PDA

View Full Version : The Traditional Celtic Cross on wood is finished

Merry Scribe
08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
We have finally finished the Traditional Celtic Cross knotwork on wood. We are please with how it turned out since it was something that we had never done before. We are hoping that everyone likes it as much. Please make any and all comments and suggestions you may have.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2006/75646-Celtic_Cross_Complete.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2006/75646-Celtic_Cross_enlargement.jpg

Blessed Be

Boyne Shark
08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
It looks amazing MS, I know how time consuming it is to draw knotwork on paper but I can't imagine what it's like to do this kind of thing on wood. Have you ever considered zoomorphic knotwork designs, similar to the those bordering some of Jim Fitzpatrick's paintings like the one here:

http://www.jimfitzpatrick.ie/gallery/streng.html

Or perhaps some of our national treasures like the Tara Brooch and the Ardagh Chalice. Does the wood need to be varnished or treated in any way after completion?

Merry Scribe
08-13-2006, 02:37 PM
It looks amazing MS, I know how time consuming it is to draw knotwork on paper but I can't imagine what it's like to do this kind of thing on wood. Have you ever considered zoomorphic knotwork designs, similar to the those bordering some of Jim Fitzpatrick's paintings like the one here:

Or perhaps some of our national treasures like the Tara Brooch and the Ardagh Chalice. Does the wood need to be varnished or treated in any way after completion?

It is a little more work doing knots on wood and it is alot more fun to me. I am going to trly the zoomorphic knots when I get better at these. I like doing them on wood because they are more challenging then on paper. Annie and I am trying to build up a stock so we can have a supply of crafts for the Ren Fairs in this area and craft fair. Starting in September. Annie works for a university and she showed our work to a couple of art instructors and they said that our work should be a big hit because they have never seen any one do celtic art on wood before and it would be a novelty.

thanks for the kind words Annie and I love any comments that would make our work better.

CPM
08-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Brian, Sorry I haven't commented sooner. This came out great. I like the knots in wood. Awesome job! - Chris

Merry Scribe
08-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Thank You very much Chris you know I respect you opinion very much. Annie and I have teamed together and we will pumping out a lot of Celtic Art on wood. I hope that you stick around and see our work progress.

Blessed Be

Merry Scribe
08-14-2006, 07:41 PM
wrong post.

TessDB
08-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Looks great, Brian!

Good luck with the craft/ren fairs. Your work should be a big hit.

Tess

Merry Scribe
08-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Looks great, Brian!

Good luck with the craft/ren fairs. Your work should be a big hit.

Tess

Thanks Tess that means alot to me coming from you.

Blessed Be