PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Red

lindaglo
08-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone. Has anyone used this color Rainbow Red (or Red Rainbow)? I got some at the Gathering and not sure what to do with it. I tried it on some dk ivory, just dots, to see what it would do and it is a blood red. I guess the name makes me think it will do something wonderful if I knew how to use it.
Thanks

Linda
(just noticed I have passed 100 posts:clap: )

killerbeedz1
08-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I've used it before. The blood red happens when you work it longer. Before that it will be a light brown color and then there is another lighter red color in between just before it turns blood red.

MaureenKennedy
08-04-2006, 11:32 PM
I have some - never been able to do anything with it and it just looks putrid.

richsantaclaus
08-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Geeze Maureen - do you have EVERYTHING?...lol,lol,lol!!!!!

Me Jayne
08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
This is the only color I've ever gotten from it so far, which I really like. I seem to get this same dark red consistently, but nothing like the "rainbow" I first expected! Maybe I haven't played with it enough?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2006/55018-heart-red.jpg

lindaglo
08-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Nice color Jayne, maybe it is something that just has to be used alone. I gotta admit to being a little disappointed tho, I was hoping it would live up to its name.
Linda

krixbeeble
08-05-2006, 09:31 AM
i dunno what went "wrong" w/ it but what a beautiful color all the same!!! it'd be super cute for some cherries or something.

NYCindy
08-05-2006, 12:33 PM
If I remember correctly, the Rainbow Red got its name because of the various shades of red you can get from the different rods. I have about 2 lbs of the rainbow red and the rods are all different- some rods look like veiled glass with a center of color surrounded by clear and then an outside of red - some come out the blood red, some come out the brownish-red color, some are just plain ugly :-)!

So the "rainbow" is the different shades rather than a specific effect you get from the glass rod.

You haven't done anything "wrong" - you can still have fun with the color you get :-)

I really love the color that Jayne got out of it!

Cindy

Me Jayne
08-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys! All my rods look the same, so I'm hoping they stay consistently red; I don't like ugly surprises, ack!

MaureenKennedy
08-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Rich - I try!

Jayne - what torch did you use to get that color? Hothead?

Me Jayne
08-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi Maureen, I'm using a Minor/NG/Oxycon setup. I usually tend to melt more slowly than most people & not as hot, and flash the bead alot at the end.

CieloAzulDesigns
08-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Pretty color----who is the manufacturer?

Me Jayne
08-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks...It's Vetrofond :)

SuzyQ
08-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Nice color Jayne!

I have a couple different batches too. One gives me cloudy blood but the other gives me a nice deep garnet color. Perfect for fall beads. I'll have to pull it out.

dkaylu
08-06-2006, 08:13 AM
I found that it needs to be by itself, no mixing - here's a set I did with it a while back...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2006/65255-DSC01585.JPG

lindaglo
08-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey those are nice Debi! I tried again yesterday, talk about FUGLY!! Will have to try again all by itself. I am glad I didnt buy a lot of it though!

Linda
Pray for Sahara

Nalynn
08-06-2006, 10:21 AM
I think the shades are lovely, judging from the samples all of you have posted. Seems to run the gamut from a currant red to deep garnet.

delicateweasel
08-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Gee, I've only gotten a sort of dull red. Maybe I'm not working it enough.
What kind of flame do you recommend?
R.

Josie
08-09-2006, 03:27 AM
I'm with Maureen here. Putrid! I have all sorts of reds and transparent reds and get glorious colors from them but not the rainbow red. My rods are brownish mud looking and that's about all I get with a hint of burnt orange. I remember reading a post a while back from a supplier that said there were many different shades of this color and some were easier to get red from than others and sometimes the colors were more brownish, orange toned. Apparently I got a yucky, hard batch. Figures.:rolleyes: The few beads I made looked so nasty that I haven't touched the stuff since.:lol:

Tracey