PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Pencils

Krispit
07-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Hello all, :wave:
I apologize if someone has asked this question before, but I am very new to this forum and to the wonderful world of Art (started 3 weeks ago)! :angel:

I was wondering what section 'Pastel Pencils' comes under? or is there a section on them already and I just haven't found it yet.
I have seen the sections for 'Soft Pastels' and 'Oil Pastels' and I am a bit confused as to which section I should post to. I understand from what I have read in my recently purchased books on pastels, that 'pencil pastels' are classed to-wards 'Hard pastels'.

Hope someone can guide me on this.:smug:

khourianya
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
pastel pencils are technically a hard pastel in pencil form. Here, they are classified with Soft Pastels in terms of where to post work done in them. Many of us use hard, soft and pencils to complete our paintings.

There are also oil pencils that the OP users use to achieve detail in their OP work.'

Hopefully that clears up the mystery for you.

Bringer
07-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi,

Just for the sake of knowing.
Here we don't say soft pastels but dry pastels.

Kind regards,

Josť

Krispit
07-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Hi Cori, thank you for clearing that up for me.:thumbsup:

prettytulips
07-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Cori, What are those OP? I had never heard of that till now and I sold my full set of Sennelier OP to my ex because getting detail was not going to happen with those.... what I was missing were Oil Pencils.. What brands?

khourianya
07-29-2006, 04:20 PM
The brand I have heard of most often is Walnut Hollow. You can buy them in the woodworking section of Michaels. Dick Blick has them too:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz604/28/

Tressa
07-29-2006, 04:46 PM
yep, pastel pencils are just pastels with some wood around them:D
Post in the Pastel Studio...I find that my sticks give me a sharp line, and detail, when broken, or sharp on the side(if they are square), and cover better than my pencils ususally, as the pencils do not go over real softies very well, but I use both, and have done animal portraits using just pencils.
And don't be afraid to post something, if it is in the wrong place, the lovely guides will direct you, or move it for you:)

Krispit
07-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks for your help too Tres, I mainly like to do animal portraits as well.
I am just getting used to my pastel pencils. Yesterday I bought a set of FC half sticks (sqaure ones) so I can use them for the larger areas such as backgrounds.
My husband likes the Borzoi dog breed, so thats what I am going to do now and I will post it when I have finnished.:)