PDA

View Full Version : will work 4 food & other such odditites

Nickel
07-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey, it is me! :)

I am working on ideas for new projects for us!
I need your help!

What would you like to do or see or find out about?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated to help us have fun and learn.

hehe, I am working on an idea now for a food project.....:p

Would you like to work on a painting/drawing/sketch together for an upcoming holiday? A winter or fall scene?

Do you want to work together and learn about technical terms in classical/traditional art?

Do you want to play a game? We can decide the rules you know ;)

Do we want to learn about underdrawings and underpaintings together?

What about a trompe l'oeil for your home, do you want to learn how to do one?

Do you want to create a triptych? Not enough for you??????

How about a polptych?

Not interested in this, how about a lunette? This would be fun!!!

So I need your help!!!!!!!!

Nickel :D

Nickel
07-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Just thinking now, I think I will go ahead and
put together a little demo for us on making a lunette to get us started. ;)

tyree
07-27-2006, 10:32 PM
nickel...not sure what that is....lunette...but ill give it a shot....drawing a fall scene would be neat....i miss the seasons...it would be interesting if you picked one out, and everyone drew it, to see all the different renditions....tyree:wave: :grouphug:

Nickel
07-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi Susan, lol, lunette, lots of answers to what that word means but for here
we will use the art answer

Lunette

A semicircular painting usually created to be displayed over a door or a window with a vault above it. Lunettes also appear at the tops of some altarpieces.

To me, I would normally call something like this a door topper.

I think for us to do a project like this, go ahead and think of a door or place you want to use what you will be making. Take a few measurements of the space so we have an idea of the size lunette we want to make.

I am going to suggest that we do this inexpensive, use a board or a piece of cardboard, gesso to seal, and then we can either paint/draw our picture to it or paste a paper or canvas to the surface. I've never done one, so it will be a true new project for me as well.

I will work on putting together a plan over the weekend and then start a thread for the project. It should be fairly easy to make. ((I hope))

Nickel
07-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Here is an example of lunettes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2006/39040-July_28,_2006_3.jpg

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2006/39040-July_28,_2006_8.jpg

Obsidian Tie
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Oooh! This sounds interesting!

How can I pass up learning something new from someone with so much enthusiasm?

Bring on the lunette!:D

Nickel
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Here is a nice fall picture we might want to use. I will see if I can find anymore.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2006/39040-lunnie.jpg

and close up

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2006/39040-lunnie2.jpg

will post the artists names later.

Nickel

Nickel
07-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Oooh! This sounds interesting!

How can I pass up learning something new from someone with so much enthusiasm?

Bring on the lunette!:D

Hi Obsidian Tie :wave: welcome to wc and classical forum.
Thanks for the sweet words! We are a happy bunch here!
I hope to have us a thread to work on this project real soon, like by Monday.

I hope you will join us! Be thinking of a place you want to put your lunette. The design you choose should fit the location. It'd be cool to do one of these for the Christmas holidays too ;) :D Nickel

tyree
07-28-2006, 11:07 PM
i thought those were called tympanums....cool beans nickel...i like that fall picture too!!!! tyree:wave:

Nickel
07-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks Susan I was hoping you would like the fall picture.
I am looking for a large image, I still don't have the whole painting yet.

Words, lol, typanums, greek right? the other latin based for luna.
I was looking at the top of my door, trying to decide a suitable image,
I don't want to go to small with the painting, can't see too good and the fall painting really deserves the space, it is an awsome landscape view. I'll keep thinking tonight and see how it can work, and not be too hard; it is hard with five figures, lol, I remember putting 12 people in a little boat, not enough room on a 16x20 canvas with old eyes and shaky hands. Cool beans how cute :D Nickel

tyree
07-30-2006, 04:11 PM
i think im going to try a van gogh for my lunette....with limited fall colour...is this okay????tyree:cat:

Nickel
07-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Susan, sure, a limited palette, and your traditional methods will produce a classical art piece. A lunette's subject should really fit into the place you have in mind. For example, a coastal home may want something with a painting of a tall ship. Do you by chance have a glue gun? I am trying to think of ways to produce the lunette frame for you without paint. Of course I think maybe we could use regular school type glue and paper of your choice to color the frame. Do you have a size in mind yet? I was measuring my over door area, I think I can go as big as 1/2 of a 20 inch circle for the composition of the painting to fit. My ceilings are 8 feet high, so over the door is approx. 10 inches. Nickel :)

Nickel
08-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Ok anybody got any other ideas beside a lunette?
I am thinking of a painting/drawing for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas.
What do you all think?
Any takers?
I'll have to start scoping out artists for us to choose from.

If I get time, I still will put together an assortment of ideas
to study based on food. Yep, true, my fav subject.

I'd really like for us to do things we can use in and around our personal life
that will add benefit and help us grow as artist based on traditional art but
using what we have today to work with and allowing our projects to fit in our lives today.

Oh, I remember too, I'd like to make some bookmarks....

So if anyone is reading this, what do you think?
Feedback appreciated......:D Nickel

Obsidian Tie
08-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Oh, I remember too, I'd like to make some bookmarks....

So if anyone is reading this, what do you think?
Feedback appreciated......:D Nickel

Funny you should mention that. I've been thinking of making bookmarks for holiday presents this year. I was trying to decide if I wanted to theme them and what theme to go for. I mean I know that the seasonal theme would be the natural but I'd like to go with something different.

Hmmm,...

I'm also very interested in doing a trompe l'oeil.

Nickel
08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Funny you should mention that. I've been thinking of making bookmarks for holiday presents this year. I was trying to decide if I wanted to theme them and what theme to go for. I mean I know that the seasonal theme would be the natural but I'd like to go with something different.

Hmmm,...

I'm also very interested in doing a trompe l'oeil.

Hi there Obsidian Tie.....lol, great minds think alike......:D

Stealing an idea from one of my favorite bookmarks is to use the persons' name and a poem about the person or a story about the person's name.

Well that is the idea. And of course a classical little picture too will be included even if just a rose.

Have you done a trompe l'oeil before? I haven't but would like to. I have a few paintings over the last few months that have caught my eye, like this one below. Do you have an idea of what you would like to work on as a subject? Thanks for popping by and letting me know your thoughts. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2006/39040-petobooks.jpg

Obsidian Tie
08-08-2006, 01:35 AM
I really like that, it's a really interesting image. I had thought about doing something "book like" on the wall in our den where we keep the majority of our vast book collection.
I read an article in a magazine several years ago about a woman that did her whole basement in trompe l'oeil paintings,...it looked like an ruin from ancient Greece. Really beautiful. I have developed my interest in doing one then. I wish I still had the article.
I'll do some thinking and browsing for ideas!

Nickel
08-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Yep, I like books....I'm a small size painter, in otherwords, not big like a wall. :) I think they do a lot of wall paintings in the decorative art forum. Some neat ideas and lots of tips. I'd be interested in seeing what you decide to paint. :)