PDA

View Full Version : Week 33 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
08-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi and welcome to the lastest week in our adventure.
These are our studies of classical artists.
I hope you will join in with your version and
show us who has inspired you.

Any medium is welcomed.

Since I am away, no picture this week but a lovely article, one of my
favorites.

An Introduction to Anders Zorn

05-12-2003 - Take a walk on the colorful road that leads to the heart and mind of Swedish painter, Anders Zorn (1860-1920).
Read this introduction to his art and life, written exclusively for WetCanvas by Matt Viinanen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/15549/305/

Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the ride. :)

Nickel

tyree
08-13-2006, 01:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2006/65063-original_godward.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2006/65063-godward.jpg john wm godward...the fruit vendor...1917...english victorian neoclassical....graphite study....your c and c's will be most welcome!!!! tyree

Nickel
08-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Susan, gosh guess we got the car all to ourself????????????

Your lady looks great, I see the Susan in this sketch. :) And you know that is what I like to see. A little softening on the line at her neck at the lower cheek area, and lengthen the pinkie finger, the leg is good. It is a challenge with two feet and two hands, lots of angles and circles in perspective, you caught them pretty good. I like the expression of your lion. Nickel

tyree
08-14-2006, 08:55 PM
thank you nickel ...i see other things too...the arm is a bit long...the lean of the head is not back enough....the lions paws....the fruit is closer to the lions paws....this paper is not doing too well on corrections....so this maybe it...but at least we've analyzed it....and i can try another figure....hope your having a good time!!!!! tyree:wave:

Mony G
08-15-2006, 08:55 AM
thank you nickel ...i see other things too...the arm is a bit long...the lean of the head is not back enough....the lions paws....the fruit is closer to the lions paws....this paper is not doing too well on corrections....so this maybe it...but at least we've analyzed it....and i can try another figure....hope your having a good time!!!!! tyree:wave:

The analysis is right... the arm is actually too long and there are some mistakes!
...but it is pleasant to see!
do you want to see my new one?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2006/77963-La_Maddalena-Caravaggio.JPG

" La Maddalena " by Caravaggio!

I have to close as my modem doesn't work very well lately.. hope this uploading won't turn out to be a mess!

Mony G :wave:

Nickel
08-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Jumping Jelly Beans Susan! Lookie, Hi Mony! :wave:
You've done my fav Mary. I love this one by Carravaggio
and have tried to do the still life with it from life a few times.
Quiet a challenge with the light not shown but assumed from the
upper left corner.
Nice work Mony!
I often wonder if the chair inspired van Gogh from this painting?
If you want a close up of this painting. There is the virtual museum
link, I'll look for it and post if you want, you can zoom in very close.
This painting I have studied much, her hands would make a nice painting
by theirself.

Hi Susan, I really get upset when I try and erase, never the same.
She is lovely like you have her.
She has her own energy.

I'm back home now, got in today. Thank you for the well wishes.
Sorry I haven't update the gallery.
Will work on that this week too.

Take care.
Nickel

hehe, I bet if I look, I am going to find Barbara! Bet she is off taking photos of some special place.:wave:

Or our Rose :wave:

Maybe, I might find Robert and Keith too.
Wonder if they like hotdogs?:wave:

Nickel
08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Here you go Mony, you may find this thread interesting about Caravaggio. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310089

Hope your modem starts to behave. Tech stuff drives me nuts. :0)

tyree
08-15-2006, 05:43 PM
hi mony....great to see ya back!!!! and a very beautiful job on your drawing too!!!! nickel...ketchup, and onions on my nathan dog please!!!!:lol: tyree:wave:

Nickel
08-15-2006, 07:41 PM
I bet you want a fried crispy nathan too...........:D
Just save some of those White Castle's burgers for me.....:D

Mony G
08-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Here you go Mony, you may find this thread interesting about Caravaggio. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310089

Hope your modem starts to behave. Tech stuff drives me nuts. :0)

Hi ladies !
My modem is working well again!..

Thank you for the great link about Caravaggio... it's really interesting !

and thank you for your comments about my drawing, you are always so kind and encouraging ...

:) :) :)

Mony

Mony G
08-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Hi ladies !
I hope my modem will start working well soon !
The Caravaggio link is really interesting (it's in Italian too!) and thank you all for your kind comments about my drawings... they are so encouraging !

