PDA

View Full Version : Bee & FLower...scratchboard WIP

Bertoni
07-24-2006, 01:39 PM
This is a xpost from pen/ink forum.
This is the first step in a WIP experiment where I'll include color and india ink.
Haven't done any color in my scratchboard etchings till now. So will post the next step here soon. C&C. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2006/28168-Bee_Flower_Scratchboard_WIP.jpg

Mary Woodul
07-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Bertoni, this is so beautiful that I thought it was finished. I like the format, too!

Bertoni
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Mary:
I started adding color and so far don't know if I like it...glad you liked the black and white. I'll work on it some more and hopefully bring it back to where I'll be happy with it. Color isn't easy with scratchboard, but I'm learning!!!

Bertoni
07-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Here's the color version. I didn't go overboard with color since it's my first try with color in scratchbd. My next one will be on white Claybord and will have a lot of color together with india ink!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2006/28168-Bee__Flower_finish.jpg

Mary Woodul
07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
It looks nice Bertoni, you have such beautiful highlights. Personally I do like the black & white more but that doesn't mean that this one isn't stunning either. Both are beautiful pieces.:)

Bertoni
07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks Mary! I know what you mean...the color versus the black and white on this one! I like the b&w best myself, but it is my first stab at color with scratchboard. :)

gingery
07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm glad you tried the colour, & sometimes it works to just add colour to one element of the work. This is a great work!:clap: You just keep on getting better! :thumbsup: My hat is off to you, as this must take the patience of a saint.:cool:
ginger

mhimeswc
07-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Although I like the color one, I think the black and white is more striking. Nice composition!

Michelle

Bertoni
07-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Ginger:
Thanks much for the comments! I had more color in this at first and it just didn't work for me. So I washed it off and what remained after it dried is what you see now. I wished it was all off and back to the black and white, but I think it works!!:)

Dave Slaughter
07-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Bertoni, I love seeing your pieces. The subjects are always so refreshing. Personally I think the color version came out fine, but I agree it would be hard to improve on the B&W version.

Bertoni
07-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Dave:
Thanks much for looking! I must say I totally agree with you! I'm almost sorry I added any color to this one! It should have remained black and white!

Jakeally
07-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Love it ... that flower just pops off the page:clap: :clap:
Don't ever stop experimenting. Some you will be very happy with and some you won't but if you don't try you will never know.

Bertoni
07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Chris:
That's for sure!!! Experimentation is my middle name!!!:lol:

Mary Woodul
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Bertoni, never regret having used the color and don't let it keep you from doing it because I know you will do marvelous things with color. Your work is too good to ever look less good. I think the difference here is that the colored one is beautiful and stunning and the B&W is emotional.

Bertoni
07-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Mary:
Good point!!! Makes a lot of sense. Will continue exploring color in these scratchboards!!!:)