PDA

View Full Version : Dark undercolors showing through egg tempera

deadsam
08-24-2006, 01:03 AM
I have a painting I did in egg tempera about 7 months ago that has been sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get more patience lol.
here is the issue, I painted burnt umber on a rock in the foreground, and the ship is red and when I applied white over top, well you can see what happened lol, the under paint comes through wayyyy to much, I talk to others about this and it does happen, the only method I was told to fix this so far was dry brush it all until it becomes white enough for my liking.
here's the problem part of the painting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2006/84197-ship.jpg

a little blurry I took a quick shot, but you can see by this what I mean.
it comes through just way to much.
I was wondering if anyone has a quicker fix this issue and if you ever encountered this yourself?

Sam

spellbreaker
08-24-2006, 11:05 AM
You have to work backwards with egg tempera. This is, first the lights, and the shadows at last. Egg tempera is very transparent, and some colors always appear on top of the painting in time. Like red. You can clear the dark color in your painting washin it with a sponge or a soft rag dampened and hands soap. Do it delicately. Then paint it backwards. First the lights, then the shadows.

deadsam
08-24-2006, 06:23 PM
thanks for the info on that, I was wondering that, because red is horrible , mind you it is fantastic and bright and everyhting but painting over it is a total nightmare. It always bleeds through on me. In paintings I did in egg tempera after this one I always saved it to the last.
I'll try what you said and I'm sure that will work :)

Thanks again