PDA

View Full Version : The best range of greens?

MarkMan
07-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi all...

Which pastel company sells the best range of greens? Especially dark greens?

Mark

PeggyB
07-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Terry Ludwig's green box is irreplaceable - it covers the whole spectrum of green from yellow greens through blue greens, clear greens through grayed greens, and the darkest values are included. They will seem a bit soft to you at first compared to your Rembrandts, but I think they work well together.

Peggy

chewie
07-28-2006, 06:59 PM
i haven't tried terry's, but someday....!

for another option, check art spectrums 6packs--they sell six related colors, and diff. themes, i.e. 'summer greens' and 'winter greens'. that may a bit less expensive, and they aren't so soft either, but yet are really nice to work with. i think those six packs are around 12bucks or so. some hobby lobby's sell them, but most catalogs do too.

Tressa
07-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Unison also has some really nice dark greens, but you can't go wrong with Terry's... or AS for that matter :)
Tres

binkie
07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Mount Vision has some nice dark greens. If you check one of the other threads on this forum MV is having a sale right now. It's a great way to give them a try at a very reasonable cost.

binkie

bluefish
07-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I reach for the 'Terry Ludwig' big box of greens - as Peggy states above, they cover the gamut usually - I like some of the Unison greens because they are a little brighter, more life in certain floral pieces - I use Schminke 'chromium oxide' green shades for ocean work. As you learn, you will get a feel for what works for you!

We all have our favorite colors for specific applications - you develope this with experience.

'bluefish'

Muminami
07-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Mark, I see from your other posts that you already own a full set of Rembrandts, so you already own some quite nice greens, especially brighter greens. I know that most pastell artists say that you can never have too much pastels (after all we need a reason to justify our addiction :rolleyes: ...), but my experience has been that one can easily get ovewhelmed with too much of a good thing, especially when you just get started.

The Rembrands are quite clearly lacking some darks, and especially dark greens. So maybe just focus on collecting some darks to complement your collection right now instead of getting another full set of greens?

Sennelier has not yet been mentioned, and they have some of the darkest greens that I know of. One of my favorites is No. 158, "Bronze Green Deep", a very very dark green which is not dull, and although almost black it still looks clearly green. It goes very well with other greens (both cool and warm greens), e.g. for really dark shadow areas in foliage.

Other very very dark greens by Sennelier:
Black Green 177-180 (cool greens, I'd recommend No. 179)
Bronze Green Deep 155-159 (warm greens, I'd recommend No. 158)
Leaf Green 200 (warm green)
Moss Green Grey 167 (green-grey)
Olive Green 235-236 (warm greens)

All of them are very dark, and you can use them to layer and blend them with your Rembrandts to get almost any value and hue that you need.

The Unison Dark Greens (Dark 09-12) are also very nice, and I use them a lot, but they are much brighter than the Senneliers, and might bridge the gap between the Rembrandts and the Senneliers.

Muminami
07-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Another thought before you buy every green on earth that is available in pastels :D :
have a look at this thread in the Pastel Library on Greens: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122994, especially at the wonderful instructive posts by Jackie Simmonds.

Donna A
07-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi all...
Which pastel company sells the best range of greens? Especially dark greens?
Mark

I would never want to depend on only just one brand for all the greens I'd want---but what I use the very most of all 25 or so brands I have, pretty much all of most all of them----is the AS and Terry's. There are some wonderful MtV greens and Unison greens. Those are probably my top four---and others have mentioned all those as well.

If you are making a "modest or semi-modest" investment in new greens right now, I'd consider the AS 6ix Packs of Summer Greens and Winter Greens along with the Darkest Darks. There are 6 in each one of those packs---all different and some I use the very most of all! Then any of Terry's you can buy. If you are not ready to invest in his whole green set right now (which would be wonderful! I LOVE it as sooo many others do!,) then write to him or call him to order a selection of perhaps a dozen or more that he might choose and a varied range----if he can do that right now. Unison has several sets of 18, generally in a color family with a range usually of warm to cool and lighter to darker.

AS's greens have a wonderfully broad choice of light to dark greens, warms to cools, going on over into Green Umbers (warm, mustardy greens which I use sooo much and are a huge blessing in landscape painting) and TerraVerts (gentle blue greens,) Chrome Oxides (an often used favorite of mine!) and GrassGreens that are wonderful! AU Leaf Green Lt. goes a foliage-y olive-ish green that is simply a yellow-green that is not gaudy (and another I use sooo much!) and then the Au Leaf Green Dark that goes darker and a bit lower intensity, as well, as we need for more realisitic foliage greens. Of course, Thalo Green, a very intense cooler (bluer) green. I love using the thalo green darkest with the flinders BV and the ultramarine dark along with the thalo blue darkest, sometimes (all in the Darkest Dark 6ix Pack) for most of my very darkest greens! Yum! It's sooo great to weave them into each other for rich foliage shadows and other dark greens in most anything!!! And know I'm missing some. Nice thing is that they don't make an "automatic" number of darks and lights, but instead make colors that are useful for the artist, not loading us up with several colors that hardly vary at all in value----but still cost us money and space!

Terry makes some magnificent very, very dark cedar-y greens in particular!!! The blue-greens are often not quite as dark---but gorgeous!!! And I love the really lower intensity colors he makes as well that are often so much harder to find!!! And all sorts of other great colors!!!

MtVision has really worked at creating some valuable greens, too. Some great ranges and they have a new color chart. www.handmadepastels.com is the web site, if I'm remembering correctly. Give it a look. Email a request for their new chart.

And Unisons are so lovely, as well! A lot of range there, too!

Rembrandts are so much less pigmented than the other brands above and many other brands. But there was a time when that was about all that was available. I did a lot of pastel painting with them for years---but by the early 80s was adding Girault and Senns and Schm. And then life just kept getting better and better and better for us!!! :-)

I've found that many brands have a particular extra special group of greens---or other colors! Gir. had a cedar green that went a bit to the mustard that was wonderful---and their blue-violet! The version of b-v by the new company is more violet, so am thankful that AS came out with a great blue blue-violet called Jacaranda! Luscious!!! And great for landscapes in the midwest for our distant landmasses, ETC!!! :-)

Well---do try to get some greens from several different brands----but, being as I find myself reaching the very most for the AS and then for Terry's---I'd start there.

Whatever you invest in, very best wishes!! Donna ;-}

artist_pw
07-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi:

I noticed that Terry Ludwigs big set of greens are now broken out into 3 sets of 25 warm, cool and neutral sets at Dakota. When he visited the MidAmerica Pastel Society a few years ago, I got a few sticks to sample, and I wish I would have gotten more then!

Donna A
08-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi, Paula! Terry had a special sale price that we announced last fall at the November MAPS meeting when Jim Wallen was modeling FAther Christmas for those of us who demoed painting h im during the meeting. He may have another sale special before long. And Jim Wallen will be modeling his new Pirate Captain costume and stories for MAPS next Nov. again!!! He's modeling for 2 of my classes right now, and has been sooo much fun! And I'll check with Terry to see if he will be having another special and will let you know and put either in the newsletter or announce at the meeting and/or both! Terry is such a great human! And his specials are REALLY special great opportunities to invest in some wonderful new colors a bit more easilyi!

Take good care! See you at the Sept. Meeting! Donna ;-}