PDA

View Full Version : Vpon Virtual Workshop

Piper Ballou
08-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Vpon- Virtual Paintout online- a place where a few Wet Canvasers and a few others meet online to paint, chat, support each other and laugh a lot. We have been going for about a year now and have 60 members, we even got some of the non WC people to join Wet Canvas. We use yahoo messanger for our means of support because we can use web cams. We have all mediums and we have members from all over the world.

Today we had an online pastel lesson as some of the non-pastelists (I am working on converting them to pastels) wanted to learn how to use pastels. I think there were six or seven web cams turned on as I shared tips I learned from Dianna's Ponting (with her permission). I used a mic to give the instruction and everyone else had to type ( I liked that part, no pastel dust on my keyborad) some of painted about 3 hours using a photo from the WC library.

Here is my results and others will be posting their paintings here also. For a few of them this was their very first pastel painting. I was so busy watching the web cams and talking that my pepper turned out darker then I wanted and a little off shaped but we had a great time painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2006/8539-Pepper-resized.jpg

piper

mairrca
08-10-2006, 11:08 PM
I had a great time this afternoon. Piper was fun, funny and I learned a lot. I wasn't going to paint but after watching for 10 minutes...I couldn't resist. It was wonderful..thanks for the great lesson piper.
Here is mine. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2006/16507-Pepperc.jpg

khourianya
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
It was fun. Now that VPON is having more online workshops happening, it should be interesting to see the directions people end up going with their art.

btw - Piper is an amazing teacher! her Jr High students are lucky to have her!

Here's my lil pepper (9x12)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2006/47843-aug10_pepper.jpg

Mandy Valin
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2006/10914-piperspepper.jpg

Here's mine....I always finish too soon at these things and spend the rest of the time distractin the others. This pepper was fun :D The lesson was SOO wonderful, Piper did such an awesome job! The hardest part of the leson was evryone trying to figure out how to tape the paper to the board lol.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Piper Ballou
08-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Glad you all found the thread....okay, I admit I had some mini problems.....like taping my paper on the wrong way, then forgetting to tell you how to actually transfer the drawing onto the paper.....I am glad you all got a hoot out of it.
It was a lot of fun....and your peppers look grand.
piper

artgirl3571
08-11-2006, 12:53 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2006/88430-HPIM2992.JPG I hope this works. Here my pepper. Had a great time , This is my frist VPON and pastel. Piper was wonderful, a natural teacher. Thanks piper. I am now addicted to VPON lol. see ya 'll on the 14th. I am enjoying meeting a great and funny group of Artist. Thanks guys . ttyl:wave: :clap: Again thank you Piper for the class.

Piper Ballou
08-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Terry, you did a great job...the colors are bright..you are going to get addicted soon...LOL

Merethe T
08-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Wonderful paintings, you did a great job!!! Look like you're doing a good job converting the others into pastels Piper... :)
I'm so sorry I missed it, I'll explain later...sometimes life just gets in the way of our plans...

I know Piper is a great teacher, and I will be there for the next lesson! I know you all had a great time...

fortysomething
08-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, I'm sorry I missed this lesson. I think maybe I'll look into this Yahoo chat stuff- hahaha, maybe even figure it out! I have a new computer that I'm unfamiliar with, but it can take a "still" picture. Maybe it does the web cam thingy too. If any VPON members are using an iMac, maybe you could point me towards a good tutorial (or book)?

The peppers are wonderful. I never thought of myself as a "red" person, but I sure do like these! Great job!

chewie
08-11-2006, 10:36 AM
yeah, piper, how bout a lesson on how to GET the lessons?! :) that looked like fun!

Lady_Morgana
08-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi all,

i am the slow duck in this, because i am one of those who never tried pastels before but wanted to learn. Piper, you did such a good job teaching, even me has understood and was able to produce something that actually looks like the reference. Well i had to do a few touch ups today and i wanted natural light for the photo, so that is why i am so late posting this photo.

