PDA

View Full Version : Ink and Wash

G.L. Hoff
03-17-2002, 04:04 PM
I've posted this before, over in the Watercolor Forum, but I thought you "pen freaks" might like to see this. It's on Bristol 3-ply, drawn with waterproof ink using a crow quill, then washed with watercolor...after Durer's "The Large Turf" from about 1510...and not as good as his.

artdude
03-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Always GREAT to see your ink works Gary. Us "pen freaks" enjoy your work :D :D How do you like using the "crow quill" pens compared to the "technical" pens?? Does the 3-ply Bristol take the wash ok, or do you get some paper buckling???

NorahT
03-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Nice pen work and lovely colours. (Especially for St. Patrick's Day :D )

Surfinia
03-17-2002, 08:50 PM
This is so good - lots of detail and overlapping of stems and leaves - I'm impressed with your skill. The washes are outstanding.

Thanks for posting.

Axl
03-17-2002, 09:10 PM
I definately enjoy your selection of colours "D

G.L. Hoff
03-17-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by artdude
Always GREAT to see your ink works Gary. Us "pen freaks" enjoy your work :D :D How do you like using the "crow quill" pens compared to the "technical" pens?? Does the 3-ply Bristol take the wash ok, or do you get some paper buckling???

Thanks...this one was fun, but took about 16 hours to finish. Actually, Bristol takes the washes okay if you don't get too juicy with 'em. I originally was going to do this as only a pen study but decided to color it after the fact. Couldn't have gotten nearly the nice lines on wc paper. Actually, I really like crow quills because you can vary the line quality from thick to thin while drawing it. Much more expressive than technical pen but (imo) much harder to learn. I started with crow quills long, long ago...

Norah, and Surfinia and Axl...thanks...

dolors
03-18-2002, 01:15 AM
I have enjoyed the viewing. Very well drawn and painted.

sassybird
03-18-2002, 08:56 AM
I used to be a peeping 'tom boy' on animals and birds when I was a kid. I could spend hours lying quietly in the tall grasses watching natures critters. This brings back memories. Your line work and watercolor or not over done, and that gives a nice feel to the whole piece. Good job!

busy91
03-18-2002, 11:40 AM
I like the simplicity of the colors here. good job.

digistyle
03-18-2002, 08:02 PM
All the good stuff's been said so I'll just add a thumbs up!

digistyle

RuthT
03-19-2002, 09:16 AM
I saw this in the watercolour forum Gary and liked it. Such lovely detail.

Good idea to post it here, it should be more widely seen. :)

G.L. Hoff
03-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by RuthT
I saw this in the watercolour forum Gary and liked it. Such lovely detail.

Good idea to post it here, it should be more widely seen. :)

Thanks, Ruth...actually, don't wanna clutter the site too much, but this was done with a crow quill, and I'd mentioned before that I use that sometimes...hence the post.

Cheers

AriadneArts
03-27-2002, 01:18 AM
This is so lovely! Great lines and control over your media. Beautiful colors--all in all a joy to look at. I'd hang it on my wall.