PDA

View Full Version : If you could attend one workshop

watergirl
08-07-2006, 03:20 AM
anywhere/with anyone where/who would it be? :):):)

Alessandra Rosi
08-07-2006, 05:20 AM
oh, this is going to be a very interesting thread, full of infos about great artists and their workshops!
My favourite ever master artist is called Claude Texier, she lives in France and she gives workshops; she does absolutely super wonderful work, and I dream to be able to learn her style and technique...just dream! Unfortunately, I cannot find her website link, but if you search with her name, it will appear.. it's worth searching, believe me!
Of course, if the great Dianne Pointing ever came to Italy teaching, I would run to participate to her workshop also!!!
Well, I think tese are my choices!
Alessandra

Tressa
08-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I would love to have a workshop with Robert Genn...I think he is a wonderful artist, and has so much knowledge to pass along..although if I went outside pastels, it would HAVE TO BE David Laffel...a MASTER....in modern times...
Tres

Shari
08-07-2006, 12:09 PM
My favourite ever master artist is called Claude Texier, she lives in France and she gives workshops; she does absolutely super wonderful work, and I dream to be able to learn her style and technique...just dream! Unfortunately, I cannot find her website link, but if you search with her name, it will appear.. it's worth searching, believe me!

Alessandra

Alessandra,

I totally agree with you, I have long adored Claude Texier's work, she is a master and I love her subject matter; it is dear to my heart. I have copied some of her works for practice. If I ever get up the courage to do another workshop, it will be with Richard McKinley or Susan Ogilvie, as they are in my neck of the woods. I particularly love Susan Ogilvie's use of bold color. I think, though, one of my absolute favorites is Elizabeth Mowry and if she ever teaches again and comes out this way, I would try to go. I guess she doesn't teach right now, but she is fabulous.

khourianya
08-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I think it is a tie between Dianna Ponting and Alan Flattmann. I've been trying to make a ponting workshop for almost 2 years now! Eventually I will just have to get her to come here and find several willing victims to attend with me. I almost got to attend a flattmann workshop near here last year, but too many people pulled out at the last moment and the workshop ended up being cancelled. I was soo disappointed (still am) but perhaps I will head to Lousiana one of these years and learn from the master.

Paula Ford
08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
It would have to be Elizabeth Mowry. She's my idol!

Paula

Bringer
08-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi,

mmmm.....mmmmm.....probably Richard Schmid.
David Laffel, Daniel Greene, Dianna Ponting and Greg Kreutz are also great choices.

Kind regards,

Josť

PeggyB
08-07-2006, 05:16 PM
I've had the honor of taking workshops from several of the greats, and seen demonstration by many others thanks to attendance at the IAPS conventions. In all these years of having done so, I think I've learned that it is important for me to see many different people paint to get an idea of their approach to painting. Although I admire many painters, I don't "need" a workshop from someone who's style & technique is nothing like I do or want to learn. After that, I try to find out from someone who has actually taken a workshop from someone I'm considering if that person can actually teach! Not everyone who is conducting workshops is a good or caring teacher. Some of them don't even really want you to know "how" they paint for fear of reproducing people who not only paint as they do, but actually become better than they are!

I know many WC members are still in the learning what style they want to paint category so taking workshops from many different people may be helpful - it can also be very frustrating! For instance - and I'm not picking on you Cori - Cori would like to take from both Dianna Ponting and Alan Flattmann - both masters at their techniques and drastically different styles. Although I've not taken from Dianna, I have seen her great on line wip demos. I have taken from Alan, and he is a supurb teacher as well as painter, but different as night from day from Dianna in the approach and final product. I know when I was first started learning pastels, I did take from two drastically different "masters", and became confused and frustrated trying to combine what I'd learned from each of them. I'm not saying others would have this problem, but be aware that it can happen.