33,5 x 27,5 cm on Schmincke Sansfix sanded paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2006/55468-P-redpepper.jpg

at least the colors are somewhere close to what is there in real, but somehow i lost my darks in the photo, the dark purple pastel was so shiny even when i put it down in shadow outside that i had to adjust it back to being darks. Where ever you can see shades of purple, imagin it two numbers darker, i need lessons on photography sorely too. :D

This was soooo much fun and i will for sure be back on the 14th for more fun and i will add pastels to the list of mediums i love working with!

Bye
Morgana

Piper Ballou
08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Lisa and Chewie, Thanks for you lovely comments, all you need is yahoo messenger to join, cori (khourianya) had the idea a year ago that it would be fun to paint with someone. We still support Wet Canvas 200% but needed edsomewhere to have web cams but you can get by without one too, all that means is we cannot see you...
stop by and just see what it is all about, my yahoo ID is jenpie65 just add me to your list and I will make sure you get asked to join the next paintout, which lately it almost daily lately.
hope to see you and anyone else
piper

Skinny
08-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I had SO MUCH FUN! Morgana, one would never know you were just starting out in pastels. Your pepper is great. Thanks, Piper! :clap: :clap: :clap:

khourianya
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, I'm sorry I missed this lesson. I think maybe I'll look into this Yahoo chat stuff- hahaha, maybe even figure it out! I have a new computer that I'm unfamiliar with, but it can take a "still" picture. Maybe it does the web cam thingy too. If any VPON members are using an iMac, maybe you could point me towards a good tutorial (or book)?

I am a mac user, Lisa. I don't have one of the new iMacs witht he built in iSight, though. cam has a new MacBook Pro that des have it so I can maybe run some webcam tests on it. It should work fine with Yahoo, though. all you need for VPON is Yahoo messenger and the desire to paint. When you are in yahoo, it should recognize your built in camera and should work just fine. You can join VPON by clicking on the little picture inmy sig line and signing up. It's free and signing up gives you access to everyones yahoo IDs so people can help you test it out! :) We'd love to have you. (and I'd prefer if you actually signed up so you can see the other side of VPON too - we have a little forum for planning workshops and discussing paintouts (so we don't clog the airwaves here). It is also a great place to connect with other VPONers and ask questions of our moderators)

Wow - Morgana! You did that on Sansfix?!?! I have a ton of the stuff here and I have never made anything on it that looked so beautiful! Great job - especially for a first pastel!

VPON wasn't my idea alone. It was actally a collaborative idea here in the Pastels forum. I am merely the one who took the next step to get it off the ground and running.

Lady_Morgana
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Yes Cori, Sansfix, i think i will get me more of that one, it worked really good and is not all that expensive (well not cheap either but still... ) The one i have is that you need to be extreme careful not to get it a bit damp or the sanded layer would come off, i saw there is on now that does not have that disadvantage, will need to find that.

I am now off to find me another easy reference in the RIL and try out how the mi-teintes does :D.

Bye
Morgana

Cheena K
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
This sounds so good! Can I join in? How?

scall0way
08-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Boy, these peppers are fabulous! I can't get over those from folks who had not used pastels before. You are all painting like masters. Sorry I missed the workshop! My PC that has my webcam attached is still dead, and the room it's in has no AC - so it's been beastly hot in there all summer, and I have not painted in there at all, or even tried to fix the PC (which needs a new fan).

I miss you all though. I hope as cooler weather rolls around I'll get more motivated.

khourianya
08-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes Cori, Sansfix, i think i will get me more of that one, it worked really good and is not all that expensive (well not cheap either but still... ) The one i have is that you need to be extreme careful not to get it a bit damp or the sanded layer would come off, i saw there is on now that does not have that disadvantage, will need to find that.

I am now off to find me another easy reference in the RIL and try out how the mi-teintes does :D.

