PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Aug 7 Thru 13

K Taylor-Green
08-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Morning everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread. This is where we share what's going on in our lives and get to know each other.

I have been in a lot of exhibitions and shows over the years, but this is the first time I have been in an all pastel show! My work will be hanging all this month at the High Road Gallery, in Worthington, Ohio, a northern part of Columbus. Yesterday was the opening reception and I met some wonderful pastel artists and gazed upon some beautiful pastel work.

Sandy Reddig was co-chair for this exhibit, and she talked to me about starting a pastel society in our area! Several of the Columbus pastel artists are interested in this and some preliminary meetings have taken place. She and I have agreed to correspond on this. I very much want to be involved.

Artistammy
08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
That sounds exciting to be in the show & have a new pastel society. I don't think there's any interest in an group here.
I'm still painting a room....priming actually. My aunt can paint a room in a day. I wonder how many weeks it's going to take me? :rolleyes: I'm going to try to paint all day today...hopefully I'll get alot done.
Tammy

bogbeast
08-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Kate, congrats on the show, and how much fun to get a pastel society going in your area! I haven't gotten active in the nearest one yet--maybe when I can get back to painting more.

I'm grabbing minutes during naps--Olivia woke up at 4 this morning and never went back to sleep:( . yes, she is very definitely a toddler, lots of energy and attitude, although she is a sweet kid. She is adjusting very well to having an interloper in the house, all things considered. whoever wanted to see pictures of them, I posted some in last weeks scumble last night.

I am almost to counting the days until September--my partner will finally be done with her year-long chaplain-in-training stint, and back to classwork for 9 months. No more overnight on-call! and maybe even a couple hours a week for me to paint again, sans kids. Plus, Olivia will be starting preschool in the mornings--she needs more socializing with other kids, and we hope that being around children will encourage her to talk more. Most of what we get now are byebye and animal sounds. In particular, I really wish she would tell us when she is hungry or thirsty, and of course I'd love to hear her say Mama in some form... We know she CAN talk, and she isn't autistic thank God, but I guess she doesn't see the need. Doting mothers, I suppose.

Have a good week, all--I hope the heat has broken for most of you!

Libby

skintone
08-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Kate- That sounds awesome.

Janelle and I went to Charleston, South Carolina this past weekend. I will never complain of the heat here again. And the humidity. When I got out of the car there it felt like I was getting out of the shower. I was soaked instantly. So we had our first baby shower. Got lots of stuff. Won't have to buy diapers for a while. :D

Only 10 more weeks. I can't wait. She can't get comfortable, and I can't do anything for her, except to get her more ice cream.

binkie
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Kate, Congrats on your exhibit!! That's fantastic to be involved in the beginning of a new group.

Tammy, you'll have to post pics when you're finished painting. Had to laugh at your painting time frame because it took hubby and me 4 weeks to paint the bedroom.

Libby, toddlers are so precious but definitely can be a handful. Hope preschool helps with the talking.

Skintone, Know what you mean about the humidity. It's miserable. Keep the ice creaming coming. Have you tried a foot massage?

binkie

Deborah Secor
08-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Oh I know how your wife feels, skintone! I had my baby in July. At least we don't have humidity here, but we made one very, very long hot trip to Austin TX to do an art fair in May that year. I found out the meaning of the word 'swollen', primarily in the ankle region. I sat like a beached whale with my feet in a cooler full of ice. It helped some...

Kate, I hope the society becomes a reality! It is nice to have a group of folks working together on a goal like that. Enjoy! Speaking of societies, we had our opening reception at The Albuquerque Museum for the PSNM Signature Members show. I was at church all day, but ducked over for the last hour of the reception--I didn't have my camera, however. When I get some pix I'll post a link. It was pretty nice to see all that beautiful work, and to be a part of it. :D

We finally have our summer monsoons! It's been so lovely and rainy. I love waking up in the night to find the curtains billowing and hear the sound of the thunder coming nearer. That smell is absolutely HEAVENLY. I can't think of a better smelling purfume. Then the spatters become a torrent and I have to close the windows... mmmmmmmmm, delightful!

Congratulate us, today my husband and I celebrate 20 years of marriage! We had a nice Chinese dinner. We speculated on whether 20 years was the aluminum foil year, or styrofoam, but then decided it was the Chinese year... tasty food, fast, nearby, and not terribly expensive, plus easy on the digestion (if you don't ingest those tiny little red Pequin chilies--which he did...)

Have a great week of shows, house painting, babies, pasteling, etc...

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Kate, where's the photos? You know how we all like to be voyeurs and enjoy your happiness from afar!