There are many excellent teachers of pastel in the world - many who don't have international names. I always tell my beginning and beginning intermediate students to take classes and workshops from as many people as they can find to do so because there are about as many approaches to painting with pastel as there are people teaching it. Do your "homework" to learn about the teacher, and then decide based upon full knowledge if it is someone you can learn from or someone more interested in taking your money and leaving you wondering just what in the world are you doing with all those sticks of pastel!

As you advance, you might also consider concentrating on just one aspect at a time to learn something new about. For instance:
Can you learn something about how a particular person creates those wonderful compositions?
How about the application & knowledge of color?
Or the particular technique of applying the pastel?
Their approach to portiature?
You may find not many teachers know as much about all of these issues as others do. Some are stronger in one than they are in another. WC is a good way to communicate your experience in a workshop so others may benefit from your experience. However, not all of us are at the same level of understanding so what may have worked well for one person might not for another.

Tough to work through? You bet! So I too am looking forward to reading more on this thread.

Oh yah - some of my favorites in no particular order of those workshops I've actually taken & why I liked them:

Frank Federico - excellent at communication with all levels of student. Master of color application, drawing skills, and design. Great sense of humor too. Very sharing with everything he knows - PSA Master Pastelist and IAPS Master Circle. Experssionistic painting style with hints of Impressionism

Alan Flattmann - ditto what I wrote above, but a more subdued palette and completely different approach to application of pastel to paper. More impressionistic style. PSA Master Pastelist.

Lorenzo Chavez - also very giving and sharing, good communicator. Good sense of humor. Strong composition knowledge. Very well organized in presentation at workshops. He does only plein air workshops, and is best known in the western US.

Willian Herring - better for more advanced students as he's very opinionated, but an excellent instructor. Very strong design and color skills. Challenges & pushes the students to go beyond their comfort level. Gives freely of his knowledge. Former president of Knickerbocker Artists and PSA signature. He's become a bit reclusive, but I think he still teaches a master class at Cloudcroft NM.

There may be more I've admired, but they aren't coming to mind. I know there are more I've taken from and was disappointed in. If you have a question about whether or not I've taken from someone, and what my experience might have been, feel free to pm and I'll tell you.

One I'd like to take from is Richard McKinley - I registered too late for his latest session in Mt Vernon this year! I understand anyone who does take his workshops has to be prepared for a full day of intense work - from dawn to dusk - quite literally!

Peggy

Merethe T
08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Ah, great subject! The only pastel-workshop I'm able to join where I live are in my dreams, so for now I really enjoy these threads of different workshops, the pics, work and storys you share. Someday I'm gonna make it happen and actually participate myself though...

For me right now, I'd love to go to a Dianna Ponting-workshop, her subjects, style and approach really appeals to me. Elisabeth Mowry would be good too...hmmm, and Lesley Harrison, I'd love that too.....

Kathryn Wilson
08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm taking a workshop with Bob Rohm - this will be my first real workshop, so I am looking forward to it.

If I could get her to come east, it would be dee_artist.

Mowry, McDaniel, Ludwig, Handel come to mind also.

K Taylor-Green
08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Oh dear, choices, choices. Harley Brown, cause I want to do more portraits, and improve in that area. He is my favorite pastel portrait artist!

Deborah Secor
08-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Anyone? Anywhere?

Monet. I don't need to talk--just be the fly on the canvas on a day he worked on the waterlilies...in the studio seeing how he used the looooong brush to make those huge canvasses. Or with Degas as he sketched in the wings at the theater, watching how he started a painting, what layers he laid down. Did he work fast? Slowly? What did he mix for fixative! I also think it would be most instructive to be beside Dominique Sennelier as he sat on his father's lap watching him help choose colors for Monet. Color theory class.

Lately I've been toying with learning to paint faces. I need a lot of preliminary work first, but then I want to work with someone that I admire. I think maybe Kitty Wallis. Or maybe Nancy MacDonald, though I don't know if she teaches. Maybe Barb Noonan! I just don't know yet... Definitely somebody who paints the way I want to paint, using color, gesture, line, energy, yet somehow nailing the anatomy and achieving the genuine likeness of the subject.

