PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new camera...

bluegypsy
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm Janice, a 40 something mom of 3 teens, and I'm just now getting back into my lifelong love of photography and art. I want to concentrate on taking pictures for greeting cards, posters, etc, as well as stock agencies, but I'd also like to do photo stories for publication and/or private commission. I do have some business background, but since I'm just starting out, and don't have a lot of money to put out yet, I'm wondering if I can run a business with my Canon AE-1 35 mm, a Canon Sureshot compact, and a good compact digital, like maybe a Nikon 7600, or other similar camera?(I have a 3.1mp HP, but, I'm looking for another one). I know I probably should invest in a D-SLR eventually, but for what I'm doing, I find I can get very good quality from what I already have, plus Paint Shop Pro X, and outsource printing. Does anyone else have any suggestions, or advice to give a new photographer looking to buy something that would make this thing work well at this point? Thanks so much...Janice

tomreese
08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi Janice,

I've heard that very few stock agencies accept 35mm stuff anymore. If you want to sell your stuff through them then you'll probably need high quality digital files. You could probably find out who accepts what and their resolution requirements through a couple google searches. I suppose you could conceivably shoot 35mm then scan the results but that's pretty time consuming.

I can't help you too much with your other questions.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Tom

DesertDarlene
08-01-2006, 08:04 PM
I agree with Tom in that you need high quality digital files. The trick for filmers is to get your negatives scanned by a professional photo lab when you have the film developed. I've been able to adjust the resolution and size from these CD files with good results. It is usually easy to touch up and order reprints, too. I've actually gotten some good prints from these even after adjusting the resolution. I haven't done posters, yet, though.

Though a scanner is good for those photos that aren't CD archived, I wouldn't use scanned prints to submit to a stock agency. The detail seems to get lost when they are scanned. Also, make sure you use noise-reduction software to reduce noise from the photos you submit.

Some publications still take slides, but as digital cameras continue to improve, that is becoming less and less likely.

I, too, hope this helps a little. I am still trying to save up for a nice digital camera as well.

manyhats
08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Janice,
Welcome to W/C.
For what little I know, the resolution for stock agencies as stated above by the others has to be of pretty good size. Here is a quote from one agency:

" IMPORTANT:
If you use a digital camera, your camera needs to be at least 6 megapixels, your images must be taken at the highest possible quality level/file size (preferably RAW format), and have dimensions of at least 3000 by 2000 pixels. "

Also as a side note, they are not talking about taking smaller files and upsizing them to 2000 x 3000. Many specifically note this and warn against it.

A DSLR will probably be your only option, though there may be other cameras that fit the bill, not sure. If you go DSLR, I would suggest Canon and Nikon and take a look at DPREVIEW.com. They have some very good info on cameras.
Since you have a Canon already, you may want to stay with them if your lenses are interchangable with the DSLR's. That I don't know.

Hope some of this helps, welcome to the forums and also you may want to look in the PHOTOGRAPHY section. That is where equipment and processing etc is discussed, there may be some more helpful llinks there.
Michael

kaleidoscope eyes
08-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Hello Janice and welcome to the photography forums, good to have you join us :)
I'm moving this thread to the main 'photography' page which is for all threads about equipment and software.
If you're really serious about stock photography I'd recommend a Nikon or Canon DSLR, the prices are coming down on older models like the NikonD70 (which I can highly recommend ;) ) It would be worth waiting until you can do this rather than be frustrated by file sizes and agency requirements.

Oldthumbs
08-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Janice,

All of the above is good advice. Sure, you can do it with the equipment you have, but as everyone else has noted, you'll be rather limited, particularly if you want to sell your photographs, and not just products printed with your photographs.

I agree with Carol - if you are serious about this, don't waste your money, or time, on anything less than a DSLR. For example, the Nikon 7600, while having a 7.1 MP sensor, only saves files in JPEG format - there is no RAW option. Also, you have no flexibility as far as focal lengths are concerned. You are limited to a 3X zoom, which can really cramp your style.

Not to rain on your parade, though. I hope you make a go of it. It's like riding a bicycle again - you just have to get up to speed. ;)

Ray

DesertDarlene
08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Yes, the advice given by Tom, Michael, Carol and Ray is good. Since you will be competing against other highly skilled photographers, you want to, at least, get the best equipment you can.