PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy WIP

Holley
07-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Meet my puppy dog 'Jimmy'. He is so full of beans that I have been trying to get a decent picture of him for a while, well at last I succeeded!

For this portrait I took progression shots along the way. I hope you don't mind me uploading my work finished already with the steps to follow, I have just been so busy that I couldn't get here before to do so.

I will try and explain my process as I go as best I can. Not sure how much I will get uploaded right now, but lets make a start....

Jimmy is done on my usual - Canson smoothside, I have chosen 'moonstone' for this project. He is 21x28cm on a sheet roughly A3. Using my faves - pastel pencils, Faber-Castell Pitts and CarbOthellos. Because this is smaller work I am working from my computer, sitting at my desk with my board tilted. I wear a mask for all pastel work I do as I tend to get sore throats otherwise. I have my outline established and have chosen my colours pre beginning. The following will show Jim's photo - I have altered the flash from his eyes in photoshop .....

Holley
07-25-2006, 03:06 AM
I begin my background first because of that reason that it is behind Jimmy.
I thought I would do a grey-like background and work within relation to the shading behind Jim in the photo. It is darker at the top and lighter near the bottom.

So first I apply a mid grey, just colouring lightly - I prefer to work lightly. I colour the entire background with grey and rub it in with my fingers, I do this again.

With a darker grey I work on shadowing to the left of Jim and behind his top right ear. I introduce the darker grey to the top of the background and a lighter grey to the bottom and then white. I always rub in between layers. I have also added a reddy-browny colour to warm it up a bit. I work these until I've had enough, and am ready to move on.

Holley
07-25-2006, 03:35 AM
With the background established I begin to work on Jimmy.
I start with his left ear. I am right handed so I like to work from left to right as I do tend to lean on my work, so this way I will have less smudging.

For all black areas I like to base with another colour as I think it makes a better black. So to begin his ears I have shaded with a dark grey and have edged them with a yellow-brown, I have also introduced the pink in his ear. I work over these with more colour and black, until it looks like the photo.

I like to work one section at a time before moving on. But having said that I do tend to go back to areas if they bug me enough. Sometimes if an area isn't working for me I will move on and go back to it.

I work the eye in the same manner as above - I apply grey and work over it with black. Using a light grey I block in the white fur areas and add the yellow-brown where his markings are. I have also used a mid grey instead of dark grey in areas.

There is a shine on some of his black fur areas so I introduced blue for these.

I got a bit slack in taking some photos between the eyes sorry. I work my way across to the right ear. I colour pink where pink, yellow-brown and light grey inside the ear. I rub all these in.

For his face I have used a light grey to block it in.

Holley
07-25-2006, 03:50 AM
I really wanted the portrait to show more shadows in the white fur areas - which the photo hasn't, so what I did was alter the levels in Photoshop where I could see more of where his shadows are.

I use my mid grey to create these shadow areas on his face as I go along.

In these photos I rework his right ear and create his black fur. By introducing purple and a different pink has made his inner ear area become more like I want it to. I incorporate these same shades a little in the left ear too. I add browns and dark grey for the inner ear creation.

For the white fur on Jim's I have used a white charcoal pencil. It works better for me than just a white pastel as its sort of harder and breaks less often.

I work my way down his face by using the darkened photo for the shadows.

I outline his nose with dark grey and add a bit on pink on his nose.

*Marina*
07-25-2006, 04:00 AM
What a nice painting you made of your puppy. You got his likeness perfectly. It will be a great memory when he has grown up.Really like it.

Holley
07-25-2006, 04:04 AM
In this group of photos you can see I have created his muzzle area.
For his nose I have started with the mid grey and worked my depth of colour up.
I have payed attention to his nose markings.

This entire muzzle area was done by blocking in with the light grey - its almost like an off-white, and two shades of grey, with charcoal white over the top as fur. I darkened areas of his nose with black.

I introduced a bit of pink into his bottom lip grey area and into his nose.

