PDA

View Full Version : Best Print Company for digital images???

lisilk
08-23-2006, 12:17 AM
This may have been discussed before but I would like to have some larger format professional looking prints done from some of my digital photography. Any suggestions on the best place to have this done? I've used some companies for small books and cards but I wouldn't say I liked the quality enough to invest in larger pieces. ( I'm not talking gigantic. Just some 20" X 30"-ish prints.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Li

Oldthumbs
08-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow, what a resounding number of replies!! I'll have to admit that I don't have an answer for you as I have never had prints done before. I would have thought that SOMEONE in these forums has, though. Maybe bumping this up will get some answers.

Ray

DesertDarlene
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
I've tried Mpix for 8 x 10s, but not as large as what you are asking. I would say to check them out. I was very pleased as to the professionality of the work. None of the other places I have ordered prints through have done a good enough job that I would consider using them for professional work.

Damar suggested it to me, too, so that's even more reason to check it out. ;)

Good luck!

Windy
08-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Hmm I would have thought that MissMouse and KaleidoscopeEyes could have shed light here as I know they both get big prints done.
I am sure we have discussed big prints before in the forum. Have you tried doing a forum search?

meriadoc
08-27-2006, 09:57 AM
mpix.com
whcc.com
bwc.net

they are the three that i've used and never had a problem. But now we have an instore large format printer, I print all mine at work :)

Te_Wheke
08-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Lisilk

I’m in New Zealand, I'm sure that you can have a look online to find someone who does it in your town. I would try to find someone who has at least an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 or 7800 7 to 8 colour system.

I have had to go out and buy my own Epson wide format printer to get what I wanted, because paying someone else thousands to print for me became insane. They were doing allot of re-prints because they didn't know how to work their printer and software, and started to charge me for their errors. So I print all my own stuff now, after realizing that I could buy my own printer for what they were charging me for 30 large prints over $300 ea. for giclee quality prints.

Epson's use good quality pigmented uv inks that last for years under the right conditions, like over 100 years for colour, and 200 for B&W. I researched printers for ages before buying, and the Epson’s always came out on top, though I hear the new canons are good. You could try getting them done at a photo lab too, if they can print from digital? Try to go somewhere and see examples of what they can produce before you buy.

You will need to give them HIGH quality originals to get high quality prints. I do up to 24x36 or stitch 2 or three images together to get longer prints, from 10 mega pixel original digital photo's and they are just on the verge of pixilating on the prints.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
TW

lisilk
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow, what a resounding number of replies!! I'll have to admit that I don't have an answer for you as I have never had prints done before. I would have thought that SOMEONE in these forums has, though. Maybe bumping this up will get some answers.

Ray

LOL. Yes Ray, I was beginning to wonder but we shut the 'puter down for a while because of storms so I am pleased to see a few more replies. Thank you and Meriadoc, Wendy, Desert, Ray and TW for your help and the websites.

TW~ we are moving back to the states this week so ideally I would like to just do the prints myself if I can afford it. Really appreciate the info.

I'll hopefully be back online in a few months so I'll let you know what I find. Thanks so much!

Li

meriadoc
08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
You will need to give them HIGH quality originals to get high quality prints. I do up to 24x36 or stitch 2 or three images together to get longer prints, from 10 mega pixel original digital photo's and they are just on the verge of pixilating on the prints.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
TW

I'm going to dispute that comment. I use an epson 7800 and have routinely printed 4,5,6 and 8 megapixel images up to 24x36 inch prints with no pixellation. You do not need to print at the highest setting on your printer. Not only do you waste ALOT of ink, but you also don't view 24x36 inch prints from 6 inches away.

I also work in a photo lab, and 75% of my work on a day to day basis with digital. In fact, my printer that we print negatives from is actually a digital printer. So most, if not all modern day photo labs will be able to print from digital files.

lisilk
08-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Good to know! Thanks again Meriadoc.:thumbsup:

Te_Wheke
08-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Hi lisilk, hopefully you can sort a printer out when you get Stateside, if you can swing it, that would be awesome.
Cheers

Thanks for the input meriadoc.

I am curious, what resolution setting do you use to print on the 7800 so a 4 mp image goes up to 24x36 with no pixilation? Which Rip are you using? I must be going about this all wrong. I am doing photo and digital as artworks, so they are getting up to 6 inches to look at them, even saw a guy at the gallery with a loop checking one out the other day.

I printed a 4 mp file just this afternoon for a test to 24x36, was using 720 dpi, and it looked okay from a distance but pixilation in the skies especially you can see the little squares where the colours blend. I am quite critical of my own work, maybe it’s just me?

Also, are you using Epson UltraChrome K3 inks? Have you tried any of the continuous flow type generic inks? I am considering trying them as the 220 ml Epson carts are around $230.00 nzd each, and better part of 2k for all.

Sorry for all the questions, and don't mean to highjack the thread, just exciting to find someone else with a large format Epson.

I used to work in a professional lab in the early ninties, and we couldn't print from digital files at that time, only film negatives. Things have come along way since then!

Cheers
TW

lisilk
08-30-2006, 02:13 AM
No problem TW, I need as much info as I can get so I am interested as well.