PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird

Dave Slaughter
07-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Here's an attempt at a scratchboard drawing of a hummingbird. It's on Clayboard black tinted with ink. I'm not real happy with the flowers - the model was wildflowers growing in front of my home. I think the bird came out ok. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thankshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2006/83835-hummingbird.jpg

Bertoni
07-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Looking good! :thumbsup: Maybe more gray tones in the wings, and a bit more color and white hilights in the flower???

gingery
07-29-2006, 04:47 PM
The hummingbird is lovely!:thumbsup: A wonderful job!:clap:
ginger

Mary Woodul
07-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Lovely work, it is stunning with the black background.

tanianault
07-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Very nice - I like the fine details in the wing primaries, underwing lining, and around the eye. I do have one comment though, which might be of help design wise and from a biological standpoint as well. Make the flowers red. The colour would echo the red on the bird's breast. Also hummingbirds are very attracted to red, so attracted that they have been known to try and feed from red hats, vehicles, and empty Coke cans. When out birding in an area known to have hummingbirds all one needs do to draw them in is to hang a bit of red cloth from a twig and you'll have hummers attracted to it in no time.

- Tania

nikkico
08-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Dave, the only thing I'd like to more of on these scratchboards is a little introduction to the background behind the main subject. Just a little texture created would bring some depth into the picture. The drawing is well done. I'll attest to tanianault's info about hummingbirds being drawn to any red objects --just the other day a hummingbird screeched to a halt mid-air right in front of me, it was very odd, and a little unnerving (silly!) only after it flew away did I realize it was the red mug I was drinking from that it was attracted to (not my blood! lmao!) Yes, anyway, keep up the good work!

Obedec
08-05-2006, 10:29 PM
A gorgeous piece Dave. I was thinking composition too...perhaps a third flower or some leaves. What is there is a bit on the static side and a touch of movement might just do it.
Karen

Dave Slaughter
08-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I'll try to work more on the background. I think that will be a lot harder than the main subject.

nikkico
08-06-2006, 06:03 PM
I think you're right about incorporating backgrounds being more difficult that the main subject..it's the next step up and also I bet it remains a challenge for the best painters every single time. Good luck, you're well on your way!

Obedec
08-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Backgrounds usually are. Have you seen Martiena's Richter's work. She has a website and she and Myorca are my idols in scratch. Myorca uses a pin. Martiena does more backgrounds etc. Also, take a look at Judy Larson. She works airbrush backgrounds. All three are very impressive, and you can learn a lot just looking at what they've done. I don't have the addresses on me but they're easy to google. Myorca is on Wet Canvas, and has a website.
Karen