PDA

View Full Version : Update and Thanks

ArtMom42
08-21-2006, 12:57 AM
I was offline with major surgery and I never got a chance to thank everyone who gave me such great advice on helping my daughter prepare her portfolio for applying to a super art program for high school.

Leona made it! :clap: She will enroll at the Carver Center for Arts and Technology! There were approx. 240 applicants for 60 seats! Carver admist solely on the portfolio, with big emphasis on a 16 x 20 self portrait, and what the student does during a 2 1/2 hour drawing session working on a still life. No past grades, no recommendations. Kids come to Carver in art, dance, writing, carpentry, culinary arts, cosmetology, etc. because that is what they want to do.

She will draw first thing in the morning, every morning, for 2 hours. Other classes are sorted into A and B days, but her Prime - Visual Arts is everyday. She (and I) are ecstatic.

Now if she gets the 15 assigned sketches and two major works she has due on the first day of school completed, we will be off to a great start!

The head of the program says, "An artist is a sketchbook with a person attached." The whole program is built on drawing from observation (not my daughter's beloved manga), but she'll cope and her manga will be better for it. Every quarter she is required to do at least 10 detailed sketches that are at least 11 x 14.

I'm sure I'll be back here for more advice

Regards,

Maria

Axl
08-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey that is so wonderful!! Congratulations to your daughter!! She'll have a lot of fun in school, and you're right, it will really improve her manga in the end!