PDA

View Full Version : Let's put "wetcanvas" in our eBay descriptions!

timelady
03-15-2002, 05:01 AM
This came up in the "How can I find your art?" thread. Instead of keeping track of everyone's ebay ID I thought it would be nice if we just stuck the word "wetcanvas" somewhere in our descriptions so that we could do a search and come up with everyone's auctions.

It could just be at the end of your description sitting on its own even. This came up before as an idea for an eBay group of our own, like ebsq, but I'm only suggested it to help us be nosey about each other's stuff, nothing so grand as an official group.

Any thoughts? I'm going to add it to my items today. :D

Tina.

kaybob99
03-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Great idea. How do you obtain IDs of those who submit artwork to ebay?

hairballsdotcom
03-15-2002, 02:01 PM
I've put it in my last two auctions. Will continue to do so. Just did a search -- came up with mine and a BUNCH from you Tina. This will be excellent if everyone does it! I also took this idea to another group I'm with -- League of Animal Artists (animalartists.net). We're going to do the same thing. COOL!:clap:

Sumafra
03-15-2002, 02:33 PM
I like the idea. Will do it too next time I list.

CarlyHardy
03-15-2002, 03:38 PM
I'm sure most of you are aware of the 'third party' issues with ebay. You can't put the name of a website into your auctions...even your personal website.

However....since Wet Canvas is rather generic in terminology...you could use it in a statement within your text. I don't think that would be bad..
carly

Kaybob, check out the 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum for ebay ID's.

Sumafra
03-15-2002, 10:43 PM
How about a sentence somewhere in our description stating simply: Member of the great Wet Canvas community.

How does that sound? :)

timelady
03-16-2002, 07:02 AM
I just put "Member of Wetcanvas!" in the middle of my CV paragraph. I figure the customer doesn't have to know what it is and it doesn't look too out of place there. :)

kaybob - there's a sticky thread at the top of this forum called How Can I find Your Art on eBay? or somethign like that. People give their eBay ID there, but I thought this would be quicker and easier to search on eBay.

Tina.

hairballsdotcom
03-16-2002, 10:45 AM
WETCANVAS SHOULD ALWAYS BE WRITTEN AS ONE WORD, RIGHT?

Sumafra
03-16-2002, 11:39 PM
Good point, Lori. One Word. Wetcanvas.

PS: It works. Tina's and Lori's auctions came up when I searched 'Wetcanvas'.

CarlyHardy
03-17-2002, 12:50 AM
I don't see any problem with saying "Member of WetCanvas"....since we also give information about membership in other art groups.

OOPS...I just listed 2 new paintings and forgot to do this! Next time....I promise!
carly (I'm off to the beach for a week...take care of all the new business for me..LOL!)

tammy
03-17-2002, 10:00 PM
I've already done this awhile back in some of my auction descriptions. The art was from one of the reference photos in our reference section so in my description of the auction I mentioned that the art was inspired by an photo from a wetcanvas member. It seemed to have flew. My auction did not get pulled.
I didn't mentioned the members name I just said "member of wetcanvas" without the dot com part.

Maggie J
03-18-2002, 06:14 AM
How about 'hiding' Wetcanvas in the image file name?!

Would that make it come up in the search?

Maggie

Computer buff........not!!

hairballsdotcom
03-19-2002, 01:49 AM
Sorry Maggie -- good idea, but it doesn't work. I searched for some of my own image file names, and it won't find them.

Something I noticed today ---- you CAN NOT search the descriptions for completed auctions! Has that always been that way? I had certainly not noticed it -- I thought the search criteria was the same in either one. Has anyone else noticed this?

SO my point here, is unfortunately, we won't be able to keep track of each others final sales since we can't search the description for 'wetcanvas' after an auction is over. Too bad -- thats the interesting part! :D

timelady
03-19-2002, 05:56 AM
Hey, all I see in a search is still mine and hairball's! (love the mechanic photo, btw) Today I'm listing another item cause I've got a guy bidding on 2 paintings - including one of my very abstract ones. He's bid on other abstract works so I'm going to list a larger piece that goes with the one he's winning. Hey, you never know. :D

Tina.

kjsspot
03-19-2002, 01:33 PM
OK. <g> I put Member of WetCanvas on one of my auctions. The rest will have to wait for new auctions. LoL I don't feel like revising all of them right now. ;)

kjsspot
03-20-2002, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hairballsdotcom
you CAN NOT search the descriptions for completed auctions!

Hey Lori! It can be done. Lemme tell you how. First of all, click the search button at the top of the page. Then go to advanced search (second listed) and there is a box to check to search completed auctions only. Hope that helps!!

Of course, I just checked it and nobody that has Wetcanvas on their auctions has one that's completed yet. LoL

CathyD
03-21-2002, 12:47 AM
I am waiting for my auctions to end and then I will be sure and put member of wetcanvas on my description too. I think it is a great idea!
Cathy

hairballsdotcom
03-21-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by kjsspot
[QUOTE]Hey Lori! It can be done. Lemme tell you how. First of all, click the search button at the top of the page. Then go to advanced search (second listed) and there is a box to check to search completed auctions only.Nope, that doesn't work. I tried searching for several of my ended auctions (using my name which is in every one of them) and it didn't find a one. Darn! :mad:

Sumafra
03-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Lori Lee, I just went to completed items and searched for hairballs and several of your completed auctions came up. However, I searched for wetcanvas and nothing came up. Boy, those searches are inconsistent as h..... I 've found this before while searcing for my own auctions. They just don't always come up. Frustrating....:confused:

hairballsdotcom
03-22-2002, 02:18 AM
Sumafra, Hairballs is in the TITLE thats why they come up on the completed search. Best I can tell the title is the ONLY thing you can search in the completed section. I KNOW its not always been that way. I remembers doing very detailed searches in the completed ones when I did research on items I use to sell. I just wonder when they changed it? I hate it when things change and I don't notice.

Dave Carter
03-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Good idea...will do:cat:

cagathoc
03-22-2002, 03:04 PM
I did it too. :)

Nice bunch of art coming up under Wetcanas search!

Tina you have a lot up right now~

hairballsdotcom
03-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Wow, I just did a search and came up with 47! I think I counted 7 different artists (including me).

Lets keep this thread at the top of the heap so more will join in!

CarlyHardy
03-30-2002, 01:10 AM
Okay, I've added....member of wetcanvas to my auctions, too.
carly

hairballsdotcom
04-16-2002, 02:37 PM
I'm really enjoying searching for everyones auctions. If you haven't started including WETCANVAS in your descriptions, PLEASE DO! Its so much fun to see what everyone is selling!!!

My search today came up with 35 -- but 12 of those are mine!

FYI -- a 4 days ago I had someone buy 4 of my prints with BUY IT NOW! :clap: Guess adding that feature to auctions is a good idea. Unfortuantely they haven't paid yet. :(

arlene
04-23-2002, 10:02 AM
yep put it on my auctions.