View Full Version : Ornamental Crabapples

ponting
08-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Title: Ornamental Crabapples
Size: 14 x 18"
Medium: Soft pastel, various brands but darks are mostly, Terry Ludwigs
Ground: La Carte Pastel Card
C & C always welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2006/34523-Ornamental-Crabapples-med.jpg

Finally back to work!! After so much travelling and teaching this year, this is my first major piece since December of 2005!! It seems a little late in the season to be getting to work but I have a solo show coming up in November and need those 30 plus paintings on my wall.

Though this IS dark it may not be as dark as you see it here....but then, I've never been afraid of the dark :lol: !!

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

*Marina*
08-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Love it Dianna, very atmospheric. Pleased to see you painting again.

paul444
08-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Dianna.
A stunning piece of work.

Merethe T
08-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh, wow wow!!! Amazing work!! As always....love the contrasts in your work, and the detail...and the bright colours...so glad to see you painting again! :)

ponting
08-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks so much Marina.....it seems to have taken a long time to get back here since I say you in person....3 months!! :D

Paul and Merethe...than you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It feels good to be back in the saddle so to speak.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

KJSCL
08-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Another stunning work of art Dianna! It's a beautiful composition and the darks are wonderful. It's always a treat to see your work.

*Marina*
08-20-2006, 05:56 PM
We have missed you on the forum, Dianna :wink2:

Bhavana Vijay
08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Wow!Its fabulous Dianna!!:clap: Love the lighting, the compostion and that leaf!

johndill01
08-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Glad to see you back to work Dianna. Don't you love those Ludwig darks? Great painting.

John

ponting
08-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi there Kathy....and we chat again so soon :lol:
Thanks Marina, Bhavij and John. Your comments are so nice to hear.

Cheers, Dianna

bacchusny
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Outstanding work! As always.

M Douglas
08-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Beautiful as always Dianna, those apples look so real. Can't wait to see it in person.

Melodie

designjunky
08-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Wow!! The color contrasts are almost as striking as the value contrasts. LOVE the light pattern, and how waxy the apples look!

satheesh
08-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Wow! lovely composition. :clap: :clap: :clap:

What colour paper did you use? Any tips on choosing paper colour or do you not mind any colour?

Karen Margulis
08-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Absolutely beautiful as always! It's great to see you here again!

Karen

*Deirdre*
08-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Fabulous Dianna! :wave: Time out tutoring has certainly not hampered your ability to compose and execute a brilliant painting! Bravo!:clap: :clap: :clap:

granddad
08-21-2006, 09:15 AM
welcome back and it looks Great! Another wonderful piece. james

CindyW
08-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Dianna, beautiful!
I like that design on the pot elementally reflected throughout the painting and it wouldn't be the same if it was a plain pot.
30 by November?? GO GO GO!! I am excited when I hear of the gas pedal floored for art...it's always so inspiring knowing it can be done within time constraints.
Gorgeous work. :)
Cindy

ponting
08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Thank you to old friends and new for not only stopping by but for your gracious comments. Satheesh, this is done on sienna but you're right, colour isn't that important to me, only that it's easily covered. I seem to stick to sienna and light grey varying only if my choices are limited at my suppliers.

Cindy, pressure has always been a motivator for me but I seem to have lost the overdrive that would kick in at the last moment so I have to learn to pace myself a little better these days. Something like procrastination has crept into my life lately and I'm beginning to wonder if art is meant to be my vocation after all. :confused: Perhaps after this past year of seemingly continuous prep and travel, I simply require some space or at least weekends off to regain the sense of a real life.

Cheers, Dianna

Bill Foehringer
08-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Stunning! I'm always amazed at the crispness of your softies. BillF

CindyW
08-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Cindy, pressure has always been a motivator for me but I seem to have lost the overdrive that would kick in at the last moment so I have to learn to pace myself a little better these days. Something like procrastination has crept into my life lately and I'm beginning to wonder if art is meant to be my vocation after all. :confused: Perhaps after this past year of seemingly continuous prep and travel, I simply require some space or at least weekends off to regain the sense of a real life.

