PDA

View Full Version : Help..Has anyones dog ever eaten a chicken carcass?

Pyrolady06
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
My dogs just ate a chicken carcass. I sealed it up in the trash and they still somehow got to it. They seem fine right now, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what were the end results. I really cant afford a huge vet bill.

flameonglass
08-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, I am old enough that I had lots of dogs before anyone knew bones were bad & my dogs ate a fair amount of bones without any dire results.

(Not that I recommend feeding your dogs chicken bones, now that we know it is bad I am sure they would require extremely expensive treatment if they ate the tinest slivers at all!)

Having said that, I live on a farm & my dogs still manage to get ahold of the odd dead bird without suffering any visible results.

Ginny-Wren
08-22-2006, 09:13 PM
If the bird was not cooked, don't worry about it one bit. If it was cooked, then the bones are brittle. Like flameonglass said, many dogs eat bones with no problems, but sometimes there is a problem and it can be big. If this just happened, then feed your dogs as much white bread as they will eat. It will coat around the bones and maybe prevent the sharp pieces poking things they shoudn't. Then, watch your dogs carefully. How are they acting, are they listless, are they vomiting, is there blood in their stool... If none of those things, then you should be fine.

Ginny

glass_beads
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I second Ginny's advice. I've had a dog eat chicken bones and fortunately she was just fine!

Nalynn
08-22-2006, 09:48 PM
I hope the dogs are ok. I have cats, and they go positively ape at the smell of poultry. So, all chicken bones go in a plastic trash bag and into the freezer until trash day. That pretty much solves the problem.

rosebead
08-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Yep Buster ate half a chicken carcass once.
I was so impressed when i thought my husband had cleared the table- then I was suspicious when there were no bones in the garbage.
It wasn't hard to figure out what happened.
Buster was fine- but i worrried for 2 days.

glass_beads
08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
I hope the dogs are ok. I have cats, and they go positively ape at the smell of poultry. So, all chicken bones go in a plastic trash bag and into the freezer until trash day. That pretty much solves the problem.

that's a good idea! Right now I have chicken bones bagged and hanging on an upper cabinet out of reach but it's not a great look in the kitchen...lol. I'd never thought of the freezer till trash day! It was our other dog who liked to peek in the trash -- this one doesn't at all but I don't take any chances!

MaryBethC
08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Our black lab stole a leftover chicken carcass from the kitchen table and consumed the entire thing! He didn't seem to suffer any ill effects and it was a cooked chicken. We never feed him chicken bones on purpose, however:)

bolimasa
08-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Our black lab stole a leftover chicken carcass from the kitchen table and consumed the entire thing! He didn't seem to suffer any ill effects and it was a cooked chicken. We never feed him chicken bones on purpose, however:)

My dog, a black lab mutt, has done this a couple of times, with no ill effect.
Fortunately for her, since she ate ever single bone and didn't even mange to leave a grease mark on the floor.

She is the kitchen cleaning police. If you leave dinner on the stove she lays in the kitchen, patiently waiting for the leftovers, or for them to be put away. She prefers the former. Apparently a half eaten rotisserie chicken left out on the counter for a late diner is just way too much temptation. She really enjoys a good counter surf once in a while even if she knows she'll be in big trouble when she's caught.

whatwhat
08-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Yep Buster ate half a chicken carcass once.
I was so impressed when i thought my husband had cleared the table- then I was suspicious when there were no bones in the garbage.

:lol:
that was cute!

but as others said, my dogs have gotten to chicken bones and were fine after all the worry.

one hot beader
08-23-2006, 03:59 AM
As my mother-in-law says 'I've been trying to choke dogs on chicken bones for 40 years and haven't managed it yet!"

She is not a dog person...

Dragonfly6381
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Chicken bones are actually "Great" for dogs, if you pressure cook them.

jms
08-23-2006, 10:13 AM
When I first read the title of this thread, I swear I thought it was, "Has anyone ever eaten a chicken carcass?" I think I need glasses.....

janie

skookum
08-23-2006, 12:22 PM
My dog ate a porcupine quills and all, bones on a regular basis. She's farm dog (German Shepherd) and she's 12 years old (135 of our years).

If your dog is a smaller version such as a shi-zhu, poodle, etc that could cause problems, but if the dog is larger (border collie and larger) I wouldn't worry.

Sherri

2 Toucans
08-23-2006, 02:21 PM
My mother had a beautiful dalmation, she got into the trash and ate chicken bones. :crying: She was acting very sick so mom took her to the vet. The vet was walking her down a hall to a cubicle and she dropped dead right there in the middle of the hall. It was internal bleeding. Very painful. Very sad. Even the vet was shook up. You can imagine my mom when he had to come out 2 mins later and tell her the sad news. NO CHICKEN BONES!! EVER. :mad:

PAck that stuff up and get it into a dog proof area/container till it heads out for the dump.
Lorraine

PatNewMex
08-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Don't worry. The only thing that would happen is while he is eating it. Since he didn't choke on bones, he'll be just fine. My dog eats chicken bones all the time, just not the leg & thigh-bones that can crack the long way. :)

BettyfromRI
08-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Yup, what they said, chances are your pup will be fine. Of course that won't stop you from worrying.

