PDA

View Full Version : Pronghorn bachelor group


Dave Slaughter
08-06-2006, 08:29 PM
This is a scratchboard drawing of a group of young buck pronghorn antelope. After the young males leave their mother they gather into bachelor groups, in which they spend a lot of time sparring and honing the skills they will need in later life when they need to fight seriously for breeding rights. This is a picture of such a group. I haven't done many mammal scratchboards and I'm not real happy with it. Somehow the fur isn't realistic, though I did it as finely as I could. Any suggestions from you more experienced artists?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2006/83835-pronghorn_group_copy.jpg

Bertoni
08-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Dave:
It looks real good to me! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You're too tough on yourself with this one. I like it a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obedec
08-06-2006, 11:12 PM
I think it looks great but I know of what you speak...try the fiberglass brush and take a quilting needle (sharpened) or a pin or my favorite, the #11 blade and go back inbetween all those black spaces. You can always put color back in or black back in. I did a black dog that I kept going back over with ink and color and it does not show well in a photo, but when you actually look at it closely, you can see the layers of hair and how the light reflects off of them.
Let me know if this helps.
Karen

gingery
08-08-2006, 12:53 AM
This looks great to me.....sounds like Karen has a good suggestion, but I've never worked on scratchboard, so I'm clueless. Nice job!:thumbsup:
ginger

Crias
08-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi Dave,

Lovely lighting on this piece! I also like the composition.

One tip I would have for you as far as the fur goes is to avoid cross hatching, except in areas where you get changes in fur direction. It looks like you have used crosshatching to get white areas (like in the rump of the guy closest to the front) instead of just building up many, many lines in the direction that the fur lays. It is more time consuming, but will give a more real look. For smooth hair, like these guys have, it is lots of tiny, thin lines rather than thick ones. I use an exacto for 90% of my work (steel wool for the other 10%) and make sure it is sharp and with a very light touch. If it isn't scratching with a light touch I resharpen until it will. And I actually use the back side of the exacto, not the cutting edge side. When I am getting into really dark areas, but still need to show some detail I use stippling (dots). Also, what brand of scratchboard are you using? I just started using ampersand about 1 1/2 years ago and what a difference it made to my work! Some people hate it because it scratches very easily... this is the reason I love it! I can get such thin lines and much more detail than the brands that require more pressure to scratch. If you haven't tried ampersand brand I strongly recomend it. Of course trying different brands will let you decide your own personal preference.

Here is about a 300% view of detail on my most recent piece which shows how I build up light areas by layering all in the same direction, with minimal cross hatching.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2006/2921-darklion-crop.jpg

I hope that is helpful.

tanianault
08-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi Dave: I have only one thing to add techique wise - Cathy's pretty much said it all :-) be careful when depicting highlights in backlit areas to avoid outlines. You don't have to make a complete line around things, it tends to make things look "cartoony" trust in your viewers' eyes to complete the lines for you.

You've definitely captured the "pronghorn stance" very well. I also like the sense of interaction between the members of the group.

- Tania

tanianault
08-13-2006, 03:08 PM
- Tania

Mary Woodul
08-13-2006, 05:46 PM
How did I miss this one? It is stunning as usual. I love the way you play with light and shadow.

Bertoni
08-14-2006, 01:47 AM
WOW!Cathy certainly did say it all!!! :thumbsup: I'll want to print it out so I remember some of those excellent points she made!!!

Dave Slaughter
08-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I would like to thank all of you for your comments. I have learned an awful lot from the advice you have given. Again, thanks. Dave

valchina612
10-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Dave, I think you've made a great job here, and at the same time have created a very interesting thread. Keep up the great work. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Diana Lee
10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I like them. You have captured life. As far as advice goes, I agree with everyone else, Cathy said it all. All I can add is ditto.

Diana