PDA

View Full Version : Lightfastness question

lily1982
08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi All,
I haven't posted in pastels yet, so hello to everyone! I've been lurking for a while...I've worked in Yarkas and Conte crayons in the past and to my dismay, I've read that Yarkas are not very lightfast. I actually don't mind the way they feel and handle, but I do mind that! So I'm looking to a buy a new, nice set of pastels and I want a full set of colors (Yarka's pallette also leaves something to be desired)...I got some sampler packs from Dakota to try the different textures and I really like the Mount Visions and the Unisons...The unisons are a little out of my range at the moment, so I thought I'd buy the full set of MV's and then replace gradually with Unisons as I use them up. Anyway, my question is are Mount Visions lightfast? I assume they are cheaper than a lot of the other brands for a reason because they feel similar in quality to the unisons (to me)...I don't want another set that won't last as I'm hoping to start selling some things and I couldn't in good conscience sell something I thought would fade.
I was also wondering if the color intensity is fairly similar in unisons and mount visions--pictures I've looked at sometimes look as though they are, and others aren't and I know there are at least a few of you here who use them both :D .
Dakota is having a big sale, so I'm trying to decide/buy before 9/30.
Any advice is very welcome!
Thanks,
Lily

lily1982
08-21-2006, 06:03 PM
My computer was being weird and this got posted twice!! Can a moderator erase one for me please!
Thanks!
Lily

chewie
08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
karl kelly is the brains of mt. vision, and is on this website. if you call, or email him, he'll send you some info., a color chart, and right now there's a dandy sale going on!

i use them, and know many others that do, too. i believe they are as lightfast as any other 'higher' brand, just a good deal. i've heard plenty of others not happy with yarka's, and many instructors list them as ones NOT to bring to workshops. good luck, and you are a lucky one to be able to get a full set of visions!

lily1982
08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for answering so soon, Chewie! I see you're close to my homeland (MT) and I'm jealous:D I bet the badlands look lovely in pastels.
I think I will email Karl...I'm splurging on a set of pastels as an investment into my career as an artist. I hope it will pay off!
Lily

Khadres
08-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Here ya go Sooz - I just copied it over here for you:

The new Mt. Vision color chart (you can request one on their website, I think) lists all the pigments used and the consensus is that they're all stable, lightfast and of above standards quality. Not sure if Unisons list their pigments, but they're well known for quality, as well. I believe Mt. Visions are somewhat cheaper simply because they are made in this country by a smaller company and that the maker is still winning his share of the market offering great prices and superb quality for the money. You can't go wrong with either brand, so rest assured that you will not be wasting your money.

I have most of the Uni's and all the MVs and I would say that, if anything, the MV's may actually have a few clearer, brighter colors in their line, altho I love the rich colors of the Uni's too. You will find that you NEVER have enough different hues, so might as well give up on that idea now and accept reality. I hope you enjoy your pastelling experience as much as most of us do!

KJSCL
08-22-2006, 12:41 AM
The unisons are a little out of my range at the moment, so I thought I'd buy the full set of MV's and then replace gradually with Unisons as I use them up.

This is definitely a situation where more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. :D I think once you've used the MV's you'll be more inclined to replace them with more MV's. Don't get me wrong, I like Unisons too. There are some colors in that line that are absolutely gorgeous. However, they are incredibly expensive. As Sooz already said, you can't go wrong with either one, but you'll definitely get more bang for your buck with the MV's.

lily1982
08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll order my MV's today! All the better if I love the cheaper ones since judging from this forum I'll soon be completely addicted :D
Lily

chewie
08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
oh yeah, and sooner you are able to admit this addiction, the easy it will be for....your hubby! :) i dont' see how you'd be dissapointed in your MV purchase, but hey, if you wind up needing a new home for them, i guess i could make the room *wink wink*! lol!