Great thread, Molly... :D

Deborah

David Patterson
08-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I tend to agree with what Peggy wrote above - "Although I admire many painters, I don't "need" a workshop from someone who's style & technique is nothing like I do or want to learn."

I have yet to take a workshop, but high on my "want list" are the following artists: Michael McKee, Susan Ogilvie, Elizabeth Mowry, and Richard McKinley.

Great thread!

David

Shari
08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I seem to be afraid of taking a workshop because it takes me forever to do a painting. I have to walk away from it and then get back to it and it takes me many days to complete one. I can't see how that would work in a workshop setting. Also, I take about an hour just to do my preliminary sketch. I know I am way tooo slow but how does one get around this issue when taking a workshop. Do I just have to get over it?

bluefish
08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
It would be with a 'IAPS Master Circle Medallion' winner! :wink2:

:evil: 'bluefish' ..................:wave:

PeggyB
08-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I seem to be afraid of taking a workshop because it takes me forever to do a painting. I have to walk away from it and then get back to it and it takes me many days to complete one. I can't see how that would work in a workshop setting. Also, I take about an hour just to do my preliminary sketch. I know I am way tooo slow but how does one get around this issue when taking a workshop. Do I just have to get over it?

Only if you want to get over it. Part of a good workshop is seeing the demonstration by the instructor. You can learn a lot just by watching, and then taking a part of what they show to try for yourself. Of course some are easier to work with this way than others. Another thing you'll learn is you aren't the only one who feels intimidated or works slowly. Dip your toes gently into the water sometime, and the next one will be easier. I highly suspect Deborah would be a great instructor for you.

Peggy

Khadres
08-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I'd give my eye teeth to have a class with Lorenzo Chavez! His work is wonderful. I think both Kitty and Dee would be fun too. Oh, shoot, I'd take ANY class with ANY of the really good artists out there and there are so many. Just none around here. sighhhhhh

Shari
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks Peggy, I feel better!!! I would love to take a class with Debororah because I feel it would be very supportive. I get so much great info here from everyone, especially Deb. I am so grateful for Wetcanvas and all the wonderful contributors here. Deb, when is your next workshop and when are you coming out west?

Pat Isaac
08-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Being an oil pastel artist, there are hardly any workshops for this medium in my area. I'd also give my eye teeth for a workshop with Susan Bennerstrom, or Marilyn Brandenberger.

Pat

Orchidacea
08-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Oh Pat, Susan Bennerstrom's work is to die for! I just googled on Marilyn Brandenberger and couldn't find anything. Do you have any links?

Pat Isaac
08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
It might have helped to spell her last name correctly....duh
Here is the link http://www.brandenburgerstudios.com./

Great stuff.

Pat

Orchidacea
08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I have a question: Terry Ludwig is giving a workshop here in town this fall. Ordinarily, I would JUMP on it...but the subject is plein air landscapes, and I just don't do plein air or landscapes. Should I sign up anyhow? I imagine I would learn a lot...but it is a lot of money for me, so I'd love some words of advice here!

Orchidacea
08-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Pat. WOW! I hadn't seen her work before! I'm inspired.

Pat Isaac
08-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, for what it is worth, I don't do plein air or landscapes and I wouldn't do it. I am not sure how much I would learn as it is not something I am interested in and don't really see myself doing it in the near future. I know you can always learn something, but this is not where I am right now. So, my thoughts on the subject.
Marilyn has some gorgeous work.

Pat

prettytulips
08-09-2006, 09:20 PM
[url]http://www.ctexier.com/welcome.htm

For me it's Daeni Pino... I just love his paintings, beautiful everything.... Very good at painting women.
www.pino-artist.com

Piper Ballou
08-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Well, I had my dream workshop this summer with Dianna Ponting, it was my first workshop and I loved every minute of it.
And I suppose if Leslie Harrison was doing workshops I would like to take one of hers.
I also would like to take one from Deborah (deeartist) I like her style of landscapes a lot....
piper

Karen Margulis
08-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I had workshops with Terry Ludwig and Albert Handell this past spring so I am taking a break for awhile and let it all sink in. I've takem workshops with Marsha Savage and she is a wonderful teacher. She highly recommends Bob Rohm. I am looking into a workshop with Susan Ogilvie for next summer.

