PDA

View Full Version : Mountain View WIP needs help!!!

Sketchcny
08-12-2006, 12:08 AM
If you haven't noticed, I've been busy painting this week!

This is another painting I began a year ago, set aside, and kept looking at saying "it needs work" but wasn't sure what to do. It measures 15.5" x 21" on Wallis paper.

I've adjusted the sky (it was previously a mix of pink, peach and pale blue), because it was throwing the whole balance of the painting off. I like where this sky is going much better!

Still, the piece seems to be "off." Any suggestions??

Note: the distant mountains in the upper left quadrant are still being worked on ..... I just knew it was time to ask for help!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2006/63737-DSC08273.JPG

Paul

Dea
08-12-2006, 03:45 AM
The colours in this are beautiful, sorry I'm not much help when it comes to landscapes but I like it alot,
Deanna.

Tressa
08-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Paul, it is lovely, and the only thing I see that may be giving you a problem is the values.. the mountains in the distance, midground and rocks in foreground all seem to be the same value...I know you use high key color, but in order to create the distance that this piece needs, the greens etc..would not be so pronounced on mts that far away..I know you said the far mts are still being worked on, and their value would be even more muted....does that make sense to you?
Your darks are wonderful, and the overall scene is a great piece..hope this helps you and is just my 2 cents:)
Tres

*Deirdre*
08-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Paul...I'm no expert..but what I did was to half close my eyes...and looked at your painting....I found the second/middle dark green mpountain looked out of place at that level of darkness....because on the other side it's lighter. I also found the mountain in the centre of the painting was the same value as the mountains on the back...to get the depth right you may have to lighten the far distance. Try the half close your eyes test yourself - it will make sense then!:wink2:

Muminami
08-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Paul, this is a wonderful piece! I love your colors, and it's a good composition, and I would say that you are almost there. Right now it's mainly that the distant mountains/hills are still just a little too dark and too saturated, and so the lovely foreground with the earhy red rocks are competing with the distant mountain in the middle. My eyes were just jumping between these two points instead of being gently lead from the foreground to the distant hills along path of the river. I took your picture into Photoshop (I hope you don't mind), and just lightened/desaturated the distant mountains a bit, and toned down the very intense ultramarine in the middle ground just a little, just to give you an impression:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2006/59080-Landscape.jpg
With just a little more work this will be gorgeous!

Sketchcny
08-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Thank you to everyone!! Muminami, it was very nice of you to take the time to do that in photoshop. You all saw the same issue with the painting, and it was what I was trying to see .... time to desaturate the distant mountains.

Thanks!!!
Paul

Artaholic
08-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Nice painting. Waiting to see it when you tweek it.

Muminami
08-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi Paul,
I hope you will keep us updated on this painting, because I think it has a lot of potential and I'm just curious about how it will turn out. :clap:
I also just had a look at your other postings and saw that you have an incredible way of using vibrant, bold colors! I especially loved your "Baled Hay" painting and the one where you made the "dramatic changes". I was wondering if you could maybe enhance the picture even more, if you used that special, bold style of yours to work out the foreground with the rocks and the more narrow trees even more in that way?

Charles Perera
08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Definitely a beautiful pastel.

Charles

beebluefern
08-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Paul, I love the colours in this...I think that is one of the things I enjoy seeing most with pastel work-the use of brilliant colour, just makes the paintings so rich and exciting. You've done a fantastic job on this one!

Sketchcny
08-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks to all of you who commented and encouraged!

I also love the bold color that pastel offers -- brings out the colorist in me! The foreground rocks are certainly bothering me; they incorporate gray, which I have stopped using since originally working on this painting. There was a great thread awhile back about blending your own grays, and a subsequent challenge to try a painting with self-made grays (I know Deborah (DeeArtist) had a hand in those threads). I may scumble over the foreground rocks with orange/green/purple to enrich the color in the rocks.

Paul

Sketchcny
08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
I toyed around with the sky, a bit. If there is sunlight on the mountains and the rocks, there needs to be sunlight in the sky. I didn't want to overdo the color in the sky, however, b/c the sky is cropped low. Next painting like this may incorporate more sky and less emphasis upon the land. Always something new to try :thumbsup:

The foreground rocks always struck me as somewhat harsh-looking, so I smoothed them and blended my own grays into them.

Here is the final image:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2006/63737-Overlook_FINAL.jpg

Paul

sielograms
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Paul, Thanks for sharing this WIP. It helps to read what advise is given and then to see the changes. This came out looking beautiful.
Sharon

Muminami
08-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Huge improvement, Paul!!! :thumbsup:

I love your solution about creating depth without sacrificing on the intensity of colors! The blues now harmonize the picture nicely, as does the red/oranges now which link the rocks in the foreground with the rest of the picture! I love the way you improved the sky and the rocks! I think it is always much more challenging to work over an old picture than to start from the scratch. You did great on this one! It will look wonderful on your wall (or a customer's) with a nice mat and frame!