PDA

View Full Version : Getting Lumps out of Colorfix Primer

Scorpio
07-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi,
I have one of those large pint size containers of colorfix primer that is a few years old. I tried to use it recently, but it was way too thick and had a bunch of lumps in it. I added water to thin it out a bit, but I still couldn't get rid of the lumps. I thought about using my electric mixer, but that was just way too mooky and messy to contemplate. Does anyone have a great method for getting rid of these lumps??

Emilie

artist_pw
07-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi:

If you have a hand held style blender, you can use that, or maybe a strainer to get the lumps out. Hand held blenders are great to use for a lot of different things. Hope these suggestions might help

chewie
07-30-2006, 01:01 AM
i would try maybe just smushing it with a fork against the sides of the jar, and a bit more water. how bout emailing the company?

Donna A
07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi,
I have one of those large pint size containers of colorfix primer that is a few years old. I tried to use it recently, but it was way too thick and had a bunch of lumps in it. I added water to thin it out a bit, but I still couldn't get rid of the lumps. I thought about using my electric mixer, but that was just way too mooky and messy to contemplate. Does anyone have a great method for getting rid of these lumps??

Emilie

Hi, Emilie! Those lumps are most likely primer that has dried around the upper edges or from the lid and have mixed in. You need to strain them out. They will not "re-wet."

I have a number of containers of colourfix primer in most all the colors, some that I end up using a LOT and others that have only been dipped into on occasion since '99 or there abouts when I first bought many of them and felll in love with their many uses! I've had to be careful to keep the dried or nearly dried primer from mixing in---which I manage most of the time, but sometimes not----so do have to "pick it out" if it's in larger bits---or have, after adding water to the original viscosity of the primer, pulled out what I thought I would need for what I was using the primer for and then just picked out any bits with the tip of a small palette knife or small brush or ColourShaper, etc.

I've never had any other kinds of lumps with all the colourfix primer I've had in the last 7 years since it's been on the market here in the USA.

And it does seem to "keep" very well, other than the normall evaporation that occurs even in a closed container for some years. It is smart, I finally figured out, to add some water to all of those jars I have that have been around a while. And to scrape off any dried primer from inside the lid, the screw area of the outside of the jar and the inside of the container---BEFORE I add the water and mix in well.

You should be able to make great use of the primer if you don't break up the lumps into bits too small to remove easily! Hope that helps! Best wishes! Donna ;-)

Scorpio
07-30-2006, 01:34 PM
artist_ pw and chewie, thanks for your responses. I have tried those methods with not much luck. I tried a strainer after I read your post, and that did help somewhat, but was very messy. I think my next attempt will be with a cheesecloth.

Donna, you are right, they do not re-wet. And I did look at the upper sides--THAT is where this mess is coming from! I'm thinking a cheesecloth is the way to go....it will strain all the lumps out and I can just throw it away. Thanks!
Emilie

Donna A
07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
artist_ pw and chewie, thanks for your responses. I have tried those methods with not much luck. I tried a strainer after I read your post, and that did help somewhat, but was very messy. I think my next attempt will be with a cheesecloth.

Donna, you are right, they do not re-wet. And I did look at the upper sides--THAT is where this mess is coming from! I'm thinking a cheesecloth is the way to go....it will strain all the lumps out and I can just throw it away. Thanks!
Emilie

Hi, again, Emilie! So glad you you discovered what was going on in the upper sides of the container! yea!

Yes, cheesecloth should help. Maybe do a little at a time for just what you need--at first----and put that into a brand new container. That would sound better to me that trying to strain all of it at once---since you will probably discover techiniques that work better and better as you go! And in the meantime, you can do what you need to prevent new "lumps!" I'm hoping you did not break the "lumps" up toooo much and that they are still larger bits, in general. But---whatever----you know how to prevent! And that is always good! :-)

Maybe even thin the primer down just a bit more, since the cheesecloth and the process in general is going to soak up a bit of the water. And since it dries soooo wonderfully fast, another reason to do smaller quantities till you find your best method! Take good care! Donna ;-}