PDA

View Full Version : NYC Window

plnice
03-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi, everyone! This is my (GULP) first post.....and I could use honest criticism---what works, what doesn't. Taken from a photo of window near the Chelsea piers, this is my first attempt at stippling. I have to miss my drawing class tomorrow night, and don't think I can wait another week for comments. Hope the scan is OK. Looking forward to input from all you great folks! --Pam

sassybird
03-19-2002, 10:03 PM
You show good skill and talent, and I am very happy to welcome you to Wetcanvas and to the Pen and Ink forum. We have a good group of people in this forum and at WC in general. Even as a seasoned artist I continue to learn and grow through my contact with other artists here. I hope your experience will be as rewarding, and that you never hesitate to post your work. Now, on to my critique :evil: :angel:

You have done a good job on this piece. There are only a few places that I see could use some improvement. The shadow by the bucket I would make a bit stronger. Not as strong as the shading on the bucket near the wall, but stronger than the mid range value on the bucket. The stacked papers almost appear to be floating. If you add some shadow to ground them to the table I think that would work well. I am not quite sure what it is haning in the window, but the value is about the same across the board on it. If you vary the value a bit I think it will be more effective. Over all this is a very good composition and you have a good handle on the ink work. Pointilism takes so much patiences, I know I do a fair amount myself, and the time and attention to detail you show in this piece leads me to believe you have the tenacity for this technique.

Now, I have been out of classes for about 2 yrs now, but I remember how harsh some of the critiques can be. Remember to take in the good advice, and let the rest go in one ear and out the other.

dolors
03-20-2002, 01:12 AM
Hello Pam and welcome to Wet Canvas. I am also new, I registered some weeks ago but I have posted a lot and everybody has answered and commented my work. People are very nice here, I hope you enjoy a lot.
I like very much your drawing. Perhaps as Sassybird told, you could darken the shadow of the bucket, but it is great. Please send more.

artdude
03-20-2002, 08:57 AM
WELCOME TO WC!! Hey this is a great stippling piece!! Sass has pretty much touched on everything needed to be said about a critque for your ink drawing. Something else about the papers. There doesn't seem to be a top edge for them. Maybe some suggestion of a line along the top of the paper would also help. Thanks for posting :D Hope to see more of your work soon

:clap: :clap: :clap:

RuthT
03-20-2002, 12:08 PM
This is really nice work Pam.

I like the drawing of the marbling on the windowsill, and the wood below.

There does seem to be a lot of undefined white space in the centre of the piece, but that could be remedied.

Welcome to WC, and the P&I Forum. :) . I look forward to seeing more of your work.

plnice
03-20-2002, 04:53 PM
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to consider my work! It's been 15 years since I took any studio art class, and my current instructor, while a truly kind person, is very 'light' on constructive critiques. Your insights are exactly what I was looking for!

I mulled over the open areas (white space)--in the photo, there is little detail in that space, and my lack of experience/confidence in this medium made me err on the conservative side. I think I am ready to try adding some more definitive detail now.

I'm also a bit cautious in another area of the work---what's in the window. It's actually a very worn brick and plaster wall that's in VERY soft focus. Should I lighten my point? Consider another medium (e.g., a wash) or perhaps embellish detail? Your guidance is invaluable!:D

RuthT
03-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Hi again. :)

I am very much a beginner at p&i so cannot really advise you. But you could try photocopying it onto the same type of paper as the original and experiment on the copy.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
03-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Compositionally, I like the stark white space coming in from the window. But to make it work well, look at the shadows about the other objects, especially the sill and the bucket. Sassybird it that right on the head.

I envy your ability to do pointillism. I try to stipple, but as I get into the groove, my hand instinctively begins to hatch and crosshatch.

Andrew

aria
03-21-2002, 09:45 PM
This is very good, look forward to seeing more from you.
Welcome to wet canvas!!!!
aria

dnip24
03-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Looks beautiful that composition! Welcome to WC!
I would like to see more of your pictures!