PDA

View Full Version : 35mm Camera for Class?

k7on
08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Hello,

I am new to Wet Canvas and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Brian and I live in Snowflake, AZ.

On Monday I will begin photography classes through a local community college. For one of the classes, a 35mm camera is required for taking some black and white photos.

I have been interested in photography for some time, though for I have been using a digital camera recently. I still have my old Canon A-1, but I was wondering what camera might be best for such a class? Any suggestions?

My classes are Beginning Photography (a prerequisite for almost everything) and Photography as an Art Medium. I have done some black and white developing/printing in the past, but it was years ago and done informally.

Brian

tomreese
08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what type of digital camera you're using now. If it's a single lens reflex with detachable lenses then I think you should look for a film body that will accept the same lenses.

If you don't have a digital SLR then I think you should check your AE-1 and use it if:

the shutter speeds are still accurate

the lens (lenses?) are clear and clean and the diaphragm works the way it should

it doesn't have any light leaks or other mechanical issues.

You might want to shoot a test roll and see if the camera is still usable.

If you can't use your AE-1, then I don't think you should spend a lot of money on a film body unless you'll continue to shoot film after you finish your classes. You can pick up a used film body from KEH.com that will meet your needs quite nicely. You should probably choose either Canon EOS or a newer model Nikon so any lenses you buy can be used with a digital SLR that you may decide to buy later.

I hope this helps.

Tom

k7on
08-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Tom.

I have a Nikon 5700 digital (non-SLR), but it requires repair (again). My other digital is an older, simple Sony (also non-SLR).

The 35mm camera is actually an A-1. I got my first A-1 around 1981 while stationed in Hawaii. I have not used the A-1 in ages.

Can you suggest a particular Nikon 35mm that is readily available? Living in the White Mountains, we have fewer choices than when I lived in the valley (Phoenix) for 20 years. There is a Wal-Mart in Show Low.

Brian

tomreese
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Tom.

The 35mm camera is actually an A-1. I got my first A-1 around 1981 while stationed in Hawaii. I have not used the A-1 in ages.

Can you suggest a particular Nikon 35mm that is readily available? Living in the White Mountains, we have fewer choices than when I lived in the valley (Phoenix) for 20 years. There is a Wal-Mart in Show Low.

Brian

Brian,

I don't know enough about the Nikon film bodies to recommend one. I still think you need to consider how much use you'll give the camera after you finish your classes and what type of use you'll give it. I think a very basic film body will suffice for the class itself.

If you think you'll really get serious about it then there are some features that you might want:

spot metering capability
mirror lock-up (some call it mirror pre-fire)
double exposure
weather sealing
durability
fast autofocus

I hope this helps.

Tom

kaleidoscope eyes
08-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Brian and welcome to WC! and the photography forums.
I'm moving your post to the main 'photography' page as that's where equipment and software questions reside.
Feel free to join in the discussions in any of the forums and post some pics, it's a friendly and informative group here :)

k7on
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum :)

I had once joined and participated in the "Manipulations" forum.
Photoshop is a lot of fun for me, also.

I didn't realize which forums there were, otherwise.

Again, sorry.

Brian

Windy
08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Brian how much use are you going to get out of the camera when you have done. You can often pick up good preloved cameras at the second hand stores or on ebay.
Maybe your old film camera will do the job for now till you work out what you need (sometimes the colleges have cameras you can hire)

Ken Seymour
08-25-2006, 06:50 PM
If I were starting out from scratch, I would buy a 35mm SLR that was either a Canon or a Nikon. I would be careful to pick one where the lens you got would also work with a digital SLR from the same brand, which you may end up buying later.

I did a quick search on B&H Photo and Video and found this:

Canon EOS Elan 7N 35mm SLR Autofocus Camera Kit with Canon 28-105mm f/4-5.6 EF

for $400 US.

Another combination, or kit, was:

Nikon N55 35mm SLR Autofocus Camera Kit with Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G-AF Lens - Silver & Black

for $200 US.
I did not do an exaustive search. But either of these cameras would be good for a class and later use.