PDA

View Full Version : First Casein Painting...

Richard Saylor
08-23-2006, 01:48 AM
...after a long hiatus. The painting was just an excuse to play with the medium and familiarize myself with its properties, so I made the composition simple and easy: sky, grass, road, and a barn which I found in the RIL. The colors are Shiva Blue, Shiva Rose, Naples Yellow, and Titanium White. The support is hot pressed watercolor paper.

I did discover (or rediscover) a peculiarity of Shiva Blue (Pthalo). It seems to have an aversion to Shiva Titanium White. If I mix a batch of blue and white and let it sit for awhile, I begin to notice white and blue streaks and swirls in the mixture.

Richard

JamieWG
08-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Richard, this is a very well done painting. I like the soft edge at the horizon, the placement and color variation of the barn, and the path leading in is so nicely rendered! :clap:

Jamie

DominicM
08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
lovely composition and pallette

dbclemons
08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Your sky looks to have some texture to it. Is it applied thickly? That's an interesting observation about the paint. It's the one shade of their blue I don't have.

staggerlee
08-23-2006, 08:40 PM
That sky makes my eyes melt! The airy-ness and yet the textured feel.

Now that this forum is open, am gonna hav'ta break out my Shiva's and get a painting....

ooh the itch to start...can already smell the medium....

Richard Saylor
08-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Your sky looks to have some texture to it. Is it applied thickly? That's an interesting observation about the paint. It's the one shade of their blue I don't have.The sky was applied thinly. I think the textured appearance is partly due to the tendency for the blue pigment to separate from the white-blue mixture.

Richard

rabidfox
08-26-2006, 02:25 AM
Hmmmm. The sky is a result of an accidental separation of the blue and the white? Interesting! Serendipity Time. Do any other colors act that way?

Richard Saylor
08-26-2006, 02:29 AM
Hmmmm. The sky is a result of an accidental separation of the blue and the white? Interesting! Serendipity Time. Do any other colors act that way?Not that I know of.

prospector
08-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Richard, Yer fine painting looks like ya been painting with casein for ever. I love the matte finish for repo. Is that a photo, or scan?

Looking forward to more casein paintings from ya.

Richard Saylor
08-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Richard, Yer fine painting looks like ya been painting with casein for ever. I love the matte finish for repo. Is that a photo, or scan?

Looking forward to more casein paintings from ya.Thanks! It is a photo taken in open shade outdoors with an Olympus C-3000Z without flash, but I'm sure a scan would work as well.

Richard

richlll
08-30-2006, 12:00 AM
snip..
I did discover (or rediscover) a peculiarity of Shiva Blue (Pthalo). It seems to have an aversion to Shiva Titanium White. If I mix a batch of blue and white and let it sit for awhile, I begin to notice white and blue streaks and swirls in the mixture.

Richard

I noticed the same thing with Shiva Pthalo Blue, it is not dispersed well, shortly after coming out of the tube it starts to separate into particles that won't mix well with anything, I think it's best not to use it and make your own PB.

Richard Saylor
08-30-2006, 01:21 AM
I noticed the same thing with Shiva Pthalo Blue, it is not dispersed well, shortly after coming out of the tube it starts to separate into particles that won't mix well with anything, I think it's best not to use it and make your own PB.That's the next project. Meanwhile I got some Shiva Cerulean Blue and Ultramarine Blue today, which don't have the problem. When I get some pthalo pigment, I'm going to try to mix it with Shiva casein medium and see what happens. I suspect it will also separate; so I may have to bypass the ready-made medium and make pthalo blue casein paint from scratch.

Richard

richlll
08-30-2006, 02:56 AM
When I get some pthalo pigment,

Richard

I purchased the XSL or XLS PB from Kremer, this pigment is a special formulation to mix better with water, so far I like it very much, you may give it a try. Rich

AriadneArts
08-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Richard, a lovely piece. Especially love the color treatment of the barn, as well as the sky, serendipitous or not. :thumbsup:

Stanley Arts
09-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Congrats on a beautiful job! Interesting observation on the paint. Try the Shiva Permasol blue sometime - absolutely incredible color except beware...it is one of those staining colors (similar to Phthalo) that seems to get everywhere! I have a Permasol Blue brush and use a dixie cup for painting water when using this color.

idcrisis55
09-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Richard, I have come back to your painting a couple of times now. The colors in your barn are beautiful and the grass and roadway are especially well done.

Ann