PDA

View Full Version : Technical illustrations

J.Dillon
03-19-2002, 02:14 PM
Hi All,

Had this post in "Pen & ink" Forum. It was suggested to pop it over here.

I do art for fun. I also write technical articles for profit and illustrate my writing with line drawings as well as photos.

In a recent published article my well rendered drawings were re done using wash. This has happened before. No gripe on my part as the magazine can present an article the best way it thinks.

But, I was thinking, " Heck I can do that ! "

My questions are :

Do wash drawings have to rendered any differently to produce well in a glossy publication ?

Is there any technique I should be aware of when doing wash for publication ?

Should the above questions be addressed elsewhere and if so where ?

Thanks

bruin70
03-20-2002, 09:01 AM
what is it a technical illustration of?

J.Dillon
03-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Milt,

The articles I write are of various devices I "invent" or improve on. The text is supported by photos where appropriate and drawings which sometimes provide better clarification .

My pen and ink drawings are of various componemets before assembly and a 'exploded ' view showing the various parts ready to assemble in relationship with each other.

I physically paste on text labels 0f the parts in appropiatae places. In the next submission for publication , I woud like to render the drawings in " wash" as was done to my pen & ink renderings.

This I think would make my articles more sellable to editors, as that is what they present to the reader in the publication any way.

Most other submissions by others do ony rough sketches . The editor has to go to the art dept , or retain an artist who has little to go on. In my submissions my pen & ink drawings are " camera ready" I do most of the work but am elimated from recompense for my drawings. Something I wish to correct.

Thanks