Bye
Morgana

If it gets wet ithe sand comes off? odd. Mine isn't like that at all - mines really plasticy. Are you sure you aren't using senellier La Carte? That is a classic condition of that stuff!

and mi-tientes sucks :p

Cheena - you can join by clicking on the little icon in my signature line. It will take you to our forum.

Piper Ballou
08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I am not a fan of mi-tientes at all either...Mo, what ever you used yesterday worked for you, it is just amazing.....
piper

Pat Isaac
08-11-2006, 06:13 PM
What great peppers everyone! I haven't been to VPON for a long while. I don't have a web cam and I really got tied up with other things. Maybe someday, but I like looking at what you all do.

Pat

khourianya
08-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Ah - we'll still be around to welcome you in whenever you have time to join us again, Pat! :)

artgirl3571
08-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Piper i am addicted already my pepper turned out ok but i'll do better next time . MO your pepper turned out great ,you go girl lol, see yall soon and cori thanks for your help on vpon .

Lady_Morgana
08-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Cori: Yes i am sure i am not working on La Carte, i can not afford such luxory stuff :D. Honestly, there are two different Sansfix papers, the one would come off when getting wet, the other won't. I don't know what made me buy the "comeing-off" stuff. I will get the other one next time. For now i need to use up what i have left here, and there is no sansfix anymore :( :( so i will find out how other papers i have do work with pastels. The mi-teintes did not work at all for me, on to some ingress and other pastell i have and do not use for colored pencils.

Terry: You did so good with your pepper, hey it was your first ever try and it looks good! (Don't forget what you promised girl! :D ) See you soon on VPON.

Morgana

Morgana

khourianya
08-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Ahh - that's what it is - I didn't realize ere were 2 different kinds of snsfix from schmincke - guess it pays to live in germany. Is the tooth different on the "do not wet" sansfix? The other stuff is really rough and I have trouble getting it so there isn't bits of the ground showing through...it's really hard to cover.

prettytulips
08-12-2006, 11:44 AM
So, do I need a webcam to play along with you guys? I want to do the next one!!!

khourianya
08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
You don't need a webcam - you just need yahoo messenger - and that is free! After your first couple paintouts, though, you might find yourself wanting a webcam so you can show off your own work or demonstrate your own techniques when people ask. It certainly isn't necessary, though.

To see when the next paintouts and workshops are, you need to sign up at our forum (also free) and then you will be able to view the calendar we have over there!

Orchidacea
08-12-2006, 07:58 PM
This is really cool! Some wonderful work here! Great job, Piper and everyone. One of these days I will have to make time for VPON too.

DLJohnson
08-12-2006, 10:14 PM
WOW! THIS THREAD IS HOT!!! :wave:

I have a screenshot of everyone (almost) working on their peppers. This was an EXTREMELY FUN EVENT! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2006/7846-080806a.jpg

reisSUEd
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Joining in on the next session (today, better late than never), here's my version, a bit different shape after having to recover from some smudging after I jumped when the phone rang, but oh well, they come in all shapes and sizes anyways lol :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2006/66950-red_pepper.jpg Something about that yellow just won't photograph right, it's not that bright.

Lady_Morgana
08-14-2006, 10:48 PM
good work Sue, i already told you that, and i will tell it over and over again until you believe :D

Morgana

khourianya
08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Great work, Sue!

Oh I am so sad I had to miss part two. (Stupid end of vacation!) I am so looking forward to seeing what you all produced!!!

Piper Ballou
08-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Sue, your pepper is great...I am so glad you joined us and got a chance to try it.....
looking forward to seeing more...
piper

ponting
08-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Hello Piper

I just picked up your PM about this thread and here I am totally impressed with your teaching!! Thanks so much for the invitation to visit. I've been off painting at the cabin on Pender Island with my three sister-in-laws for the past week so am just getting caught up here. Will be checking out Vpon as soon as I can get my life straight.....well hopefully before that.....:lol:

Great show!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers, Dianna