Heat and being pregnant - yuck - just about the worst. I had my eldest in August and was miserable all summer. Not too long now and it will all be worth it. No sleep, messy diapers - :):):)

We are continuing our search for a camper - our only way to take an affordable vacation in our retirement years. Even with the gas prices the way they are, still way better than $90.00+ a night for a hotel. Let's see, whose backyard can we park in, eh????? :):):)

bogbeast
08-08-2006, 01:06 AM
ugh, pregnant in the summer! I had my son in late September in Galveston, Texas--a sand bar off the coast near Houston, where summer lasts 9-10 months and the temps are 85 at night with 95 % humidity! YUCK! I have a dreadful picture of me mowing the lawn (my husband had convenient grass allergies) with the non-motorized type mower in a 2-piece suit---all you can see is belly! But it was really just too hot to wear clothes.

Dot Hoffman
08-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Like some of the rest of you, we are exploring possible retirement places. St. Louis has a lot to offer, but the summers are so-o-o-o hot and humid and the last month has been sheer awful! So, we took off this week for Asheville, NC. It's beautiful, and the weather is hotter than usual of so the natives tell us, but it's still a lot cooler and more comfortable than STL. But, oh my, the home prices are out of sight!!! Guess this won't be on our final list, unless someone knows a secret to finding affordable housing that we don't know about.

Dee, Albuquerque is also on our list of possibles. Can you give us some direction as to where to find out what it's really like? You could send a PM. Anybody else have any ideas? MN is too cold for too long, and I don't think our arthritis will tolerate that either.

Meantime, we are heading out today to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, camera at the ready! :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi Dot - we also explored Asheville as a final destination, but you are right, the housing prices are very high. We also looked at Hendersonville (south of Asheville) - a bit better and not that far away from the art scene in Asheville.

You might try looking at some of the small towns in the mountains of NC - although driving could be tricky in the winter. Let us know if you find a great place to retire - we sure haven't found it!

Enjoy the Blue Ridge - a nice leisurely drive if folks would just slow down and enjoy it.

Tressa
08-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Dot, I have family in Asheville, and there are nice places for reasonable prices, you just gotta look...Have you tried the Brevard area...and my daughter lives in Fletcher, a suburb of Asheville...PM me if you want more info..my sister has a lot of contacts, and she might know of some nice places that are up for sale... there is also some wonderful workshops and classes held there...
Enjoy the parkway, and it is MUCH cooler up there than in the valley, if you pass an intersection for rte 215, wave to my Mom:D :wave:
Tres

K Taylor-Green
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Retirements and summer babies! Way over the last and not ready for the first!
My youngest was born in August, during the worst heatwave I can remember before or since.

Awww Kat! I didn't take a camera! I'll see what I can do later in the month, as I will be doing a halfday of work there. All artists are encouraged to do so in shows at this gallery. There is even a place for us to work on a paintng. Seems potential customers just love to see working artists!
And girl, you can set up in MY backyard anytime!

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2006, 10:38 AM
LOL - it would be so cool to visit with artists on the forum - paint and play!

I tell ya - this retirement thing has been dragging on me for at least the last 10 years. I am (and John is too) a northern gal in a southern climate and it is NOT working. That's why I thought the mountains of NC would be better climate-wise, but the winters could be a bear. So I thought we could cozy up like a couple of bears in a den - stock the woodpile and the food and not worry about driving on bad roads (been there, done that). Still a consideration if the housing prices were not so high.

skintone
08-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Dot,

I agree with Kat. Hendersonville is a nice area right outside of Asheville. My sister-in-law just moved there from Virginia. She bought a 2000sq ft log home for the same price as her 1400sq ft townhome in Va. I think the weather is a little milder than Asheville. Plus you'll love being so close to the Blue Ridge. Janelle and I are going to Brevard this weekend. I've never been there before, and I'll definitately take my camera.

PeggyB
08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
What an interesting week everyone is having. From babies to retirement to wedding anniversaries to pastel societies.

I would skip the baby story, but my experiences are so different than many others. My oldest was born in southern Ohio the first part of July in a year that blessedly wasn't too hot - yet - and he was almost 4 weeks early so I never had that last month of swollen ankles or extreme discomfort even though he weighed 6lb 6 oz. Then the twins were born in central Louisana 23 month later in early June, and believe me I did feel every single moment of that pregnancy, but "lucky" me they were almost 7 weeks early, weighing about 4 1/2 # apiece, but in otherwise perfect health. So Skintone, keep the ice cream flowing. You sound like a caring, involved husband.

Kate, how exciting for you to be involved in the formation of a pastel society. Been there done that (as has Deborah) and I wish you all the best of times.