:) :cat: :) :cat:

Mony

As you can see... it doesn't work well at all...:mad:

tyree
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/65063-eye.jpg gotta go to work now....but eye'll be back:evil: (did this in d and s this week, good practice!!!) have a good day~~tyree:wave: :wave: ps...glad your puters working mony...!!!!! or sorta working!!!!!

Nickel
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Pretty awesome eye Susan! has a real 3-d look and I like it!
Has a nice wet look too!
lol, it's looking at me....:D

Mony, could be the wc software doing it's thing too. ;)

Glad you enjoy the link.

PushingPixels
08-17-2006, 12:34 AM
huf huf puff... I made it! Great work this week Tyree, Mony! The eye has it Tyree, very realistic!!!
I must confess I've been studing Surealisim this week and sorting through photos I have hundreds to go thru. I've been distracted. GOOD to see you Nickel!!:wave: :wave:

But I did a quickie by TITAN so here goes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2006/44004-titansm.jpg

Nickel
08-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey Barb, good to see you and this Titan! I do love the hat! Quiet the chapper dapper! Adorable.
Surrealism is interesting. Are you posting it somewhere were we can see? I did a Dali last year....I think he was a good artist. Who is your focus of studies?

Hi Susan, don't be working so hard...
Mony, I think those double post are on this end and not you.

Have a good day ladies!

Nickel

Mony G
08-18-2006, 05:56 AM
I don't know whether it was my fault or WC's... anyhow... sorry!

I Love Surrealism !
It 's my favourite... I visited the Magritte exibition in Como a couple of months ago and although I prefer Dali and don't love Magritte too much there were some great paintings there ... I saw a very crowded Dalý exibition in Venice last year ... really fantastic... I find his tecnique perfection !

..I almost finished an oil painting of two horses ..do you want to see it?here it is... still wet and on the aisle .."Lucy and Danger"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2006/77963-P3080031zip.JPG

...it isn't a classical copy... but I hope you like it just the same !

Mony G

Nickel
08-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Charming expression on Lucy & Danger's face!!!!
Mony I like this painting very much!

Bravo!

Nickel

tyree
08-18-2006, 09:26 PM
barb...what a great lookin' chap,,,love the funky hat!!!!! mony...im with nickel,,,i love this painting....im so glad you posted it for us....terrific job!!!!! hi nickel!!!!! tyree:smug:

Nickel
08-18-2006, 10:26 PM
hi ya kiddo! tick tock goes the clock......my light burned out in the paint room so I need to buy a bulb......what an excuse to not wash brushes. lol.
it's taken all week to recover from the trip and still not there yet..I don't know what it is that cause spurts of activity with me.....sugar dosn't seem to work the same way anymore......coffee.....yeah...give me coffee. some days, it's full speed....I did work on the plumbing.....plummer says I'm not qualified to do these things......so does everyone else.....but hey.....it's just plummbing. one day I am sure I'll be sorry that I don't listen. very stubborn girl.:)

PushingPixels
08-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Nickel I'm with you honey... if you wan't something done around my house you have to do it yourself:thumbsup:
My hubby is not the fixer upper type. Mony your babies are beautiful I love the way their heads are together sharing a horse secret no doupt. Where do you live - near Venice by any chance. You get to see so many wonderful works of art!

It is my dream to travel to Venice, Italy someday and France to the Louve. And to top it off,,, if I could go to St. Petersburg, Russia OH MY. Would I be in heaven.

I have always liked Dali's work but the book I'm reading is on Marcell Du Champ (Nude decending a staircase). Although not surealist he was heavily involved with the Dada movement a precurser to Surealisim.

I am drawn to Surealisim because of the use of "phychic automation" or the use of the subconcious to inspire imagry much in the way our dreams bring imagry. Symbolisim plays a role as well. (William Blake subscribed to this thought as well. I believe ali really was living on another plane altogether.

Just for grins I'll post my automatic drawing.

PushingPixels
08-20-2006, 01:06 PM
automatic drawing titled "tampering with the DNA chain"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2006/44004-dna.jpg

Nickel
08-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey Barb, the last time I called a plummer, I got a good talk about how I shouldn't do things and a bill for 150.00 :( plus his pants didn't fit if you know what I mean.....I can live without that.

Your piece is quiet the number, I see the dna well :D

I don't know much about "phychic automation" or the use of the subconcious to inspire imagry much in the way our dreams bring imagry.

I try to avoid dreaming, and my subconcious is on vacation :lol:

It is interesting to see your drawing. And I like it! Are you going to add color?