Cheers, Dianna
Dianna,
Just a comment on your thoughts...
I sure understand the need for rest and space for such a hectic pace of life. Many conversations of "Life Balance" have crept into my life recently with friends confronted with a similar kind of overwhelmingness to the speed of 24 hour days, 7 days a week lifestyles, whether an artist lifestyle or a working mom lifestyle and whether we are on the right path and really "living" our lives to the fullest and most balanced for both contentedness and satisfaction. To just "be" is rare and fleeting if your lifestyle doesn't promote that, but it is a requirement for peace and sanity every so often and I treasure the times I can get them as I know we all do...(this place is one of those places where I can escape for a few minutes here and there as well as my flower gardens!)

Hats off to you and much applause for your 30+ paintings goal for November as I would be in frantic mode at this date for such a number! I hope you'll share some beauties with us along the way if you can.

And you are in the right vocation...you're right, you just need some breathing space to avoid burnout. I would miss your generous sharing of your visions.
:wave: Cindy

Kathryn Day
08-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Beautiful work, as always, Dianna. Give yourself some "me" time, and make it a priority for a while. Bet, you will soon feel better.

ponting
08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks very much Bill :)

Cindy and Kat.....what great advice...."me time" Don't we all need more of that!! Thanks ladies. :heart:

Cheers, Dianna

Mikki Petersen
08-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Ahhh Diana, so nice to see your lovely work again. I like the darks and the striped lighting through the blinds, it all accents your subject so well. You create the most imaginative and graceful setups. Exquisite!

Mikki

formerlyunknownart
08-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Nice to see you back and posting Dianna. I love this piece. Please let us know when your opening is, I'd love to come out !

Looking forward to seeing you in January.
:thumbsup:

ponting
08-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Exquisite!....what a wonderful description....Thanks so much Mikki :)

And thank you Melanie...how good to see you also. Now let me see....there won't be an opening evening as this gallery instead has the artist in residence for the entire first weekend and that would be November November 4th and 5th at the Birthplace of BC Gallery in Fort Langley. So if you do come, I'll see you before January. Thanks Sunshine

Cheers, Dianna
:smug:

Merriel
08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Beautiful work. thanks for sharing this and I know you will get your 30 done
with ease. You have such wonderful emotion in all your work.

thank you for taking the time away from what you do I know the computer
takes lots of time, but your sharing is such a wonderful gift to all of us.

leirrem

ponting
08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Leirrem...nice to meet you. I belive it was your painting of bamboo that I ran into some time ago and didn't have time to comment on. I loved it so will add that here. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Dianna

Meisie
08-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Beautiful Dianna!!!

I'm so glad you have a show coming up....and hope we'll see lots of the pieces heading for it :D

Meisie

ponting
08-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Hello and thanks Meisie....it's so great to (see) some familiar faces here. :clap:

Cheers, Dianna:wave:

Kathryn Wilson
08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Ahhh, the word "exquisite" describes this painting so well.

Dianna, the past year seems to have "stretched" you a bit and it sounds like you need some "me" time to refresh and get acquainted with yourself again.

Meisie
08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Hello and thanks Meisie....it's so great to (see) some familiar faces here. :clap:

Cheers, Dianna:wave:

:) I'm looking forward to seeing you in January at the Nanaimo FCA Chapter meeting ;)

Meisie

diash
08-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Another fine piece from the house of Ponting .....yes ....exquisite!! You owe it to yourself and to your public to take time out for the "me" factor. We who love your style, your tutoring and your friendship ... need to know that you are looking after yourself. Be kind to yourself ........ you deserve it!!!!!

beebluefern
08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
I've come to anticipate your posts with work you've done...this is just beautiful...I'm sure your show is going to be a great success!!!

ponting
08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Dianna, the past year seems to have "stretched" you a bit.

:lol: :p "Stretched" would be nice if it made me tall and thin but unfortunately my 'stretching' has gone the other way. :wink2: Thanks Kat for your good advice and yours also Diana....you were a pleasure to teach.

Did you folks know that Diana is the one who should need a rest. She came over from France to take my workshop in Wales and then grabbed her sister from my workshop in south England to drag her up to a second one in north England. I'm surprised she didn't follow me up to Scotland for that one :lol: and between her and Deirdre, you couldn't ask for better students or nicer people. To be considered a friend is indeed an honor. I was even invited to Deirdre's home with her sunshiny kitchen!! Are you back in France now Diana?

Pam....such faith you and everyone has in me to both put out these 30 pieces and pull of a good show. :lol: I guess I had better get busy living up to everyone's expectations. :wink2:

Speaking of expectations....I just won and award. I shall post the painting to a new thread if your interested in seeing it.