Good luck,
Betty

tagintn
08-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi all,
I have been a veterinary technician for the last thirty years (gosh i'm old) and I can't recall seeing a death in our practice from ingesting chicken bones. The reason you don't want to feed them is that when broken they break into splinters. The white bread to help coat the gastrointestinal tract is a good idea. If it has been since yesterday then everything has probably already passed. As long as she is still eating and active I wouldn't worry. She may have gulped them down whole! Hope she continues to stay well.
Grady

collectiblesbyrose
08-24-2006, 08:45 PM
The 15 pound dog next door ate a whole chicken (killed it) the owners were at work so I called my vet. My vet said if the dog wasn't choking on the feathers not to worry. I forgot to tell the owners and the dog died of old age years later.

xiola blue
08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
My dog must be very unlucky! The first time he got half a chicken carcass and he survived it with no problems, but the second time he got a whole one off the countertop before dinner was even finished (my cat steals steak off the stove but that is another story). He was alright for a few days, then started getting diarrhea and vomiting...several times that day. I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. He was put on a drip IV for fluids and had no food for three days. He finally was able to process regular but expensive dog food. If there is more fat in a diet than a dog should be able to handle he can develop pancreatitis, and I suppose it could be fatal. It took a couple of weeks for him to really be back in shape again, eating normal dog chow.

My cat, on the other hand, suffered no ill effects from the piece of tenderloin tip she took out of the pan! xiola

jms
08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
So....has anyone heard how the chicken-carcass-stealing dog is today????

janie

bclogan
08-25-2006, 01:32 PM
So, all chicken bones go in a plastic trash bag and into the freezer until trash day.

Well, all my chicken bones go into the freezer as well, but they don't come out until I'm ready to make CHICKEN SOUP!

Nancy Peterson
08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow - scary stuff but sometimes our dogs are very good at getting bones that they shouldn't have. My dog is always picking up deer carcass bones here on Beaver Island on the beach. I try to get them away from her but she will manage to eat some. She also eats wood - wood chips, sticks, logs, whatever she can get her mouth on! Not good for the digestion.

Hopefully all will come out well in the end...... :rolleyes:

Nancy
Beaver Island Jewelry (http://www.beaverislandjewelry.com)

Nalynn
08-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I've been known to do the chicken soup thing with my frozen bones, too.

I had a friend in college who was in nursing school. She had a cocker spaniel that used to eat her most expensive nursing books and also liked to eat the plastic tops off medicine tubes. That danged dog could even chow down on a box of Kleenex with no noticeable side effects. He also liked a dish of beer every now and then. He lived to a ripe old age, that crazy dog!

pierces*designs
08-27-2006, 01:47 PM
My dogs just ate a chicken carcass. I sealed it up in the trash and they still somehow got to it. They seem fine right now, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what were the end results. I really cant afford a huge vet bill.

How is your dog?

The biggest issue with a dog eating a carcass that is sealed up as you say is where it was cooked and all the grease is in there. I had a dog do that and it ended up almost dying from pancreatitis.

VanBeads
08-27-2006, 03:50 PM
I hope the chicken-eating dog is okay!

I have a ninety pound mutt who eats EVERYTHING. I'm not kidding - the dog has eaten sheet rock on us while we were re-doing our dining room and our backs were turned! He's also eaten bullhead (catfish) carcasses (bones and all!) from nine months earlier that my husband dumped in the compost pile at the back of the property and that the dog decided were yummy play toys! The worst he's ever had happen to him is a little diarrhea which we cleared up with some plain white rice for a few days...

The white bread idea is the best thing you can do, and just watch 'em. At the first sign of vomiting, diarrhea, or other odd behavior, get 'em to the vet! I was a vet tech myself for about twelve years, and I never saw a pooch die of eating chicken bones, although I did see plenty come in with pancreatitis and vomitting/diarrhea.

LeslieS
08-27-2006, 11:53 PM
:( Oh Yes! Been there, done that. My Dalmatian Abbey ate chicken bones and the paper towel that they were wrapped in. This caused a major blockage in her stomach, then the chicken bones that were sharp cut her intestines on the way out. She required major pain meds, IV fluids, medication to speed up the GI tract, and major walking to get her intestines moving. She was sick for 5 days, and almost had to put her down.

Rose Leslie
08-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Just one of those things that happen at times to our critters. I would just watch. If you fur kid has problems with bloody stools or has no appetite then I would take them in. Yes the bread would be a good one to do. Good luck with this.

gouligann
12-27-2006, 10:38 PM
My old dog had eating chicken bones beat all to hell. She ate a whole turkey, meat and all. Only one small meal was eaten off it. My father in law left it out on his balcony (to keep it cool? dah!! isn't that was fridges are for?) with a rock on top of the roasting pan. Do you think a rock was going to stop a black lab? ya right.. I called the vet, and they said to give her 3 tbsp vaseline. She had extreeeeemy loose stools for a few days LOL but she was fine. Lived to be almost 15.

bousky
12-27-2006, 11:27 PM
I have two trash digging Bichon Frieses who were quite depressed when we finally bought a metal trash can with a flip top lid, for the kitchen. It worked so well I got small ones for the bathrooms. They are ugly, but I don't come home to trash spread all over.

Now if my neighbor would just get it through his head that he can't feed my old dog people food, we'd be in great shape. It seems the older my dog gets the longer a treat from the neighbor will make my dog lay motionless on my bed. I am starting to feel like a broken record asking the guy to stop!

mixednut
12-28-2006, 05:33 PM
My dog ate a porcupine quills and all, bones on a regular basis. She's farm dog (German Shepherd) and she's 12 years old (135 of our years).

If your dog is a smaller version such as a shi-zhu, poodle, etc that could cause problems, but if the dog is larger (border collie and larger) I wouldn't worry.

Sherri
I second that if you have a small dog yes I would make sure he/she is ok their small throats can get the bones stuck if it is a big dog, no worries I am not even sure my hound chews!
That is him BTW in the avatar.