PDA

View Full Version : barrier, linocut, 8x10, on sumi paper

AmyH
03-17-2002, 02:43 PM
here is the lino i yanked after the "incident" ;) lol

colin
03-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Pretty cool, Amy - I like how he's kinda rolling his eyes at the stream of words ...

sassybird
03-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Great cutting, Amy! I always enjoy your work, and it is certainly nice to see something in this forum:D

Gisela
03-21-2002, 12:26 AM
Oh yeah! :cool:

That's some pretty intense knifework there! Great image.

Gis

NYIllustrator
04-17-2002, 08:33 PM
amy, do you use a barren, or speedball tools to get your effect?

AmyH
04-17-2002, 08:42 PM
thanks guys.

I use a baren, or a wooded spoon. the baren rips up the paper if i dont go in the direction of the grain of the bamboo sheathing. I use speedball cutting tools, and the battleship grey linoleum. watersoluble ink for easy clean up. :)

NYIllustrator
04-17-2002, 08:52 PM
how did you get suck fine lines> I find the speed ball tools too big and clumsy to get fine lines like that. Is there a special tool you use, or do you heat your linolium first?

AmyH
04-17-2002, 09:18 PM
the "kit" i bought has several heads to the handle, and one is pretty small (a centimeter maybe), also not using too much pressure helps. not heard of heating the linoleum; that softens it right?. here is another that nearly drove me nuts!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2002/Envy.jpg

NYIllustrator
04-17-2002, 09:24 PM
wow, your work is very macob and beautiful. So basically to get those lines you just sort of "knick" the surface with the tool? I also had trouble getting the fine lines to show on my work because the ink was too thick and filled the small lines since they are so close to the surface. Is there something you can suggest for that? Also do you use the block mounted lino, or the non mounted lino? I also take it, you use a press rather than hand print?

AmyH
04-17-2002, 09:34 PM
thanks.

yeah nick or scratch, but with some depth.

no, no press here sadly, just spoons lol. i just try not to put too much ink on, roll it out to get it thin and sticky, the texture that seems "right". have to wash the thing after every few prints though as the lines do fill up.

I prefer mounted, i hate the lino curling up after being washed, even though it evens out ultimately. also, i sit where ever i feel like; sometimes the lino is in my lap, mounted makes it easier to do this.

NYIllustrator
04-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all your help. One more quick question lol. So you find the sumi paper soaks up the ink nicely? Is it like a textured rice paper?Also do you use speedball inks? I give you a lot of credit working with the lino in your lap, there is so much resistance on lino that Id be afraid to slip and jab my hand. (its happened before and it aint pretty).

AmyH
04-17-2002, 09:48 PM
the sumi paper shows the ink through the back a bit without soaking due to its thinness. which is what ya want. if it "soaks", its too wet, we want the ink "resting on" or "sticking to" the paper, without it being absorbed very much at all. that is how the fine lines are retained.

I have not tried many papers, so try out a few different types, i dont do much lino, and havent experimented much in that area myself. :)