PDA

View Full Version : your opinion on frames, please

Deborah Secor
07-22-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm in the process of framing for a show. I found some old frames that I really like so I decided to see how they would look. Here are two of them. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2006/23609-DSCN6068.JPG
Really, the frame is square... I just didn't take the time to make a perfect shot. 11x15"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2006/23609-DSCN6074.JPG
This one actually has a sort of dry celery green mat. 12x15" I don't have it mounted in the frame yet, which is why the shadow is odd looking. I just put them down on my floor--don't worry, my walls are not dirty cement! LOL

I have two others that I hope to get around to shooting, too. Another black frame and one that's gray-ish gold. I'll add them when/if I can. Meanwhile, any opinions??? Thanks!

Deborah

Merriel
07-22-2006, 07:18 PM
I like the frames. I think they are plain and clean lines, they don't detract from the paintings. I would like to see them double matted.
in an off white linen. But, that is a personal preference. I feel it opens the painting rather than stops the eye. But that is a personal prefence. They
really look beautiful. Lovely paintings and framing.

Your paintings are beautiful.

Leirrem

pmac
07-22-2006, 07:41 PM
I like them both. The first one brings out the feeling of light in the picture and the second enhances the darks and feeling of depth. Pmac

bluefish
07-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Deborah:

The 1st one is perfect - mat/frame combination really shows off the beautifully done painting - I love all the colors you have so enabled into a pile of rocks!

I know everyone is pushing 'black' frames and I have gotten caught up in the hype BUT I still find that white mats and Gold frames outsell everything else - I think a simple gold frame with the current mat would do wonders for the total picture - the pastel piece is lovely.

I used to double mat everything and liked the look but found single mat sell as quickly as doubles - I'm a single guy now!

best reguards - 'the fish that's blue!'

Deborah Secor
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your opinions... :)

Lierrem, I use double antique white mats for competitions and exhibitions, but then I have my paintings in gold wood frames, too. I like the warmth of a mostly-neutral color now and then for a friendly show. Now watch, some local art critic for the paper will come through unexpectedly and blast me for these mats...!

Once I get it back, I'll also show you a painting I'm hanging in The Albuquerque Museum. I decided to frame it with museum glass and no mats. Very simple look with a cherry wood frame and spacers. I hope it looks as good as I think it will... Man, that glass is pricey, too, but I sure didn't want to cut and fit it myself.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
07-22-2006, 08:30 PM
We crossed, 'blue'! I guess I don't pay any attention to fads so I didn't know that black was in right now... I bought the black one in about 1982! Everything old is new again.

I'm a 'single' gal now, too, in the sense you mention. :rolleyes: I usually use fomecor spacers under the mat, though for these I used matboard. The rabbets were too teensy for more depth. It'll work...

Thanks.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
07-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Here are the other two...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2006/23609-DSCN6078.JPG
Oooo, this one is pretty crooked, too! Sorry.This frame is black like the other one. It looks a little warm from the nighttime lighting, I guess. The painting is fairly accurate though. It's 12x15" on La Carte.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2006/23609-DSCN6081.JPG
19x15" (It's in a plastic bag under the mat, which is why you see that rippled effect.)

They won't be hanging in a grouping, so my concern is that they each look good individually. I'll probably fit them on Monday, since it's been a long day already and I hate cleaning glass at night!

Thanks for your opinions...

Deborah

Bringer
07-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi,

I like the first and third combinations.
The painting wins a certain glow, in my opinion.
Wish you success with your show.

Kind regards,

Josť

Anda G
07-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't know anything about framing but I would like to see how everything is presented when you do decide. I thought all the frames had to be the same for a show. Bland and from the Acme frame company. :D

I think it's exciting to have a show. Good for you. :clap:

Andagail

Artistammy
07-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I like all the frames.
Tammy

Merriel
07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
These are beautiful Dee. Funny you mention no mat. I just framed a painting like you did. No mat. I usually use foam core for spacers but
Peggy suggested you can buy spacers. Which I did. I bought them in
black, they do not show at all easy to due and fit in the rabbit of the frame.
I am very happy with the way it looks. I used a nice gold frame. It is in a
show at the Haggin Museum in Stockton. Your work is really lovely. and
your framing sets them off beautifully. Sometimes its such a drag to have
to do it all. Photographer, framer, artist, delivery/pickup. Ahhh but the
rewards. (LOL). The satisfaction of it all.

Leirrem

Deborah Secor
07-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, since no one said "Yuck! I hate those black frames" or "why did you put a dirt colored frame on that painting?" I'm going ahead and framing as I showed them.

Leirrem, I like the matless look for some paintings--it really makes them look more like an oil when you can't see the glass. My concern for this one is I didn't use a liner--I may regret that! The painting I'm having framed is 18x24" and with the glass upwards of $75 I figured it was best to front another few bucks and let the framer fit it! Even at wholesale, if I broke that puppy I'd be a very unhappy artist... However, I plan to figure out how to use those spacers. I just sent off for some samples of different spacers to see what works out. The ones I received were teeeeeensy, so now I know to look for 1/4" width or so. I've always used black foam core, which works but is a pain to cut accurately.

Andagail, I do want to explain that whenever my work is hanging as a grouping--for booth shows or in the galleries--I use a double antique white mat and either all gold or all cherry wood frames. If my work is going to a pastel show or national competition, I frame this way. But for a friendly show with my students in a little gallery we rent locally, I thought I'd a) save a bit of cash by re-using frames I had, and b) find images that really looked nice with the frames on hand (I have a lot to choose from!), and c) change up the look a bit and see if the patrons find it appealing. So, we'll see!

Thanks for everyone's help...
Deborah

Tressa
07-24-2006, 09:09 PM
They all look great Dee, and sometimes it is nice to just frame the way YOU like it!!:)
Tres

Mike_Beeman
07-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Dee...nice selection, they look great!