Kim....On my workshop with Terry, we had some bad weather and ended up inside doing still lifes! He is very generous with his knowledge and a lot of fun!

Karen

Bringer
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
[url]http://www.ctexier.com/welcome.htm

For me it's Daeni Pino... I just love his paintings, beautiful everything.... Very good at painting women.
www.pino-artist.com

Hi,

Did you know that his work is being duplicated by chinese ?
The gallery that represents him, knows about it.
They say there's little they can do about it.

Kind regards,

Josť

Orchidacea
08-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Kim....On my workshop with Terry, we had some bad weather and ended up inside doing still lifes! He is very generous with his knowledge and a lot of fun!
hmmmm, now there's an idea...sign up for a PA workshop and hope for rain!! LOL!

James or Jimmy Jim
08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
My dream would be to attend a workshop with Albert Handell ... and it would be nice if Richard Schmid showed up and painted with us. :)

I'm happy to say I just booked the week-long workshop with Albert Handell, followed by an extra day paintout with Albert, Richard Schmid, his wife Nancy Guzik and the Putney painters.

Pinch. :D

watergirl
08-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Okay everyone! Great comments! I have been very lucky to have had a workshop with Greg Biolchini and totally enjoyed his style and relaxed attitude. It was for portraits and I would love to do a landscape workshop next. I also love the idea of Dee's painting at night workshops. I want to loosen up my style so would probably benefit from Alan Flatmann and Kitty Wallis also (should be free from Kitty since I mostly use her paper :):):)LOL).
D. Ponting does incredibly precise and beautiful paintings. You know what is the best though is that we get the experience of all of the above and many more just from looking at Wetcanvas members' paintings. So maybe I will just spend that $$$$ on a Hawaii vacation, or Greece, or New Zealand....:)

nvcricket
02-19-2009, 02:29 AM
I have been dreaming of going to a workshop, I stumbled across this thread and thought I'd resurrect it again. Now would be a good time for people to consider taking a workshop to enhance their growth in pastels. This thread starter was If you could take a workshop with anyone, anywhere in the world.

I would love to take a workshop with Edgar Payne in New Zealand, I'd even go back to his era.....nope on second thought he'd have to join the present time. Too many modern conveniences, could you imagine how long it would take to get there by boat?

Carol

CM Neidhofer
02-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I am going to Dianna Ponting's workshop here in Littleton, CO, at Terry Ludwig's shop in August!!! I am soooo excited!! First workshop for me and first of any kind of instruction since I firt picked up pastels. Really, really looking forward to this!

Christine

Potoma
02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Hands down: Richard McKinley

And I get to in September!

Next in line would be Susan Ogilvie, in part b/c McKinley is taking or recently took from her, but I love her work, too. Doug Dawson and Albert Handel would be on the list as well. I have Barry Wadkin videos and would love to see him in his own area's landscapes.

Deborah Secor
02-19-2009, 10:35 AM
BTW, I understand Elizabeth Mowry is doing a demonstration this fall for the Colorado pastel society--I think in Grand Junction. Maybe September? If any of you are involved, let us know the details of this!

