PDA

View Full Version : Maimeri Soft Pastels

binkie
08-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Does anyone use Maimeri pastels? If so, how do you like them and which pastels do you think are similar in softness?

Thanks
binkie

kyliecarney
08-13-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi Binkie,
My understanding is that they are student-grade pastels. I would be more inclined to splash out on some higher quality ones, as student grade ones tend not to handle as well, are more chalky and may not be light fast. To start off with I would recommend something like Rembrandts or Windsor and Newton - moderately priced, but professional quality. There are also other softer pastels like Unison or Schmincke which are really lovely too.
Hope this helps,
Kylie

Bringer
08-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I've seen Maimeri pastels here, but never tried.
I was told that they are a bit softer than Rembrandt.
I don't think that they are student grade.
However for what I've seen, they won't come close to the likes of Sennelier or Schminke.

http://www.maimeri.it/Generale/colorprod.asp?mnu=0601
( go down to see the colours)

I didn't see anything about their pastels at US sites.
Only about the other products.

Kind regards,

Josť

KJSCL
08-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Binkie

I have the full set of Maimeri pastels. They are artist quality pastels, not student. They are about the same size and degree of softness as Rembrandt. I use them interchangeably with Rembrandts and W&N as a medium soft pastel. One big advantage of the Maimeri over the Rembrandt and W&N, is that there isn't one "hard or scratchy" one in the lot. They have some very nice colors in their line of 90. If you have ever used their watercolors, the names will be very familiar.

binkie
08-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the information. I was wondering because I came upon an art supply in the US that sells them at a reasonable price (at least I think they were reasonable) while I was surfing the net.

Thanks
binkie