GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Valkyria
Year Created: 1997
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 20 cm x 40 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is an old experiment with light I did after spending a day at the Louvre oogling baroque ladies. The original was made with charcoal and crayons, later scanned and worked on in Photoshop.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Besides the questionable motif, a scantily dressed Valkyria with no armor, does the light 'work'? What do you think I lost from the original?

mjkohler
03-16-2002, 04:07 AM
Hi, welcome to Wet Canvas.

This is a nicely drawn piece. To me it appears a little softer than the photo which is good, as the photo for me is a little harsh.

Two things that I would look at doing is;
1. Finish off the bottom left and right corners,
2. You might like to consider darkening the outside of the raised arm so that it fades into the background as it does in the photo.

:) mjk

henrik
03-16-2002, 08:00 AM
Welcome to WC.
I think the light works. Since you ask what is missing in the digital version you must have some ideas yourself - would be interesting to hear what you think...

Here are a few notes...
The original has a freshness that is lacking in the digitial. When pushing for more detail and realism everything has to be made to the same degree of perfection. Things that look ok in the drawing (even if they are not 100% correct) does not bother me, but they do in the more perfected digital version.
In the digital version I am bothered about the size of hands, her left hand is claw like and the right looks too small. I also think her head is too small. I understand that her head is tilted backwords but I get an impression that the horns are sticking out of her ears.

I like the drawing better because the digital feels stiff. In the drawing some work on the face would make a big improvement as it detracts from an otherwise fine drawing. I would also make the black background go to the edges at the bottom.

(mjk, I think you got it wrong, the "photo" is a digitally edited version of the drawing; not the other way around ;)

FunnyFace
03-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked for awhile and found WC to be a great allround resource. Been enjoying both the art and discussions.

I agree, Henrik, the general feel of the drawing is better. The reason her hands and head are smaller and the chest (to me at least) appear wider, is because of sloppy use of the contrast/brightness tool in Photoshop. In the beginning I used to apply lower brightness/higher contrast to the entire picture at once. What happens then is the dark surrounding areas creep in over the body all over and makes it (and especially appendages)smaller while the brighter highlighted area 'rips apart'. I've since learned to be more selective and apply burn/dodge/lighten/darken brushes instead.

Her right hand is the 2078th attempt to get it reasonable before finally giving up :p I think to do it proper the angle of elbow and staff would have to be changed too. It being in the center doesn't help either...

As for mjk thinking it was a photo I choose to take it as a compliment :D