PDA

View Full Version : Good news

beautifulfreak
07-29-2006, 12:25 PM
I've tested my classes kiln and it will go to cone 6 in the allotted time I can be there. So if I get in there around 8am and get it loaded by 9am it will make cone 6 by the time I need to leave in the evening. This is great news and widens the topics I can cover. I was worried as the admin. told me I can not leave the kiln on over night as was the standard for electric kilns college(the kilns at college were in real bad shape and took forever to reach cone, cones even lower than cone 6). yippee...

rosebead
07-29-2006, 01:34 PM
That is great. It certainly gives you more options to go to cone 6 then using low fire.

beautifulfreak
07-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know if a near empty electric kiln reach cone 6 in 4 hours from being turned to high from medium is a good time? I'm so used to old kilns taking forever, I don't know what a good time to reach temp is. Four hours seems reasonable, I wish I had a Pyrometer. Shoot I wish the kiln had a third peep hole plug(had to borrow the china painter's class kiln plug to fill all 3 holes. Don't know what I will do when she needs it for her kiln).

Gosh i am so happy it went to cone 6.

rosebead
07-29-2006, 08:25 PM
How large is the kiln? It takes my kiln about 9 hrs to reach cone 6. but my kiln is 15"X 27" (interior measurements)

beautifulfreak
07-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Its 21" x 27" interior measurements. 45 amps and built in the late 70's or early 80's. Gosh I hope it isn't ramping up too fast(still wishing for a pyrometer) (maybe an element burning too hot). If it took 9 hours from medium turned high to make cone I'd be in trouble as I only have from 8am to 9pm to complete loading and all cycles of a firing(not including cool down of course). I guess i'll do some research.

rosebead
07-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I think the proof is in the pudding so to speak; If your clay-body can tolerate it & your glazes come out ok- then I'm guessing its ok to go that fast. My total cycle takes about 9 hrs -less if its not loaded to fully.
(I reread your question & i think I understand it better) :)
If your kiln is near empty four hours seems reasonable to go from med to high to reach cone 6
You are really going to have to play with it & see how the pieces fair. & that will tell you how fast it can go.
I have always been cautious in my firing time.

beautifulfreak
07-30-2006, 08:02 PM
This kiln isn't computer controlled or anything, Not many options to slow it down or speed it up other than leaving a switch on medium when I flip the rest to high and as i pointed out no pyrometer to monitor the progress. I don't have to worry about this i suppose for a few week cause my class this semester is working with unglaze terra cotta.

I used a friends brand new kiln to bisque in once and was flabbergasted when it reached cone 010 before it was turned to high. I'm so used to dealing with old kilns that need work a new one blew me away. :)