard Saylor
08-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Does anyone have experience with either of her two recommended brands AND DaVinci?I've used W&N, Holbein, Maimeri, and Da Vinci. They all do the job. If money were no object, I would probably use Holbein. It has a high pigment concentration and seems a bit more consistent than W&N.

Richard

enaid
08-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll keep checking on this new forum to get more info on gouache.

IrishRose
08-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Da Vinci gouache: pthalo blue, red rose, yellow light, white.

Da Vinci is inexpensive but very good quality. It is surprising what can be done with only three primary colors and white.

Richard

Richard, wow! This is so soft and lovely and I have always been curious about gouache mostly for it's ability to not have to save the whites like in watercolor but having the same kinds of qualities and easy clean up. I took your choice of colors and will see if I can't get going on something soon. I love the price on the DaVinci's!!! Thanks for the advice and the wonderful painting! :)

idcrisis55
08-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I like the way the colors feel tied together as though meant to be that way. Nice landscape.

Ann

plec
08-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Excellent piece of work , nice to see this under used medium.
Best wishes, Ken..

AriadneArts
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Too lovely, David! (Idyllic sigh...)

aszurblue
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks allot Richard!!!... I have promised myself NOT to buy anymore artist paints till after Christmas... Now here you come along with these delightful, wonderful paintings... Now just gotta try them..... sigh.... Azure

Richard Saylor
09-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks allot Richard!!!... I have promised myself NOT to buy anymore artist paints till after Christmas... Now here you come along with these delightful, wonderful paintings... Now just gotta try them..... sigh.... AzureI feel your pain, Azure. :crying:

Richard

aszurblue
09-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Yep, sure you do :) What colors would make for a good all around start. All the on line stores are having sales right now, so can get up to 10 colors. Thanks, Azure

Richard Saylor
09-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Choice of colors is a personal thing. Here are some suggestions (color names vary according to manufacturer):

1. Warm red, such as naphthol or pyrrol red.
2. Cool red, such as quinacridone rose, magenta, or red.
3. Ultramarine blue.
4. Pthalo blue.
5. Hansa yellow or any other middle yellow.
6. Pthalo green.
7. Titanium white (the most used color).

You might also like black, brown (burnt sienna), and purple (such as dioxazine, if they make it yet).

Watercolors can also be used along with gouache. It's essentially the same stuff.

Richard