Tammy, I know there isn't a society in Lubbock (I also lived there for a year when my husband was in pilot training). However, there is the Lonestar Pastel Society out of Amarillo, and it seems like a very nice, active group of people. I know several of them. You can find their contact information on the IAPS website if you don't already have it.

CONGRATULATION Deborah and Dan. Twenty years is a good long time to be together. I like your choice of dinners too. Chinese is one of my favorites.

As for retire - My husband is thinking of doing so in the next 3 years, and we have no real idea of where to go that would be any less expensive that we want to live. We'll probably stay in the NW, but move out of King County (Seattle area) as it is the most expensive and over crowded place in the whole state. Generally speaking, the weather is moderate year around, and one important consideration as we age is there are plenty of really good hospitals within quick driving distance of most places we would chose to live. I do miss the sun, but we can always go south in the winter for long periods of time.

My own good news this week is I received confirmation yesterday that a painting was accepted by Frank Federico into the Pastel Society of Oregon Open Competition. That and the IAPS competition are the only two I've entered this year. I'm tired of paying high shipping expenses to ship to the big shows in the east. This painting was done on a whim in a more "primitive" style. My cat Murphy was the model, but the rest of it is out of my head.
Not So Camouflaged Watch Cat:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2006/68149-Murphy_2_email.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2006/68149-Close_up.jpg

This is a full sheet of Art Spectrum, mostly Unison and Great American. Now I have to decide how to frame it - with or without a mat... hmmm, still thinking about it and the need to ship it to Roseburg OR...

Peggy

Dot Hoffman
08-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Peg, I am in awe of all you have accomplished! Way to go!

As to retirement, and Asheville, thanks to all of you who replied.Today we drove east on the Blue Ridge Parkway till about 11:30; omigosh, how breathtaking!!! Not a whole lot of traffic, and the weather was so cool up on the ridges.

Tomorrow is our last full day here, and then we head back to St. Louis Thursday a.m. We plan to check out Hendersonville tomorrow, and will have to look for Brevard and Fletcher. Spent some time today at the Asheville Gallery of Art, talking to the artist who was "manning" the gallery for the day. (It's a coop). Very nice artwork!!! Somehow DH and I always try to fit too much in to too short of a timeframe. Today I just couldn't anymore after 3 p.m., so headed back for a snappy nap and washing a couple loads of clothes at the hotel. Tonight we'll go out for dinner at Tupelo Honey, which we have been told is very good food. Hope so. We've been really fortunate so far, and had good food virtually every meal.

Off to research Brevard and Fletcher. Thanks again for the input. I wish we had more time to explore.

Orchidacea
08-08-2006, 05:50 PM
It's nice to hear what folks have been up to! I haven't been around WC a whole lot, so I enjoy catching up. My son just finished his six weeks with me this summer. (He lives with his father about 8 hours away from here.) He's nearly 14 and an absolute pleasure to be around! The culmination of our summer was a camping trip to Niagara Falls, Canada (it's nearby). We had a blast!! You can see some of my photos of the trip here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimdenise/sets/72157594222885850/).

You can see my portrait of him here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363691). Just keep in mind that I don't paint portraits, LOL. Deborah, if you're going to try and get Barb to do a portrait workshop, let me know. I'll sign up too (and I'll help you harrass her into doing, it, LOL).

I just shipped a painting to the Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod show (that's a mouthful!) and have another going to the Connecticut Pastel Society next month. Peggy, I know what you mean about the shipping--it's bad enough shipping around the East Coast, much less going to the opposite coast!

BTW, I like this naive thing you're adding to your work, Peggy. Adds some potent visual interest. Made me do a double take!

Nothing exciting on my plate for the moment--I'm just planning to paint my brains out for the rest of the summer, LOL.

Kat, your camper is welcome in my backyard.

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Kim - I would enjoy that too! - I love upstate NY (a native) and miss it terribly during these awful summer months here.

Khadres
08-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Peg, I am in awe of all you have accomplished! Way to go!

As to retirement, ....

For those who don't mind the southeast part of the country, a truly beautiful little known place to live is where my folks had their last home. It's a small town in the very upper western corner of Georgia....about twenty minutes south of Chattanooga, at the bottom of Lookout Mtn. Trenton is a very small town, chock full of nice people, and housing is amazingly cheap there when compared to surrounding communities. My folks sold their twenty year old, well-kept 2400 sq ft. home on half an acre (beautiful garden land!) for $63k! Everyone thought that was a HIGH price at the time! Couldn't believe it.

Lots to see and paint nearby too and the summers, while hot, are somewhat color due to the mountains. Winters are fairly benign as well. Hardly ever snows and little icing.

