PDA

View Full Version : Blue Swirl Plate

*Violet*
08-17-2006, 08:01 PM
well ... i haven't gotten better paper yet but the image was haunting me to do it to accompany *Green Glass Plate* in my series ... this being the 2nd ... :lol: ... i did it on white canson again in keeping with the other ... i used nupastels, carbothelos (does anyone have any trouble with sharpening them ??? -- some just keep breaking !!! .... :envy:), coloured contes, and a couple rowneys ... and it's 8"x10" ...

again, the reference was my photo taken of glassware at an arts and crafts festival ... the coloured glass was so beautiful in the sunlight !! ...

anyway ... please by all means critique away !! ... all's appreciated ... :)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2006/46454-Blue_Swirl_Plate_Sm.jpg

Bringer
08-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi Violet ?

Did you get dizzy doing this ? :-)
This reminds me of Escher's works.
I think you did quite well, especially working on Canson.

Kind regards,

Josť

*Violet*
08-17-2006, 08:24 PM
lol ... maybe that too ... cross-eyed mostly !! ... had to work with my glasses off !! ... it was real hard for me to figure out what colour went where for most of it ... !!! ... thank you for the compliment, josť ... :) ... can't wait to try some sanded paper ...

scall0way
08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
wow, this is amazingly cool, though it does make me a bit dizzy to look at, :lol:. I love it however. A wonderful job, and what a fascinating crop.

CindyW
08-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Ooo, Violet, very exciting and lots of energy!
Looks great!
Cindy

beebluefern
08-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Violet...it's gorgeous...love those twinkles of sunlight on the glass too!

Merriel
08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Beautiful, and something different. Very well done I think.

Leirrem

AnnieA
08-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi Violet! :wave:

The colors in this are lovely, and I agree with Debbie: the way you've cropped this adds a lot to the interest of the painting. Great job! :thumbsup:

*Violet*
08-17-2006, 09:51 PM
wow ... you folk are very kind indeed !! ... i've a couple other ones to do and maybe ... just maybe ... i'll get started on one of 'em with that kind of support !! ... once my eyeballs settle down that is ... :lol: ... thank you so very much everyone !! ...

Jackmorgan
08-17-2006, 10:07 PM
I've not visited this forum much and I'm glad I came by today to see this! I love the way your eyes move around the painting. Donna

M Douglas
08-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Another beautiful plate Violet, keep them coming!

Sometimes the pastel inside the pencil is already broken, caused by dropping which is why you are probably having problems sharpening them. Very common problem from what i've seen.

Melodie

Bryarpatch
08-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Coooooool! That's the word that comes out each time I look at it. I love it! You did a fantastic job!

You don't have to have sanded paper. Art Spectrum Colourfix Primer adds a wonderful ground. Just be sure to stretch your paper when you apply it. But it also goes on practically any clean surface.

I wondered why some of my pencils just break and break. That makes total sense Melodie.

LostInWonderArt
08-18-2006, 11:29 PM
I love this. It's so vibrant and swirly.

You might have better results with your pastel pencils if you shave or sand them rather than sharpen. Sometimes, like was already said, they are shattered in the barrel. Sometimes, the pressure of pushing the pencil into a sharpener shatters it down the barrel, too.

Use an xacto knife with a sharp blade to shave the wood and tip (shaving away from you, don't want to hear that you've impaled yourself!!!). If you just need to re-point (if that's a word), you can use a sanded block to shape it. Also, if you're shaving with an xacto, and you break the tip, it's less likely that it'll shatter the whole way down the barrel.

Maureen

Holley
08-19-2006, 04:14 AM
This looks good Violet, I can see how you went cross eyed creating it, lol!
I too like the crop.
I have trouble sharpening my CarbOthello's all the time, in fact there is a fair bit of swearing when I work, lol! But oh silly me persists with them and then I use them again and again, sigh! My Faber-Castells are less trouble.

satheesh
08-19-2006, 07:49 AM
great colours! will look stunning framed :clap: :clap: