PDA

View Full Version : Another new one

judithdagostino
03-17-2002, 09:53 PM
I should say this is done on masonite board and gessoed with marble dust, zinc white powder and rabbit skin glue. It is 29.5" x 29.5"

Albert L.
03-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Leopoldo1
03-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Judith, very nice indeed! The simplistic nature of this work is it's strength......L

Leopoldo1
03-18-2002, 06:42 PM
judith,

thus: www.judithdagostino.com

judithdagostino
03-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Thank you Leopoldo! I will do that...

impressionist2
03-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Judith, Beautiful work! Serene.
Renee

judithdagostino
03-18-2002, 09:19 PM
Renee, I checked out your website and I love your figures!

http://www.judithdagostino.com

impressionist2
03-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Judith, Thanks so much. I finally have found the best of both worlds. The portrait commissions are bread and butter, and the figurative work is for any gallery and/or competition opportunities that may pop up.
Renee

Bendaini
03-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Absolutly beautiful. I had been thinking about trying some of that marble dust, or the other texturizing elements to miz in paint... Care to give us a close up of an area with that so that we can see what it does to the paint?

I do love the affect you have going with the clouds though....

judithdagostino
03-19-2002, 05:03 PM
I can't show you what it does because I don't mix it with my paint, it is part of the gesso mixture. What I can tell you is that when I finished coating my panels with the mixture and take it outside, the sun shines on it and creates the wonderful little sparkles. I can't explain what it does for the painting but it gives you a brilliant surface to work on and allows the paint to "glow" from behind. It is an old time method and time consuming but I love it and I find it much superior to acrylic gesso or even oil gesso. "Try it, you'll like it!" I have a few recipies if you would like to have them, I will post. I am sure there are several people here that do the same gesso. Thanks for your kind comment on the painting.

Judith

owens1299
03-19-2002, 11:16 PM
Wow... your painting is beautiful...

Originally posted by jdpainter
and gessoed with marble dust, zinc white powder and rabbit skin glue.

I have never heard of marble dust, zinc white powder, or rabbit skin glue... the only way my art profs taught us to gesso was out of a container of white stuff that you buy from an art store lol... how much of each item do you mix together? I would love to learn more about this... so please fill me in... thanks...

judithdagostino
03-20-2002, 11:03 AM
Dear Shannon, thank you for the very kind complement.

Yes, most art schools, unfortunately, don't teach much tradition about painting but I was lucky to have a course called "Materials and Techniques" that put us through the ringer but was well worth it. Eventually, I started painting with acrylic paint and using the acrylic gesso but now that I have time, I have returned to some more traditional techniques and I love them.

You can buy these products in most fine art supply stores or, you can get them through Daniel Smith....I am not sure you can get them through Dick Blick but you should check. I also find Sinopia (www.Sinopia.com) very good for this type of thing.

There are a variety of combinations but at the moment I am using 12 parts distilled water to 1 part rabbit skin glue. This is soaked overnight. Then I warm that on a double boiler to a temperature no higher than 135 degrees F. I then add 1/3 marble dust and 1/3 zinc whiting. Basically it comes out to 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3. Easy to remember. However, there are extensive messages regarding gesso on a board here...I think it is under oil painting and in the area of top picks....I don't know what it is called at the moment but there is lots of help there and in fact, I am going to try some of their recipies to figure out the one I like the most.

After you mix this recipy together, let it stand for a half hour before using. There is also a book you can get on the subject. I refer to it often...easy to read, not like some. It is called: "Formulas for Painters" by Robert Massey.

The gesso is more difficult to apply than acrylic but once you get the hang of it it will be easy. My formula requires sanding to make it really smooth but I understand there are other formulas that don't require it. I guess it depends on how smooth you want your surface. I do suggest the book, which comes in paperback and is put out by Watson Guptill. It will clear things up for you.

Judith