PDA

View Full Version : Catitude In Silver Scratchboard-Xpost AW

Obedec
08-01-2006, 12:33 AM
This is a quick one. Only 4x4. for a birthday card. Silver Scratchboard. Steel Wool and exacto knife.
C&C welcome.
Karenhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2006/48983-Dianes_Birthday_Cat.jpg

Mary Woodul
08-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Karen, this is so beautiful. What a wonderful birthday card!

Bertoni
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Karen:
This is so darn good!!!!:clap: Nice work!!!
Where can one buy the silver scratchboard? Is it a black board that when scratched silver is exposed rather than white???

gingery
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
This is lovely!:thumbsup: Someone is very fortunate to be getting this on their birthday!:cool: Do you want to know when my birthday is? Ha!:rolleyes: Great job!:clap:
ginger :wave:

Obedec
08-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks all. Bertoni, I ordered it through NASCO, but I've seen it in Jerry's, etc...there's also copper and gold (get the copper, it's much richer), and Dick Blick.
Ginger, when is your birthday? LOL and what do you like.
Karen

Obedec
08-01-2006, 12:35 PM
ps...yes, but it's not an ampersand board...sort of like cardboard.
Karen

Jakeally
08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Just beautiful Karen:clap: :clap:

sks
08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I've seen the regular white and now just found out that there is gold and a multi-colour.... didn't know there was silver and copper - thanks.:)
Steel Wool ???? wow - thanks for that tip
This work is fabulous - lucky birthday person :D
Sharon

Dave Slaughter
08-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Very nice! What grade of steel wool do you use, and how hard is it to control?

Obedec
08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I believe it's triple 0 (it's been a long time and is no longer in a bag). Don't use the stuff with soap. Not too difficult to control, I use it when I want something sort of fuzzy without specific edges. I'm having more trouble with the fiberglass brush in learning technique with it, but love the effect.
Karen

nikkico
08-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Good title, "Catitude"! The drawing here is very good. Honestly I've never heard about scratchboard until just a few days ago, and so many people do this! ...so it's exacto knife that you scratch with? Like drawing with the tip of the knife? Or is it actually cut? I need to look up more about this. It's interesting combined with the soft marks from the steel wool. Nice work, Karen.

Obedec
08-05-2006, 10:25 PM
You are definitely in luck...I believe the ampersand company is IN Texas. I don't know how far from you though. You can use many different tools to make your scratches (and Ampersand doesn't sell the colored, only white and black). I actually flip my knife over so only the very tip is used. I prefer a #11 blade. There are also classical scratch tools, but basically, anything that will make a mark can be used to create your scratch. Looking at your cookies, you might want to use a wider blade to create your design. Lots of possibilites and I hope you will try it whether you continue to use it or not.
Karen

Merry Scribe
08-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Karen I can see why you were able to sell this piece so easily. We love and it is a very beautiful job.:clap: :thumbsup: Annie and I only heard about scratchboarding from you when you posted on our Green Man thread that was the day you said that you were going to the festival.

Again a very beautiful piece and I am going to read up on this art form.

Blessed Be

Obedec
08-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I met a scrimshaw/wood etcher at the festival yesterday. He hadn't heard about it either, but neither had he heard about wet canvas...hopefully he'll show up soon. I would think that scrimshaw carving, wood carving/burning and scratchboard are all related and one could easily bounce between all three (unless like me, you're a gadget-aholic and have to have all the toys that go with each artform).
Happy day,
Karen

Merry Scribe
08-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I am also a gadget-aholic and I love all toys. Annie told me one time that the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. And that fits me to a tee.

Blessed Be

Brian:wave: :D