Worth a check out.

bnoonan
08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi Everyone!

What a treat to be able to find a few minutes to drop into WC and see what is new with everyone. I admit I'm more interested in all of you than the paintings at this particular time - but I got a bonus to see Peggy's cat.

Libby - how do you do it? Life sounds very very busy!!!

Dee - congrats. Any meal you don't have to cook yourself is a celebration.

Kate - best of luck on your pastel society pursuits. I love the associations I've had with groups.

Kat - from all I hear about NC it's supposed to be the ideal retirement location.

Kim - your son is a cutie. Was that me you were referring to? What are the odds since I just happened to drop into this particular thread and haven't signed on for a long time.

Hi Sooz and all the rest of you who I have gotten to know here and there and lost track of.

I'm in the opposite of retirement now. I'm back in the work force and it's making for an unhappy painter:( The money is good but the lack of creativity in my daily projects is disappointing and reminds me how much I look forward to painting more. There is also the balancing act of my art studio. It's located in Pioneer Square (Seattle) and although I have several hundred visitors each month (First Thursday's art walk 5-9pm) it's not leading to sales. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will however continue to lead to commissions.

All that said - it's sure nice to have a place to work and also a place to hang your artwork where you can hear feedback on what you've accomplished. Most of my portraits are in the current show and I have a piece on the easel that needs some more attention.

Hmm... Guess I'll just stop babbling and go look at what everyone is painting. I have missed this fabulous friendly world of color and fun!

Barb
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Barb, I've missed you!!! and your wonderful portraits. Hang in there - life brings surprises.

Sooz, that little town sounds interesting - will have to do a google on it. :)

Tressa
08-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Peggy...Congrats again, and well deserved!!!

We got some great news last night, and a bit of a surprise!!! My older daughter called to tell us that as of about 20 mins before, they were preggers!!:lol: This is the kid who said all thru her teens she would NEVER have kids:rolleyes: They were very excited, and had to call us, as the hpt came up positive...We wondered if they would ever decide to have kids, but had never mentioned it, as did not want to sound pushy:wink2: also did not know how long they might wait as they are both VERY career oriented...but she sounds very happy, and was already making noises about we needed to be closer in distance since she was now having a baby:lol: ....
It was funny to hear her say goodbye Nana when we hung up the phone
:lol: :lol:
Tres

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Tressa's going to be a Grandma!!! Congrats.

Your kids sounds like my two - very career oriented and I have not heard a peep about having kids either. I am with you - no pressure - if they don't want 'em, I'm not gonna place any guilt on them.

Pat Isaac
08-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Just popping in here for a hi to all.
Tressa, congrats on soon becoming a grandma....nothing like it.
Kim, I really enjoyed your camping pictures and a very nice portrait of your son. I really hope to get to the Cape Cod Show as friends of mine are in it.
Barb, good to hear from you and the gallery art walk sounds like a nice thing to have and even though sales aren't big, it's always exposure.
I have a portrait commission to finsih by the end of the month, so will be very busy for awhile.
Have a nice day everyone.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Barb! Hey, so good to see you!:clap: It's been a while.

Congrats, Tres!! YOO HOO, a grandbaby! Nothin like em! I have 10!:smug:

Peggy, love that cat!

Kim Sounds like a really great trip!

Orchidacea
08-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks, everyone, the trip was great! Congrats to Tressa! Kat, I had forgotten you were a western New Yorker. After living away for nearly twenty years in a lot of beautiful places, I can still say I love it here.

Yes, Barb, that was you I was talking about! I had two different threads mixed up--your name came up in the thread about workshops we'd like to take, and I thought that was a great idea.

Funny you should pop in here now--I haven't posted here in months either! Your studio is gorgeous--I sure hope life slows down a bit so you have more time to enjoy it!

scall0way
08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Wow, so much going on around here! I've hardly had a chance to check in lately, yet not really sure what's keeping me so busy. I know the awful heat has been keeping me away from painting. One more week and I get to head up to New Brunswick, Canada for my annual vacation. Just my daughter-in-law is going with me this year. My son just started a new job in June, is working long hours, can't get away. But he "commissioned" me to do a painting of the New Brunswick farm for him. :)

I have to comment on some of the comments though:

- Tres, how wonderful about your daugther! I hope it may be be making that announcement soon. My son and his wife had their 5th anniversary in June.
*She's* been ready for a baby since the day after the wedding. He's the one who held back although he loves kids and is great with them. But now that he is out of law school and has a good job it might happen soon. :)

- Kate, cool about the pastel society. Wish there was one in my area. I'd need someone more knowledgeable to spearhead the effort, but I'b be happy to be involved. I just don't know any other artists! Not to mention pastel artists.

