PDA

View Full Version : collage instruction,ideas,techniques book?

elaine pelosi
03-18-2002, 03:56 AM
Looking for some great books to begin collage. I love it! Can you use tissue paper? Do you mount on canvas?

sassybird
03-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Elaine, I have used fabric, natural fibers, paper (natural and man made), stuffing, stiffining, all kinds of things that are at hand to do collage. I've never looked for books or instruction on the subject, but I am sure there are some out there. You might do an engine search, or check amazon or one of the other book dealers for information.

Oh, I also used bubble wrap in a piece I did for the mixed media project, and then painted over it. Just let your imagination run wild, and have fun!

Leaflin
03-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi Elaine :)
I have two books that I would highly recommend

"Creative Collage Techniques"
By Nita Leland and Virginia Lee Williams
ISBN 0-89134-563-9
North Light Books
It is a step by step guide with 52 demonstrations and the work of over 60 artists.

"Celebrate Your Creative Self"
By Mary Todd Beam
ISBN 1-58180-102-5
North Light Books

I have used tissue paper, rice paper all sorts of things :)
All the collages I have done have been on 400lb watercolour paper or illustration board.
I have seen others use canvas.

Hope you have a great time creating and will show us the fruits of your labor :)

writes4me
03-18-2002, 12:44 PM
I do collages on 300lb watercolor paper, on canvas board (because it's cheap) and sometimes on stretched canvas. I recently attended a workshop with Claudine Hellmuth www.collageartist.com and she prefers to use stretched canvas because she tends to get them wet when she does her transfer techniques, she can sand them and they take a lot of abuse. It's all up to you.

I use whatever paper I can get my hands on, kenwashi paper (a Japanese paper) has lovely texture and tears in interesting ways. You can watercolor on it or give it an acrylic wash. I like to use magazine papers that I tear into little bits and do mosaic collages. Some people use tissue paper or handmade papers. I took a handmade paper class and it was a blast. You appreciate your paper much more when you make it yourself. ;)

As far as glues and such go, I mostly use Sobo glue, Gloss Gel Medium (Golden's brand or Liquitex) and photo safe glue sticks. I used to use Matte Medium but it dried too quickly and I like to move things around a bit. The thing with using Mediums is they act as a varnish as well as a glue. Check with piece of colored paper and glue before you glue anything down because I've found some glues make the color bleed (Heaven forbide, LOL)

Enjoy yourself and let the muse out!

Sunday (my name)

artbabe21
03-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi Sunday, welcome! Claudine is a friend of mine, not only a talented artist but a comediene as well!! I still haven't taken her work shop as yet.

Elaine, Nita Leland's book is the one I would recommend as well.
It's the only book I own on collage. I use mostly papers and YES, tissue is lovely in collage.

Leaflin, please can you tell me about Mary Beam's book? I have heard it recommended highly but never knew it might have collage in it, or what it was really about. What sort of artist would benefit by this book?
Cathleen~

elaine pelosi
03-19-2002, 01:01 AM
Book Description
Artists and creatives of all kinds who are looking for new ways to liberate their artistic imagination will love this book. Readers are invited to playfully explore various aspects of visual art, such as light, color, texture and design through a series of imaginative art projects. Artists will experiment hands-on with dozens of techniques and mediums in new and unconventional ways including: * Capturing whites with crayon and wax resist * Glazing and floating colors * Portraying the patterns of nature with sedimentation and precipitation * Loosening up with gesso painting and printing with plastic * Constructing a new piece of art from old work * Experimenting with three-dimensional assemblage * Creating a street map In addition, artists are prompted to challenge their imaginations by building new painting surfaces, creating their own personal symbols and more. Further inspiration can be found in a gallery of work by more than 30 contributing artists. Celebrate Your Creative Self is a fun, no-fail guide every artist should have.

About the Author
Mary Todd Beam is one of the best-known workshop instructors in the realm of artistic creativity. She has been giving workshops all over the country for a number of years and is an award-winning artist. She divides her time between Cambridge, Ohio and Cosby, Tennessee.

artbabe21
03-19-2002, 01:11 AM
thanks elaine!! when you asked for magazines, i had no clue it was books you were looking for---but nita's is the best i have
found!

elaine pelosi
03-19-2002, 07:50 AM
i WAS ASKING FOR MAGAZINES.....BUT SOMEONE THOUGHT i MEANT MAGAZINES TO CUT UP AND i MEANT MAGAZINES TO READ THAT WERE INSTRUCTIONAL AND books TOO! e yOU WERE RIGHT