I found this drawing today and it reminded me of yours, it is Flemish from the 1600's. Sorry it is blury, it was only about 1"x1" so really small. Nickel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2006/39040-3.jpg

tyree
08-21-2006, 11:59 PM
barb...silly me...i thought this was a vase at first:lol: :p ive been caught up with work this weekend and today...i work cleaning at the airport on the weekends in the tsa offices (homeland security offices) and i bartend during the week..and this weekend was hectic...so im running late on the week 34...but will work on it tomorrow...my day off...after i do some badly needed yard work:mad: maybe it will rain early:o tyree:wave: :heart:

Mony G
08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Nickel I'm with you honey... if you wan't something done around my house you have to do it yourself:thumbsup:
My hubby is not the fixer upper type. Mony your babies are beautiful I love the way their heads are together sharing a horse secret no doupt. Where do you live - near Venice by any chance. You get to see so many wonderful works of art!

It is my dream to travel to Venice, Italy someday and France to the Louve. And to top it off,,, if I could go to St. Petersburg, Russia OH MY. Would I be in heaven.

I have always liked Dali's work but the book I'm reading is on Marcell Du Champ (Nude decending a staircase). Although not surealist he was heavily involved with the Dada movement a precurser to Surealisim.

I am drawn to Surealisim because of the use of "phychic automation" or the use of the subconcious to inspire imagry much in the way our dreams bring imagry. Symbolisim plays a role as well. (William Blake subscribed to this thought as well. I believe ali really was living on another plane altogether.

Just for grins I'll post my automatic drawing.

Automatic drawings are always so interesting... and I'm glad to know you like my latest work... I'm also glad to see that I have been able to express the feeling I wanted to give it!..two tame horse sharing who knows what kind of "Horsey secret"!

I don't actually live near Venice but at about 250 kms from there... I live near Como. , near the Swiss border, at about 50 kms away from Milan .

I'd love to travel too, I'd like to go back to the British Isles, especially Ireland, I'd love to go to Russia too!
I prefer northern European countries to southern ones :wave:

Be reading from you all next week.. which has already started!

tyree
08-22-2006, 03:03 PM
You all are going to have to explain to me what an automatic drawing is???? Im lost:( on this one...is it something that just pops out of your head???? tyree

Mony G
08-23-2006, 03:56 AM
You all are going to have to explain to me what an automatic drawing is???? Im lost:( on this one...is it something that just pops out of your head???? tyree

Automatic drawings are things that just pop out your head while you are automatically scribbling something ... while you are at the phone , for example... is that right , ladies ?

Nickel
08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Here is how I understand it, an exploit of mysteries based on feelings. Exploring the subconscious feelings and impulses through distortions of space, double images, and grotesque juxtapositions of objects and ideas by an association with what one dreams. Kind of like exploring a dreamlike fantasy or unreal world making it real with art. I think some of them like Dali used drugs to enhance their dream states. I guess it is kind of more like expressionism, as in no rules of the Renaissance relating to traditional realistic images or space. How did I do Barb? :wave: Nickel

PushingPixels
08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Here is how I understand it, an exploit of mysteries based on feelings. Exploring the subconscious feelings and impulses through distortions of space, double images, and grotesque juxtapositions of objects and ideas by an association with what one dreams. Kind of like exploring a dreamlike fantasy or unreal world making it real with art. I think some of them like Dali used drugs to enhance their dream states. I guess it is kind of more like expressionism, as in no rules of the Renaissance relating to traditional realistic images or space. How did I do Barb? :wave: Nickel

You are both right on as they said in the 70's... he he.
Let your mind wander with your pecil. I do this all the time in office meetings but it seems much more productive in a quiet meditative envirionment. Office meetings tend to produce hang man, tic tac toe, and strange targets... LOL:D

PushingPixels

Let your mind wander with your pencil. I do this all the time in office meetings but it seems much more productive in a quiet meditative envirionment. Office meetings tend to produce hang man, tic tac toe, and strange targets... LOL:D

PushingPixels
SORRY posted twice and can'y remove it....Now what.

Let your mind wander with your pencil. I do this all the time in office meetings but it seems much more productive in a quiet meditative envirionment. Office meetings tend to produce hang man, tic tac toe, and strange targets... LOL:D

Nickel
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
lol Barb, how funny ......hang man...I get the picture :)
I asked Barb to stop in and fix the posts.
Same thing happen to Mony....
Its the software here, hangs.....like in hang man. hehe

tyree
08-24-2006, 11:55 PM
wow...flashback...thought i just read barbs replies three times:evil: tyree