Cheers, Dianna

Piper Ballou
08-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Dianna...very stunning....I love how you handle the darks. And just think we will get to see 29 more.....smile
Piper

Tich
08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Dianna if I hadn't seen you do this kind of work with my own eyes I wouldn't belive it possible with pastels. Wonderful as usual :thumbsup:

NOW tell me about this new award!!!

Tich :wave:

M Douglas
08-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Way to go Dianna, please do show and tell us all about it!!!

Melodie

ponting
08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi Piper...I've been seeing some of the great things you've been doing and teaching!! Awesome work...thanks for stopping by. :)

Haven't heard from you in ages... hope your working hard with what you learned Tich and thank you an Mel :wave: for asking. It's nothing new and you've probably seen it before but it's new to me as far as showing it goes.

I'll post a thread and come back with a link.

ponting
08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367052

I hope this link works

Cheers and thanks for your interest, Dianna :p

prettytulips
08-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Diana,

That is really beautiful. I'm trying to figure out the background. Did you have cranberry branches in the background or cranberry patterned cloth?

I can't wait to get some of Terry's darks. I emailed him for individual sticks, but no word back :(

Really lovely!
Kelly

binkie
08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Absolutely stunning as always.

binkie

ponting
08-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Hello Binkie and Kelly for stopping by. The background is an oriental fabic that does really wild things depending on how the light is hitting it. I had to laugh at your question Kelly as I painted this while at the cabin with my three sister-in-laws and we discussed the weird variances and I wondered if I should just make like twigs and branches instead. :lol: We're spot on with our thinking. I chose to just leave it up to the imagination but have looked at it a couple of times and think that if I just added one or two dashes in Terry's darkest burgundy, one would really have to wonder what it was they were seeing. I't definitely food for thought as it won't be framed for another month.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

Artaholic
08-24-2006, 11:54 PM
:clap: :clap: WoW:thumbsup:

ponting
09-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks Gerry!! :wave:

diash
11-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Oh I hadn't seen your last post Dianna; just picked up on it. Yes I am back in France but coming home at the end of the month for Christmas festivities in UK and then back out here for the ski season. We are retired now and one of the pleasures is to be able to come and go as we please. I regularly attend an art group here in the Alps and it is really like a second home now. However, I would rush home at a moments notice to attend another of your wonderful workshops!!! Any in the pipeline?

*Violet*
11-19-2006, 01:15 PM
fabulous painting dianna !! ... just as has been said by everyone above ... forgive me though for mentioning this one thing ... the light strip, 4th from the left, to my eye should be wider where it meets the apple so it matches up with the bit beyond the white base under the apple ... can you see what i mean? ...

ponting
11-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi Diana

How great to hear from you and I love it that I get a sense to what your up to. RETIRED!! wow how great...I'll bet that doesn't include you and your art LOL!! Nothing set yet for workshops but I am still thinking of something for 2008 in the UK...stay tuned. :D

Hello Violet

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I haven't yet figured out just where you are looking but will take your word for it that one of the stripes needs some beefing up. :D It's certainly interesting and fun to do a 'blind' painting with all the starts and stops working their way across and draping around folds. I have several more planned for the spring and just need some sunlight to set them up.

Cheers and thanks again, Dianna

*Violet*
11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
my apologies for so late getting back to you to show you what i meant ... for what it's worth i've circled the patch of stripe that confuses *my* eye :lol: ... and tried to show you why with the lines ... by all means, just ignore my prattle if it reads right to you and the others ... i just didn't want my comment to dangle without explanation ... it's a lovely lovely painting as it is and i wish i could do half as wonderfully as you do ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2006/46454-000_34523-Ornamental-Crabapples-med.jpg

ponting
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Hello Violet

Now I see where you are....thanks so much for taking the time to point it out. I wouldn't have found it without this. I obviously wasn't too concerned about keeping my lines Ďalignedí:lol: was I? Once you popped your lines in there I can see that it's more this alignment that would bother me than the thickness. Since we're working with an undulating fabric background, I don't think it's too much of a problem to the overall picture. When I look close here, I think I probably just threw that light area in to help delineate the lid slightly. Sometimes you have to sacrifice one thing for the sake of another.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2006/34523-Crabapple-close.jpg

Iím thrilled that you have taken the time to REALLY look at my work rather than just the sum of the parts. I do need these questions and comments to keep me on my toes. Thanks Violet