Deborah

Studio-1-F
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't even know if these folks teach, but my tops would be:
-- Bill Creevy
-- Mark Leach
-- Bill Cone

Jan

westcoast_Mike
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm going to Richard McKinley's at the end of March. I'd love to Kim's later in the year as well if I can work it out.

knippes
02-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Deborah,
Looks like Elizabeth Mowry will be at the Western Slope meeting on September 12-13 in Grand Junction Colorado for the Colorado Pastel Society. Oh my and I jealous. I'm a member, but live on the opposite side of Colorado and already have my poor hubby taking me to IAPS.
At this point, the workshop I'm looking forward to the most is Dianna Ponting's in Littleton (yup - I get to meet Christine) this summer. But so far, she's the only one I've taken. I'm also really hoping to take Maggie Price's this summer at Terry's place also. I hoping that I'll know a lot more after IAPS, cause I signed up for a whole bunch of different folks, including Richard McKinney.
Do you all take workshops with an instructor who's style you want to emulate, or an instructor who's style is totally different than you own in order to learn new things?
-Kym

Kathryn Wilson
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Do you all take workshops with an instructor who's style you want to emulate, or an instructor who's style is totally different than you own in order to learn new things?
-Kym

There are so many I would love to take workshops with, but at this point in time, for me, I would chose one who would push me in a direction I hadn't experienced before. I am almost thinking a mentor would be a good thing - someone to bounce ideas off of, look at my work with a very critical eye, and lead me down a path of discovery that I hadn't known existed.

I hope that makes sense.

saramathewson
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
i would love to take a workshop with Deborah and Maggie Price and Richard Mckinley. Also Jack Pardue and Tony Allain---i love his work! Colleeen Howe and Susan Ogilvie look good too. Ooh and Desmond O'Hagan! His work just wow's me.

Sara

ElsieH
02-19-2009, 12:10 PM
:wave:

"So little time, so many books!" one my favorite quotes can be adjusted:
"So little time, money, transportation, so many great teachers!"

On the practical side of having to choose one, I'd choose from the list:
Our own: Deborah Secor, Maggie Price, Donna Aldridge....
Wider scope? Richard McKinley, Bob Rohm, Elizabeth Mowery, Jack Pardue,
I could go on and on and on!

In the realm of fantasy: Sure, Deborah: Monet, Monet and Monet again.:heart:

So, I can pick one workshop, and that will be great!
But, Dear Friends, after that one, I'd point out that every day on WC we have virtual workshops and inspiring converstations!:clap: :heart:

Yes, there is NOTHING like the in person knowledge and joy of taking a workshop. But, as my constant day in and day out "education": WC, Videos,
Artistnetwork,tv; NorthLight Book Club, various wonderful magazines including Pastel Journal, plus great Blogs from Deborah Secor, Richard McKinley etc. Wealth untold!:clap:

robertsloan2
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh boy, I've got a hard choice here.

Deborah Secor, preferably someplace physically beautiful with me in a power chair so that I could get around to the outdoorness of it. Deb heads the list because she does workshops fairly often and I may wind up settling for her DVD sometime this summer. Deb, yours is the one I'm most likely actually to get to one.

Charlene Herczfeld aka Our Charlie again preferably someplace wonderful and outdoors with a power chair and trails sufficient to get me to the good sites. Sweden is good for people with disabilities but this one is less likely to actually happen. Probably impossible to avoid flying, but if I can afford a cruise and plan it for the right time it could be incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Actually in practical terms it's not a hard choice because it's far more likely I can save up for one of Deborah's workshops than that I could make it to Sweden, but want you both to know you've helped me so much that I'd go out of my way for a second helping in person if it was remotely feasible.

Paula Ford
02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
BTW, I understand Elizabeth Mowry is doing a demonstration this fall for the Colorado pastel society--I think in Grand Junction. Maybe September? If any of you are involved, let us know the details of this!

Deborah

:eek: I'd give ANYTHING to meet Elizabeth Mowry!!! Oh, yes! Please give us the details!! Thank you in advance.

PeggyB
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Deborah,
-Kym

At this point in time I go for someone who's work I admire, but is different from mine. I figure why do something I already know how to do? With this in mind, I'm signed up for Jimmy Wright's "Self Portrait Outside the Box" one day workshop at the IAPS convention. I'm feeling more than a bit "queezy" about doing this as I've not touched portraiture in about 30 years, but what the heck... I know Ill have fun because I have friends that will be in the class too.

