PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird

DMcGowan
08-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Last Sunday I took a picture of a little hummingbird that was visiting the butterfly bush. I've been wanting to try and do a hummingbird with a little gold ever since reading Deborah Secor's hummingbird demo. I exaggerated the colors a little bit, but did not make his tail feather tips as blue as it shows here, they're more black -just couldn't get the color right on my program. I think he kind of gets lost against the busy background and the whole thing is a little dark, but I'm happy with it! Can't wait to try another. This is 9x12 on Wallis Belgian Mist. C& C welcome and thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2006/48797-matcrop.jpg

beebluefern
08-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Donna this is just lovely...love your style and the little bird just shines. What kind of pastels do you use? Very well done, neighbor!

Tom Christopher
08-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Beautiful job --the colors are amazing-a real feeling of flight--thank you Tom

Adriana Meiss
08-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Donna,
This is really beautiful! I love everything about it. With little detail you managed to convey a fleeting moment. Love the background too. :clap:
Adriana

Kathryn Wilson
08-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Excellent - very painterly!

Charles Perera
08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
If this is a pastel painting it is very well done. Dark back ground and light colours make a good composition. But you refer to a programme does it mean this has been worked out in computer programme like photo shop ?

thanks,
Charles

Tressa
08-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Beautiful!! And to think you grabbed a photo of this little guy!!
Tres

DMcGowan
08-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Thank you, Pam, Tom, Adriana, Kyle and Charles. I used all kinds of pastels on this -Sennilers, Ludwigs, Mt Visions, Nupastels. Prismacolors and pastel pencils. That was the most fun, trying out the different colors. I think I still need more sets! On his back I put a little bit of gold before I colored him in with the pastels. Charles, I don't know what you call the program/thing/software. But, after I take a photo of the painting I have to adjust it on the computer. On my desktop it's called Image zone. I crop it and resize it so I can upload it. And if it's all washed out I can darken it. There's a little slide bar to move one way if it's too blue or the other way if it's too yellow. This one came out more blue than in real life, but even if I slid that bar way over to yellow, the whole picture would be yellow, except for those little tail feather tips! Go figure. So, I just left it as best I could get it. The greens were all right on.

Karen Margulis
08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Ohhh Donna this is beautiful!!!! I love it! Good to see you here too.

Karen

K Taylor-Green
08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Just gorgeous, Donna!

Terry Wynn
08-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi, Donna,

I think Kyle and Adriana summed up what hits me about this painting - very painterly and light on the detail. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

Bringer
08-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi,

Simply wonderful !

Kind regards,

Josť

ajcastro
08-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Excelente trabajo! me encanta el fondo!!! Y la perspectiva del ave es realmente bella. Felicidades!!!

Deborah Secor
08-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Donna, you should be very happy with this one. I love the detail you have in his back and tail, and you really caught that slightly twisted gesture. They're such acrobats in the air! I'm glad I helped a little... :)

Your flowers are wonderful--nice color and movement, and I like the darks you put around him, which makes him glow. The only suggestion I have for your next one is to maybe design the composition so the hummer is against a simplified area of background. I find that really keeps the focus on these little jewels.

Have fun!

Deborah