- Libby, how old is Olivia? My son was a late talker. Never said a single word until a few weeks before his second birthday. My sister was sure he was deaf and would sneak up behind him and bang pots behind his head, and he would IGNORE her! "See! He's deaf!" she shouted, but I had seen plenty of signs that his hearing was fine, and once he began talking you could not shut him up, and now he's a lawyer, :lol:. He was a September baby too, so I know all about hot summers and pregnancy. ;)

- Asheville. Yup, that is a lovely area. I used to own a house in Saluda, NC, which is about 20 minutes south of Hendersonville. A small little house with a lovely view of the Blue Ridge mountains, and it had its own *workshop* right on the property! My sister and brother-in-law lived there for a few years, and he used it make his custom furniture. After they moved I rented it to his brother for a while, who is a potter and used the workshop as his pottery. Would you believe I sold that house for $42,000? And the new owners knocked the workshop down? What a great studio it would have made.

I love NC - but if I could retire where I wanted it would be Maine. Then again I have family in NC, and don't know anyone in Maine. Not to mention son and DiL (and future grandkids?) seem ensconced in NJ now. Oh well,decisions, decisions - not for a while yet at least.

Dot Hoffman
08-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Well, we're back home safe and sound, and it sure is humid in St. Louis compared to Asheville :).

Tressa, thanks for the tips about Brevard and Fletcher. Brevard is a really nice town, but it is now very expensive, too. Nothing available under mid $400's and that's nothing fancy; just a small house. Prices rise by as much as $100,000 each year, or so we were told.:eek: Nice, I guess, if you already own but not so nice if you want to buy.

We did find some nice affordable (mid $200's) new housing in Fletcher, and it's close enough to Asheville to be really workable. But, we haven't made up our minds yet. St. Louis is nice and has everything we need -- except for the awful hot muggy summers.:( We are considering several options, including selling our house and buying a villa/condo so we don't have to be concerned about yard work, and then going to a cooler climate -- such as Asheville or northern Wisconsin/Minnesota -- for July and August and renting for those two months; taking the cats along with us. It'll be a year or more before we make a final decision. Meantime, I guess we'll look at villas in our area since it's so convenient to everything. Oh woe, wish this were simpler :lol: .

meowmeow
08-12-2006, 02:16 PM
So much stuff going on areound here...and most of it good! Not sure I can remember everything! COngrats to Kate on the show...a local pastel society sounds terrific!
Congrats to Deborah and hubby on your anniversary!
It's great to see Olivia and Barb here! I know I am not around much at all but they are hardly ever here....you both sound busy but well. Olivia sounds like she is doing fine...I'm sure the yakking will come with time. Kids develop at their own sweet pace.
Congrats Tressa...yep...grandparenthood is great fun!
You can always land in our Maine yard, Kat!
The retirement discussion is interesting. We are planning on endng up here in Maine...it is cold int he winter but not really more than Massachusetts. And we have found that they clear the roads much better and much more quickly. And it's so beautiful. I don't paint all the time but it is much more conducive to art I dfind.
Hmmmm....I am sure I missed some important things but I don't have time to go back over all the posts. Just good to see everyone and see what you are all up to!

Sandy

meowmeow
08-12-2006, 02:18 PM
I know there were 2 I wanted to congratulate and missed! Peggy...what a wonderful painting! I love it.
And Kim, you sound so busy and you have obviously wormed your way into some good shows! Good for you! I'm not surprised...your work is terrific!

Sandy

pequan
08-13-2006, 05:00 PM
I didn't realize there was a chat room here... I love it....Congrats to Kate that is wonderful news....All of you fellow NY Transplants, welcome to my world... I live in the retirement capital of the world....well no, not Florida, but the coast of NC.... It is a fabulous place to retire to, if you love the water..... You can't live here if you have to make a living...Our children live in Charlotte which is a super city, and you CAN earn a living there.. I don't remember who posted about a pastel society. Here in eastern NC, a group of us got together and formed the Coastal Pastel Society of NC..We started with 14 people, all of whom were in the same "class" together. We will be meeting every 3 months with guest speakers and the likes of which. We now have 31members!!! And, have only had one open to the public meeting.... It is amazing how many pastelists are out there and want to get our medium recognized.. Hope to chat with y'all again soon... Linda/aka Pequan

Kathryn Wilson
08-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Linda! Hello from Raleigh - :) Where on the coast are you at? I would love some info on your new society - can you PM me?

Orchidacea
08-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks, Sandy....it's nice to "see" you. I was wondering what you were up to!