Peggy

koisdad
02-20-2009, 12:15 AM
i would soooooo go to a pontig workshop for still lifes. portraiture i would go to daniel greene or maybe his wifes. but theres a guy from new york i would really love to attend a workshop of his name is Timothy John-Luke smith. his work is beautiful. for wildlife id like a tandem workshop from our guys Leigh Rust and Patrick Hedges. havent really gotten into doing landscapes yet so havent done much research. i would also looooooooove (since debora secor went back in time) to spend a day in a bar with Caravaggio. lol. then maybe watch him paint a little.

Shari
02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I just signed up for a workshop with Marla Baggetta; I love her loose style and I am looking forward to working with her. Check her art out at www.baggettastudios.com

SuzySue
02-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Hmmm... D. All of the above.

I love workshops - I guess it 'cause I still don't know what my style is so they are all fun learning experiences (ok, I've only take three)

I signed up for Lorenzo Chavez's one day workshop at IAPS and Maggie Prices and Richard McKinley's demos. I did pretty good considering I didn't know who to sign up with when I registered last year.

I'm taking a workshop with Desmond O'Hagan the first week in March. I love his work.

koisdad
02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
is there a website to go to that lets you know if theres a workshop going on in your area?

thanks
leo

Deborah Secor
02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Aw, you guys are so sweet. :heart: I'm pleased that you'd like to do a workshop with me sometime. Actually, Robert, I don't teach many of them any more. I only have one scheduled for 2009, right after the close of the IAPS convention, on June 1-2. It's going to be a fun one, and a few of the folks I've gotten acquainted with here are already coming!! I can't wait. It will be so much fun to have a chance to share the things I've talked about here for years... It's a studio workshop, and I'm planning to do a lengthy demo the first day showing how I paint a landscape from a photograph, then we'll noodle around with some of the new materials that we're sure to get at the convention. There's more information here: http://www.deborahchristensen.com/Classes.html#anchor_99

You all should also look at the workshop that Maggie Price is holding in Juzcar, Spain! She takes her group into the Alhambra to paint!! Talk about a great plein air location... She has a tour guide/host that escorts them all over, acts as interpreter, and they paint some of the most beautiful scenery. And the price is really reasonable, too. www.maggiepriceart.com

Deborah

ElsieH
02-21-2009, 02:14 PM
:wave:

Deborah:
OOOOO! Maggie and the Alhambra too! Now that would be heavely!
With my Ethnomathimatical interests: The designs and the geometry of that place give it a spectacular temptation! Hmmmm!:heart:

Actually, I note that Maggie is giving a workshop in Wisconsin this July:
Not that I might be able to do! Hmmmm?

While I know you are not giving as many workshops, Deborah, I'd still love to be there. Next best thing? Your videos! AND that book, I hope you are still working on! :heart:

Maggie P
02-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Glad some of you will be at IAPS and in my classes there. I will be looking for you all at IAPS, both in classes and out. There will be some great instructors there--it's a wonderful opportunity to take classes with lots of them!

Painting at the Alhambra was indeed an amazing experience and I look forward to doing it again. But I love all of our Spain trip, from the Alhambra to the tiny villages that make you feel like you stepped back in time. Next October will be the 5th workshop there, and I can hardly wait to go back.

Workshops are such fun. I love getting to know people and watching how much they grow in 3 or 5 or 10 days. And my work grows, too, from teaching and from the intensity of the classes.

Next best thing, though, is WC!

Terry Wynn
02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I am excited to be able to attend an upcoming Susan Ogilvie workshop in July in Merriam, Kansas.

My next hopes would be Serguei Oussik and Grace Paleg. But both of those will require more travel than I can presently do.

There are so many wonderful artists with so much to teach...

Terry

Scottyarthur
02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
:rolleyes: Well lets see, :lol: ah I don't even have to think about this one
:thumbsup: Wolf Kahn then Susan Sarbach. :D
Monet for sure and Michelangelo but alas they are both gone now.