I work my way down his neck area following my dark photo reference. His collar is under his fur so I create that before overlaying his fur.

With Jimmy himself done I move onto his jacket. I use a mid blue and colour it in lightly and rub it in. Then I create the fold areas using a darker blue.

Holley
07-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Thank you Applebee for commenting :D

These last photos show the progress of his jacket and his name thingy.

With his jacket I used three shades of blue, off-white and white.
I also had to rework the shadowing on his left which is over the jacket.
Because of the depth of this I reworked the entire shadow area. I also used the dark grey on the dark creases of the jacket.

I guess with clothing and material etc, my approach is to just paint what you see. If there is light, you paint light, if there is dark go dark etc. You should never assume, always look.

My beginnings of his name tag are to outline it and the text. I did struggle a bit with the text because it is small. Outlining the text makes it easier to colour around.

I guess I should also say that I did use a tortillon in fine areas on this project. Parts I couldn't get my fingers to rub in without smudging the whole thing. My top layers aren't rubbed in, only the background is.

Lastly - add whiskers, sign and date the work.
And wallahhhh! Is done!!!
Thanks for reading my blah, blah, blah, lol!

Thanks to you all for reading, hope you enjoyed it, whew! :lol:

M Douglas
07-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Holley he is absolutely wonderful. I love the look on his face, very expressive. Thank you so much for the step by step photos and very informative WIP. I do have a camera question, your photos come out so clear are you using a tripod?

Melodie

Paula Ford
07-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Amazing work!! Thank you for the WIP...just fantastic!!

Paula

Artaholic
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Beautifully done, thank you for sharing !!

Doodlebug1967
07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Awesome WIP and very informative. He's a beauty too! What kind is he? I can't tell from the cropped image if he's a Jack Russell, Fox Terrier or TFT. I have a TFT and am partial to all 3 breeds.

Ronda

*Violet*
07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
wonderful wip holley !!! ... and another absolutely fabulous painting !! ... how you wrote out your techniques is very informative ... hearing how different people approach the final product is so valuable ... i hope this thread gets promoted to the library !!!

CindyW
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Holley, you've rendered him beautifully!! Nice work. What a cutie! :)
Cindy

Holley
07-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Thank you Melodie, Paula, Gerry, Rhonda, Violet and Cindy.
I really appreciate your comments!!!

Melodie - No tripod, I do have one but for these shots I just took them as I went just by putting my work upright against the computer and photographing.

Ronda - He is a Mini Foxy/Chihuaha x Jack Russell. His whole body is white except for two little black spots on his back - like a butterfly, lol!

Violet - You know it was you* who inspired me to create this WIP! I am glad you liked it. Perhaps I will share more WIP's in the future!

Rose Baggs
07-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Gorgeous puppy! Wondeful work and wip!!! :)

Holley
07-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Thank you Rose! :)

chewie
07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for sharing~

Netty
07-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Jimmy is just so cute Holley. My mum has a mini foxie who I would love to paint. With the floppy ears to, lol...

Your WIP is great and thank you for going to the trouble to share it with us!!
You did an excellent job!

Netty.

ElleZee
11-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Great WIP! More...More...more..WIP"S...P-L-E-A-S-E!!!! Jimmy is a cutie pie!

Thank you so much for sharing your techniques. I will be visiting/checking your web-site for WIP's. Love the eyes on all your animals. So soulfull. And your detail on the fur is stunning.

Merethe T
11-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Holley - awesome work, again!! Thank you so much for the WIP, very informative! I rated this, this deserves to make it into the library....

Holley
11-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks so much!!!
Gosh it's been a little while since I did this one so was a bit surprised to see it had been commented on again. Thank you all!
I do hope to share more WIP's in the future :)

Mary Brigid
11-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Holley I am amazed. What a wonderful wip and a wonderful painting of Jimmiy. I will be popping back to this thread again as i have enjoyed it so much. Thank you :clap: :clap: :clap: